Yemen: $70 a Month for Houthi Recruits

Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Yemen: $70 a Month for Houthi Recruits

Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)

Houthi militias are resorting to all possible means to recruit militants, whether young or old, for a mere $70 a month to remain engaged in their sectarian war that glorifies their leader.

There are dozens of heart breaking stories told by taxi drivers or people in public places describing the insane Houthi rule that contradicts ethics and traditions of the Yemeni society.

Asharq Al-Awsat spoke to a group of residents, who all preferred to remain anonymous, in several areas of Yemen about the situation and Houthi rule.

In Hajjah governorate, Mohammed H., a 42-year-old taxi driver, indicated that almost every family in the city has lost a member or two while fighting for the Houthis.

When asked about the number of deceased, Mohammed stated that he can’t give the toll, but assured that at least seven people have been killed from each of the villages of Ezlat Bani Moheb in Hajjah.

"The group exploited the unemployment rate among young people and initially pushed them to enroll in its sectarian teachings, hiding them in unknown places for periods ranging from one to two weeks," he said, adding that they are brainwashed.

Mohammed preferred to flee from his region to Sanaa, fearing that his eldest son would be recruited. He explained that he won’t bare seeing his son in a body bag, and that is why he found him a job in a grocery store in one of Sanaa’s suburbs.

In al-Shahl district, Hajjah province, the death toll is much higher, according to Salim Sh.

Since the Houthi group launched its war, several citizens of Shahl were killed.

Salim's brother was killed in the Midi front two years ago, followed by his other brother, just a month after joining a camp in Abs region. His third brother is alive, but Salim says he could face the same fate at any moment.

Salim indicates that his third brother refused to obey his mother's wishes and insisted on joining the group. He explains how he was given sectarian lessons after being recruited by the group.

Since the beginning of the coup, Shahl district has established three new grave yards to fit the 2,000 people killed during the clashes, according to Salim.

In Manakha, west of Sanaa, one of the region's dignitaries told Asharq al-Awsat that more than 5,000 people have fallen in the ranks of the group since the beginning of the coup.

Mohammed N, a retired judge, believes that illiteracy, poverty, and unemployment, are the main reasons that allowed the Houthi group to control the minds of many young men and adolescents.

Mohammed confirms that the group pays about 30,000 Yemeni riyals to fighters in its ranks, which is less than 70 dollars. It also pays the same amount to the family of the deceased, through its affiliated "Martyrs’ Foundation".

Many of those involved in the group have dropped out in shock or after discovering the illicit gains of Houthi leaders or their real motives.

S.W. is one of the fighters who left the group. He withdrew from Nahm front and remained home after that for three months, fearing the group’s Preventive Security Forces would arrest him and force him to hand over his weapon.

Earlier this year, the Houthi group received more than 10,000 school graduates in Sanaa and other provinces. The group deluded the young men that it will enroll them in the military and security faculties under its jurisdiction, according to security and military sources. However, the insurgents only granted the graduates three months before pushing them to the front lines, asserted the sources.

There are different recruitment stories that have one thing in common, a tragic ending.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.