Chris Mepham: It’s Surreal that Ryan Giggs Wants to Have a Chat with you

Chris Mepham. (Brentford FC)
Chris Mepham. (Brentford FC)
TT

Chris Mepham: It’s Surreal that Ryan Giggs Wants to Have a Chat with you

Chris Mepham. (Brentford FC)
Chris Mepham. (Brentford FC)

As Chris Mepham tells his story in the same west London hotel where Ryan Giggs asked to meet him a couple of months ago, it is tempting to wonder how differently his career could have turned out had his mum not persuaded him to have one last crack at academy football, or if the center‑back for North Greenford reserves had managed to get away from work on time.

Mepham’s journey is about much more than fate, however, and in many ways highlights the huge challenges facing any youngster who sets out to become a professional footballer. Released by Chelsea at 14, rejected by Watford and turned away by Queens Park Rangers after being given some brutal feedback that shattered his confidence, Mepham drifted into Sunday league football before resurfacing at Brentford, where he has made such an impression this season that in January Bournemouth had a bid of £6.5m plus add-ons rejected for a 20-year-old with only 14 appearances to his name.

“I still can’t believe that sort of money was put on the table,” says Mepham, who is expected to make his Wales debut against China on Thursday. “I remember the day before deadline day I was having an afternoon nap and my dad came upstairs and with a smile on his face said: ‘Your agent is on the phone.’ When he told me what Bournemouth had offered, I couldn’t believe it. I’d only made eight league starts. It was so surreal. I just didn’t think that moment would ever come, especially five years ago.”

Back then Mepham was reeling from a series of setbacks that started with Chelsea cutting him loose. Mepham remembers his dad taking the call at home and instantly knowing by his expression that it was bad news. “They said there were people higher in the pecking order, center-backs like Jake Clarke‑Salter and Fikayo Tomori, and that physically others were more developed than me,” Mepham says. “It was a tough one to take but, in fairness to Chelsea, I also felt others were ahead of me in that last year.”

What followed was much harder to accept. “After a six-week trial at Watford they brought me into a meeting at Vicarage Road and said they didn’t feel I was at the level they wanted and that there were quite a few things I could improve on. So that was a big letdown. The other one I had lined up was QPR, and that’s my boyhood team. They had a meeting with me and said: ‘When we come to sign someone, we look at one thing which we might try and develop. But we can’t see anything we can work on with you.’ That was very hard to hear. I remember my dad turned around and said: ‘He was at Chelsea for six years. There must be something there.’”

Mepham was devastated. “My mindset after that was awful; that took a massive chunk out of me. In your head you feel you are never going to get accepted anywhere. So at that point I said to my mum and dad that I wanted to take myself out of academy football. I remember enjoying school matches, which I wasn’t able to do when I was at Chelsea, and playing in a Sunday league, half-accepting that this is all it is going to be.”

Then came a window of opportunity, after a game for North Greenford reserves at Uxbridge. “I wasn’t meant to be playing but the bloke starting in front of me had work commitments,” Mepham recalls. “I had a really good game and when I went into the clubhouse afterwards, a Brentford scout called Shaun O’Connor asked how old I was. I think he was shocked that I was 16 playing in men’s football. He said he wanted me to train with Brentford’s under‑16s. My dad was buzzing but I didn’t really want to do it because of what had happened before. But my mum said: ‘Even if you don’t want to go for yourself, go for me because I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t convince you to go.’”

It is a good thing that Mepham listens to his mum. He impressed Brentford enough to be given a two‑year scholarship, eventually progressed to the club’s B team and went on to make his debut in the FA Cup last year. His first start was last September, against Norwich in the Carabao Cup, although Mepham feared the worst when he gave away a penalty after 10 minutes. “I thought that was my big chance wasted.”

Nothing could have been further from the truth, as Dean Smith, Brentford’s manager, explained to Mepham recently when the two reflected on that game. Smith liked the way that Mepham, who models his game on John Stones and is not a dissimilar build to the Manchester City defender, kept trying to get on the ball – something that shone through during a run in the team around the turn of the year that prompted interest from Eddie Howe, Bournemouth’s manager, and Giggs, who had just taken charge of Wales.

“Again, quite surreal that someone like Ryan Giggs wants to have a chat with you, especially in his first week in the job,” says Mepham, who qualifies for Wales through his dad’s parents and has represented the country at under-20 and under-21 level. “He was really complimentary, saying he’s seen a couple of my games and that he’s quite keen in the next couple of years to bring me through.”

Playing for Wales in the China Cup would complete a “crazy” season for Mepham, who gives the impression that he has never looked back from the moment Brentford showed the faith in him that had been so hard to find elsewhere. “Having someone believe in you … you’ll never understand how much that means unless you’ve had knockbacks. So that was the best moment ever.”

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.