Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
TT
20

Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)

Egypt’s Interior Ministry announced that six people, including two women, have been arrested for formed a "terrorist cell" that planned the failed suicide bombing attack at the Church of the Virgin Mary in Mostorod, north of Cairo, on Saturday.

Dozens of Copts survived the attempted bombing that targeted worshipers gathered to celebrate the annual Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

The Ministry said it identified the terrorist cell associated with the suicide attacker, Omar Mohammed Mustafa, and its members have been apprehended.

Security services released the names and photographs of the members of the group who were indicted. One of the women, Radwa, 42, is a key member in promoting extremist ideas and providing financial support to terrorist elements.

In related news, Egyptian security forces killed 12 suspected terrorists in raids on their hideouts in al-Arish, North Sinai.

Security sources told the state news agency that the forces came under fire when they raided a compound where the suspected militants were hiding, killing them in the shootout. The authorities were trying to verify their identities.

North Sinai has been witnessing an extensive security operation, known as Comprehensive Sinai 2018, launched by the army and police since February to purge the province of takfiris and criminal elements.

On Sunday, a government committee conducted an inspection tour to displaced citizens of North Sinai, who fled their residences due to the war on ISIS.

North Sinai Governor, Major General Abdel Fattah Harhour said that the needs of those transferred from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah will be provided in coordination with provincial authorities.

He stated that the committee met with residents from these two areas in order to inquire about their various needs and problems. They have been relocated to Ismailia, Beheira, Sharqia and Monufia.

Harhour pointed out that residential units in Arish had been allocated to those who moved from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah. He added that government will give 1,400 units of social housing units in Arish for free with a monthly payment of LE100 per month for electricity, water and various services.

Social Solidarity in North Sinai announced it will increase the amount of monthly allowances for each family from LE800 pounds to LE1,000 as of last July.

Director of Social Solidarity Directorate in North Sinai, Mounir Abo al-Kheir told Asharq Al-Awsat that the money will be disbursed from the North Sinai Relief Fund, which provides subsidies and assistance to families of martyrs, the injured and citizens, who suffered due to the war on terrorism in their region.

The Fund was established in 2016 of a budget amounting to LE107 million pounds from the Ministry of Social Solidarity, the Ministry of Finance and Long live Egypt Fund.

Displaced citizens were relieved with the new measures. Suleiman Eid Swarka, one of the displaced from Sheikh Zuwaid, said that his demands from the committee can be summed up with the following: monthly subsidies and aid, as well as providing alternative housing and enrolling his children in schools.

An official source in the committee admitted they were surprised by the number of the problems people are facing, including the need for "service facilities in areas where they are gathered, such as roads and schools.” He noted that a major problem is the need for monthly subsidies and free treatments.

The committee visited more than 40 communities, revealed the source, adding that it will continue its tour.



US Sanctions Russia-Based Network for Helping Yemen’s Houthis

Houthi supporters attend a protest against US airstrikes on Houthi positions, on al-Quds Day in Sanaa, Yemen, 28 March 2025. (EPA)
Houthi supporters attend a protest against US airstrikes on Houthi positions, on al-Quds Day in Sanaa, Yemen, 28 March 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

US Sanctions Russia-Based Network for Helping Yemen’s Houthis

Houthi supporters attend a protest against US airstrikes on Houthi positions, on al-Quds Day in Sanaa, Yemen, 28 March 2025. (EPA)
Houthi supporters attend a protest against US airstrikes on Houthi positions, on al-Quds Day in Sanaa, Yemen, 28 March 2025. (EPA)

The United States imposed sanctions on Wednesday on Russia-based people and entities working to help procure weapons and commodities - including stolen Ukrainian grain - for Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis, the Treasury Department said.

The operatives, who included Russia-based Afghan businessman Hushang Ghairat and his brother, Russia-based Afghan businessman Sohrab Ghairat, helped senior Houthi official Sa’id al-Jamal, procure millions of dollars’ worth of commodities from Russia for shipment to Houthi-controlled parts of Yemen, Treasury said.

The goods included weapons and sensitive goods, as well as stolen Ukrainian grain, the department said in a statement.

"The Houthis remain reliant on Sa’id al-Jamal and his network to procure critical goods to supply the group’s terrorist war machine," said Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent. "Today’s action underscores our commitment to degrading the Houthis’ ability to threaten the region through their destabilizing activities."