Terror Convicts on Death Penalty Referred to Egypt Mufti

Confrontations between security forces and demonstrators during the 2013 Nahda sit-in. (AFP)
Confrontations between security forces and demonstrators during the 2013 Nahda sit-in. (AFP)
TT

Terror Convicts on Death Penalty Referred to Egypt Mufti

Confrontations between security forces and demonstrators during the 2013 Nahda sit-in. (AFP)
Confrontations between security forces and demonstrators during the 2013 Nahda sit-in. (AFP)

The Cairo criminal court referred to the grand mufti on Tuesday four detainees charged with forming a “terrorist cell.”

The mufti will examine their case and issue his non-binding opinion on whether a death sentence against them should be upheld.

Sentences against 30 other members of the “terrorist cell” will be announced on February 19. The charges against them include forming an illegal group, violating public property and the possession of weapons and ammunition for terrorist purposes.

Separately, the Giza criminal court sentenced to various prison terms 262 suspects for security-related offenses over the “al-Nahda sit-in” of 2013.

Seventeen people were sentenced to life in prison, 223 were given 15 years and another 22 accused were given three years.

The court acquitted 115 others accused in the case.

The court also ordered that those sentenced be fined a total of nearly 40 million Egyptian pounds ($2.27 million) for damaging public property.

The accused in the case were arrested while authorities were dispersing a rally held in the aftermath of the ouster of former President Mohammed Morsi in 2013. Their trial has taken up three years, while some other detainees are waiting appeals of their sentences.

Charges against them include murder, resisting authorities and possession of arms.

Earlier on Tuesday, Egypt’s Interior Ministry announced that eight terrorists were killed during a security raid in the al-Arish region.



Israeli Tanks at Edge of Rafah's Mawasi Refuge Zone

A man walks across  fallen tents the day after a strike on the al-Mawasi area, northwest of the Palestinian city of Rafah on June 22, 2024.  (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A man walks across fallen tents the day after a strike on the al-Mawasi area, northwest of the Palestinian city of Rafah on June 22, 2024. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
TT

Israeli Tanks at Edge of Rafah's Mawasi Refuge Zone

A man walks across  fallen tents the day after a strike on the al-Mawasi area, northwest of the Palestinian city of Rafah on June 22, 2024.  (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A man walks across fallen tents the day after a strike on the al-Mawasi area, northwest of the Palestinian city of Rafah on June 22, 2024. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)

Israeli tanks advanced to the edge of the Mawasi displaced persons' camp in the northwest of the southern Gaza city of Rafah on Sunday in fierce fighting with Hamas-led fighters, residents said.
Images of two Israeli tanks stationed on a hilltop overlooking the coastal area went viral on social media, but Reuters could not independently verify them.

"The fighting with the resistance has been intense. The occupation forces are overlooking the Mawasi area now, which forced families there to head for Khan Younis," said one resident, who asked not to be named, on a chat app.

More than eight months into Israel's war in the Hamas-administered Palestinian enclave, its advance is focused on the two areas its forces have yet to seize: Rafah on Gaza's southern tip and the area surrounding Deir al-Balah in the center.

Residents said Israeli tanks had pushed deeper into western and northern Rafah in recent days, blowing up dozens of houses.

The Israeli military said it was continuing "intelligence-based, targeted operations" in the Rafah area and had located weapons stores and tunnel shafts, and killed Palestinian gunmen.

The armed wings of Hamas and the Islamic Jihad movement said their fighters had attacked Israeli forces in Rafah with anti-tank rockets and mortar bombs and pre-planted explosive devices.

Elsewhere, an Israeli airstrike killed eight Palestinians in Sabra, a suburb of Gaza City in the north, and another strike killed two people in Nuseirat in central Gaza.

The military said it had struck dozens of targets throughout the Strip.

On Saturday, Palestinian health officials said at least 40 Palestinians had been killed in separate Israeli strikes in some northern Gaza districts, where the Israeli army said it had attacked Hamas's military infrastructure. Hamas said the targets were the civilian population.

In Beit Lahiya in the northern Gaza Strip, health officials at Kamal Adwan Hospital said a baby had died of malnutrition, taking the number of children dead of malnutrition or dehydration since Oct. 7 to at least 30, a number that health officials say reflects under-recording.