Iran is Trying to 'Smuggle' €300 Mn from Germany

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang shake hands after a news conference at the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang shake hands after a news conference at the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
TT

Iran is Trying to 'Smuggle' €300 Mn from Germany

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang shake hands after a news conference at the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang shake hands after a news conference at the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

Iran is negotiating to withdraw €300 million in cash from Germany and transfer it to Iran, amid fears of a freeze on its funds in European banks as US sanctions enter into effect next November.

The information came at a time when German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday Germany remains committed to the nuclear non-proliferation agreement with Iran that was rejected by US President Donald Trump, but it was for individual firms to decide if they wanted to invest there.

Speaking alongside China’s Premier Li Keqiang, Merkel said companies, which could risk punitive sanctions from the US if they do business with Iran, must decide for themselves if they wanted to take that risk.

“We remain committed to the nuclear agreement. We think it was well negotiated,” Merkel said, indicating: “there is more that needs to be negotiated with Iran, but we think it is better to stay in the agreement.”

Tehran is seeking to withdraw the funds from the Europaeisch-Iranische Handelsbank AG (eihbank) because it is worried that it could run out of cash when fresh US sanctions against its financial sector take effect, Bild newspaper reported.

Negotiations to get millions out of the European-Iranian Commercial Bank in Hamburg are taking place between senior representatives of the office of the Chancellor, the foreign Ministry and Finance Ministry, and senior representative of the Central Bank of Iran Ali Tarsali.

It is planned that the Bundesbank will remove £300 million and will give the money to the representatives of the Iranian authorities, after which it will be transported from Germany to Tehran aboard an Iranian aircraft.

Iran told the German Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) it needed the cash from the accounts “to pass on to Iranian citizens who require cash while travelling abroad, given their inability to access recognised credit cards,” Bild said.

BaFin was now reviewing the request, which had been briefed to senior officials in the chancellery, foreign ministry and finance ministry, the newspaper reported.

The finance ministry had no immediate comment. The Bundesbank, BaFin and the foreign ministry declined to comment.

Also, a spokeswoman for eihbank declined to comment, citing bank secrecy laws.

German Finance Ministry spokesperson stated that this is the first time such a case has been examined. For his part, a spokesman for the German Foreign Ministry said that part of the review concerns whether there are violations of the sanctions through this procedure.

US and Israeli intelligence agencies fear the money could be used to fund armed groups in the Middle East, but German government officials said they had no indications of such plans, Bild reported.

United States has given companies operating in Iran, including Europe, until November to withdraw from the Iranian market or else it will also face US sanctions. Washington has also called on Iranian oil-importing countries to halt imports by November.

The remaining Western European countries, UK, France and Germany, as well as Russia and China have tried to provide economic incentives to Iran to urge it not to withdraw from the deal.

Representatives of these countries met in Vienna a few days ago and made an offer to Iran, which Tehran said was insufficient.

Germany’s foreign minister Heiko Maas said on Friday world powers would not be able to fully compensate for companies leaving Iran due to new US sanctions, but warned Tehran that abandoning its nuclear deal would cause more harm to its economy.

“We will not be able to compensate for everything that arises from companies pulling out of Iran,” Heiko Maas told reporters before a round of talks among the remaining parties to the deal.

Iranian MP Mohammad Dahqan was quoted by the Fars news agency saying that the German government seized a portion of Iran’s foreign exchange assets due to the threat of new US sanctions against Tehran.

"After the US withdrawal from the JCPOA, it seemed wrong to trust Europeans," Dehqan said, according to Fars news agency.

However, Iranian Foreign Ministry rejected reports about blocking part of Iran’s assets in Germany. Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said that the claims on blocking Iranian assets in Germany is a psychological war aimed at undermining the ties between Iran and the European states.

Earlier this year, Iran’s central bank, Bank Markazi, has filed a suit in Luxembourg against Deutsche Boerse’s Clearstream unit seeking to recover $4.9 billion in assets plus interest. Clearstream froze the assets on suspicion of terror financing.

Meanwhile, US ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, is trying to attract small and medium business to enter US market rather than the Iranian. He triggered harsh criticism after tweeting “German companies doing business in Iran should wind down operations immediately.”

However, Grenell seems to have changed to a softer approach to his host country than it first appeared. He began engaging business executives with an offer to help them tap the much larger and lucrative US market, according to people briefed on the talks, according to Politico. The Ambassador met with the German Chambers of Commerce and Industry and about a dozen companies to make his pitch.

Some 10,000 small and medium-sized German companies have been investing in Iran since the nuclear deal in 2015, in addition to large companies such as Siemens and Daimler.

The German government is trying to provide guarantees to these companies so as not to withdraw from the Iranian market in face of US pressure and fears of sanctions. But economists expect the withdrawal of the bulk of companies operating in Iran, especially those that have a chance to the US market, which is larger and more important than the Iranian market.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.