Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
TT

Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)

Egypt’s Interior Ministry announced that six people, including two women, have been arrested for formed a "terrorist cell" that planned the failed suicide bombing attack at the Church of the Virgin Mary in Mostorod, north of Cairo, on Saturday.

Dozens of Copts survived the attempted bombing that targeted worshipers gathered to celebrate the annual Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

The Ministry said it identified the terrorist cell associated with the suicide attacker, Omar Mohammed Mustafa, and its members have been apprehended.

Security services released the names and photographs of the members of the group who were indicted. One of the women, Radwa, 42, is a key member in promoting extremist ideas and providing financial support to terrorist elements.

In related news, Egyptian security forces killed 12 suspected terrorists in raids on their hideouts in al-Arish, North Sinai.

Security sources told the state news agency that the forces came under fire when they raided a compound where the suspected militants were hiding, killing them in the shootout. The authorities were trying to verify their identities.

North Sinai has been witnessing an extensive security operation, known as Comprehensive Sinai 2018, launched by the army and police since February to purge the province of takfiris and criminal elements.

On Sunday, a government committee conducted an inspection tour to displaced citizens of North Sinai, who fled their residences due to the war on ISIS.

North Sinai Governor, Major General Abdel Fattah Harhour said that the needs of those transferred from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah will be provided in coordination with provincial authorities.

He stated that the committee met with residents from these two areas in order to inquire about their various needs and problems. They have been relocated to Ismailia, Beheira, Sharqia and Monufia.

Harhour pointed out that residential units in Arish had been allocated to those who moved from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah. He added that government will give 1,400 units of social housing units in Arish for free with a monthly payment of LE100 per month for electricity, water and various services.

Social Solidarity in North Sinai announced it will increase the amount of monthly allowances for each family from LE800 pounds to LE1,000 as of last July.

Director of Social Solidarity Directorate in North Sinai, Mounir Abo al-Kheir told Asharq Al-Awsat that the money will be disbursed from the North Sinai Relief Fund, which provides subsidies and assistance to families of martyrs, the injured and citizens, who suffered due to the war on terrorism in their region.

The Fund was established in 2016 of a budget amounting to LE107 million pounds from the Ministry of Social Solidarity, the Ministry of Finance and Long live Egypt Fund.

Displaced citizens were relieved with the new measures. Suleiman Eid Swarka, one of the displaced from Sheikh Zuwaid, said that his demands from the committee can be summed up with the following: monthly subsidies and aid, as well as providing alternative housing and enrolling his children in schools.

An official source in the committee admitted they were surprised by the number of the problems people are facing, including the need for "service facilities in areas where they are gathered, such as roads and schools.” He noted that a major problem is the need for monthly subsidies and free treatments.

The committee visited more than 40 communities, revealed the source, adding that it will continue its tour.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."