‘Corruption Dragon’ Feeds on ‘Good Genes’ in Iran

Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. AFP file photo
Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. AFP file photo
TT

‘Corruption Dragon’ Feeds on ‘Good Genes’ in Iran

Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. AFP file photo
Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. AFP file photo

With growing public discontent about the deteriorating economic situation in Iran, corruption - once seen as a taboo - has become a source of discussion by the public.

It is not new for corruption to fall under the spotlight, but it has taken an unprecedented turn over the past year in light of the depreciation of the rial and the economic crisis gripping Iran.

The judiciary announced it has established special courts to deal with corruption, which has become a priority following the support of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

This comes as the judiciary faces criticism about its role in administrative and financial corruption in Iranian institutions over the past years. 

On Wednesday, Iran’s Prosecutor-General Mohammad Jaffar Montazeri said that the judiciary will intensify its fight against corruption, adding that if need be, top officials such as cabinet ministers will be brought to justice. 

Earlier this week, Tehran police chief Hossein Rahimi called on 850 people for investigation against the backdrop of the crackdown on corruption and manipulation of currency markets, according to official agencies.

Over the past two months, the Iranian administration's move to open direct negotiations with the US administration has failed.

Khamenei's speech on Monday reinforced observers' beliefs that a heated debate in the Iranian media about direct negotiations with US is a reflection of differences among decision-makers, mainly Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani. In recent statements, the President expressed an indirect desire for negotiations to avoid US sanctions.

The Supreme Leader acknowledged corruption in the country but criticized those who attribute it to the entire system, saying: “I have always been combating corruption and convicts of corruption, and I still hold to my belief.”

He described claims that everyone in the state is corrupt as untrue, adding: “It is true that even a little corruption is too much; but going to extremes is problematic in every aspect."

Khamenei's speech came only two days after the announcement of special courts on corruption cases. He attributed the problem of gold coins and foreign currency to negligence and mismanagement.

The Supreme Leader said “internal factors” were the source of recent economic problems of the country.

Back in February 2018, Khamenei described corruption as a seven-headed dragon, saying if you cut one head off, you’re still left with another six. His official website published posters referring to corruption as a dragon with seven heads, similar to Iranian epics in which legendary heroes cut off the dragon's head.

Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri was the most prominent figure who warned against the spread of systematic corruption. Jahangiri was chosen by Khamenei to head the Anti-Corruption Commission during Rouhani’s first presidency.

Back in August 2015, Jahangiri warned there were no red lines, meaning that anyone involved in corruption must be investigated. 

Many in Iran believe the new anti-corruption measures and arrests come as part of an attempt to calm public opinion especially after alarming chants in recent protests against corrupt officials.

The Supreme Leader is the country's number one official, according to the Iranian constitution, but he is not questioned about his properties and those of his children.

In April 2018, MP Gholamali Jafarzadeh Imenabadi admitted that corruption has spread to a large extent in the regime's structure, indicating that it would be good to begin the fight against corruption initially from the office of the regime's Supreme Leader.

In November, former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sent an open letter to Khamenei asking him to begin reforms from his office.

On Tuesday, Iran’s Supreme Council for Economic Coordination, headed by Rouhani, approved an outline for a media campaign on fighting psychological war and economic issues.

According to Iranian agencies, the Council discussed "solutions to enlighten public opinion and involve people in the media campaign to combat any kind of manipulation in the regulation of the market.”

In recent weeks, dozens of people have been arrested on charges of illegal currency dealing and other related crimes. Among the more notable was the arrest of Ahmad Araqchi, the Central Bank’s former deputy governor in charge of foreign exchange.

Araqchi's arrest highlighted the role of wealthy and influential families in Iranian state institutions. Prosecutor-General Montazeri said the judiciary has applied for a public court for Araqchi.

Last week, the Iranian parliament witnessed, on the sidelines of the questioning of Labor Minister Ali Rubaie, a strong debate among MPs about involvement in corruption cases.

Tasnim news agency published a video of the minister, who was removed from his post, accusing a number of deputies in pressuring him to pay them money or appoint close associates in positions to prevent his interrogation.

Following Rubaie’s remarks, discussions heated and lawmakers exchanged accusations of corruption. 

Reformist deputy speaker, Masoud Pezeshkian, was mostly targeted with accusations to which he responded by providing information about his daughter’s wealth.

Following that, Iranians launched a social media campaign under the hashtag #Where_is_your_kid? to pressure Iranian officials to provide information about their children’s education, place of residence and employment status.

Children of top officials are called “carriers of good genes” in Iran in reference to their wealth and power.

The “good genes” phrase was first used by Hamid Reza Aref, son of former Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref, who said in a television interview two years ago that his success is attributed to what his mother called “good genes”.

Since then, it has been a term symbolizing Iranian discontent with the use of the nation’s wealth to serve politicians.

Many of the officials who reacted to the campaign denied that their children have state jobs, with some saying that their offspring are either unemployed or self-employed.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said his son and daughter live and work in Tehran with their families. He indicated that his children completed their studies and they've been back in Iran for more than six years.

Shahindokht Molaverdi, Rouhani's special assistant for civil rights, said in a tweet that her two daughters are graduates of Iranian universities. She provided information about their education and employment.

The debate over the influence of officials in Iran is not new. In June 2010, MP Alireza Salimi revealed that 3,000 children of Iranian officials are completing their higher education outside the country.

In 2010, MP Mohammad-Mehdi Shahriari told Mehr news agency that 400 were living in the UK, expressing concern that they would be exploited by London.



UK Condemns 10-year Sentence for British Couple in Iran

(FILES) A handout photograph released in London on August 4, 2025 by the family of Craig and Lindsay Foreman, shows Craig and Lindsay at Naqsh-e Jahan Square, or Shah Square, with the Shah Mosque in the background, in Isfahan, Iran, at an undated time. (Photo by FAMILY HANDOUT / AFP)
(FILES) A handout photograph released in London on August 4, 2025 by the family of Craig and Lindsay Foreman, shows Craig and Lindsay at Naqsh-e Jahan Square, or Shah Square, with the Shah Mosque in the background, in Isfahan, Iran, at an undated time. (Photo by FAMILY HANDOUT / AFP)
TT

UK Condemns 10-year Sentence for British Couple in Iran

(FILES) A handout photograph released in London on August 4, 2025 by the family of Craig and Lindsay Foreman, shows Craig and Lindsay at Naqsh-e Jahan Square, or Shah Square, with the Shah Mosque in the background, in Isfahan, Iran, at an undated time. (Photo by FAMILY HANDOUT / AFP)
(FILES) A handout photograph released in London on August 4, 2025 by the family of Craig and Lindsay Foreman, shows Craig and Lindsay at Naqsh-e Jahan Square, or Shah Square, with the Shah Mosque in the background, in Isfahan, Iran, at an undated time. (Photo by FAMILY HANDOUT / AFP)

British foreign minister Yvette Cooper on Thursday condemned as "totally unjustifiable" the 10-year sentence given to a British couple in Iran for spying, saying the government would continue to press for their release.

Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged with espionage after Iran accused them of gathering information in several parts of the country.

"We will pursue this case relentlessly with the Iranian government until we see ‌Craig and Lindsay ‌Foreman safely returned to the UK and reunited with ‌their ⁠family," Reuters quoted Cooper as saying in ⁠a statement.

The Foremans were arrested on January 3 of last year while travelling through Iran on a global motorcycle journey. Iranian state media announced their detention the following month over espionage charges and they have now been held for more than 13 months.

Joe Bennett, Lindsay's son, said in a separate statement the couple had appeared at a three-hour trial ⁠on October 27, in which they were not allowed to ‌present a defense.

"We have seen no ‌evidence to support the charge of espionage," he said, adding that the family ‌was deeply concerned about the couple's welfare and the lack of transparency ‌in the judicial process.

Bennett called on the British government to "act decisively and use every available avenue" to secure their release.

The Iranian embassy in London did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the sentencing.

According to a family ‌statement, the couple have been held for extended periods without being able to communicate. They have had limited or ⁠delayed access ⁠to legal representation, periods of solitary confinement and delays in receiving funds for basic necessities. They also reported disrupted or cancelled consular visits.

Cooper, whose office did not comment on the disruption, said they would continue to provide consular assistance.

Lindsay Foreman has been held in the women's section of Tehran's Evin Prison, while her husband Craig has been held in its political wing.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards have in recent years detained foreign and dual nationals, typically on espionage or national security charges.

Human rights organizations say the authorities use such arrests as leverage in disputes with other countries, a practice they describe as part of a broader pattern of politically motivated detentions. Tehran has rejected those accusations and said the cases involved legitimate security concerns.


N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY
TT

N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has unveiled a battery of huge nuclear-capable rocket launchers ahead of a key congress of the nation's ruling party, state media said Thursday.

Kim is expected to detail the next phase in North Korea's nuclear weapons program when he opens a rare congress of the ruling Workers' Party in coming days.

The 600-mm multiple launch rocket system was front and center as preparations ramped up for the once-in-five-years gathering, widely viewed as North Korea's most important political event.

"When this weapon is used actually, no force would be able to expect God's protection," Kim said, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

"It is really a wonderful and attractive weapon."

Photos released by state media showed dozens of launch vehicles parked in neat rows on the plaza of Pyongyang's House of Culture, which will host the congress.

The weapon was "appropriate for a special attack, that is, for accomplishing a strategic mission", Kim told a ceremony on Wednesday, using a common euphemism for nuclear weapons.

He said the weapons system -- which was presented to the congress as a gift from munitions workers -- would deter unnamed enemies.

"There is no need to further explain about its destructive power and military value," AFP quoted Kim as saying.

"This is because it can reduce the aimed target to ashes through surprise and simultaneous attack by focusing its destructive energy."

The launch system could fire rockets with an estimated range of 400 kilometers (250 miles), covering all of South Korea, said analyst Hong Min from the Korea Institute for National Unification.

"Its primary purpose is to neutralize the combined air power of South Korea and the United States," he told AFP.

"If equipped with tactical nuclear warheads, a single battery firing four to five rounds could devastate an entire airbase."

South Korea's capital Seoul is less than 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the border at its nearest point.

Analysts believe North Korea would use its vast artillery arsenal to launch saturation strikes on the South should fighting break out.

Kim ordered the expansion and modernization of missile production in the months leading up to the Workers' Party congress.

Pyongyang has also significantly stepped up missile testing.


Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
TT

Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT

Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Iranian republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"The basis of the nuclear industry is enrichment. Whatever you want to do in the nuclear process, you need nuclear fuel," said Eslami, according to a video published by Etemad daily on Thursday.

"Iran's nuclear program is proceeding according to the rules of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and no country can deprive Iran of the right to peacefully benefit from this technology."

The comments follow the second round of Oman-mediated talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva on Tuesday.

The two foes had held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war in June.

The United States briefly joined the war alongside Israel, striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site.

He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago's Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, "in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

Western countries accuse the Iranian republic of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Tehran denies having such military ambitions but insists on its right to this technology for civilian purposes.

Trump, who has ratcheted up pressure on Iran to reach an agreement, has deployed a significant naval force to the region, which he has described as an "armada".

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he recently indicated that a second aircraft carrier, the Gerald Ford, would depart "very soon" for the Middle East.

Separately, the Iranian and Russian navies were conducting joint drills in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean on Thursday.