From Ibrox Abuse to Sacking Lopetegui: Meet the Head of Spain's FA

 Luis Rubiales says: ‘Football itself, the actual game, is a healthy sport. As for what’s around it, there are some elements I don’t like.’ Photograph: Alvaro Sanchez/EPA
Luis Rubiales says: ‘Football itself, the actual game, is a healthy sport. As for what’s around it, there are some elements I don’t like.’ Photograph: Alvaro Sanchez/EPA
TT

From Ibrox Abuse to Sacking Lopetegui: Meet the Head of Spain's FA

 Luis Rubiales says: ‘Football itself, the actual game, is a healthy sport. As for what’s around it, there are some elements I don’t like.’ Photograph: Alvaro Sanchez/EPA
Luis Rubiales says: ‘Football itself, the actual game, is a healthy sport. As for what’s around it, there are some elements I don’t like.’ Photograph: Alvaro Sanchez/EPA

The way Luis Rubiales remembers it, the last song dedicated to him in a football stadium ran: “Baldy bastard, what’s the score?” It was August 2009; the man who will be sitting at Wembley on Saturday night, president of the Spanish Football Federation, was playing at centre-back for Hamilton Academical; and the score, Ibrox knew, was 4-1. It was the third game of the season but at the end of it, Rubiales appeared in the press room – “wood panelled, smelling of football from another era” – and announced he was retiring.

It had nothing to do with the result, and he had enjoyed the afternoon. He already knew he was going, his father watching him for the last time from the stands, listening to the ‘serenade’. On the pitch, Rubiales Jr went off on a dribble, which wasn’t his thing but it was the last time, so why not? “I also had a set-to with their captain, which was fun,” he grins. “They named me Accies’ man of the match. And then I went into the press room, said I was retiring and everyone was like …”

Rubiales starts laughing. “They thought it was a bit weird.” He had played three league games and one in the cup; it was the day after his 32nd birthday; he was still in good shape and he had a contract. But he walked away, refusing to be paid beyond his last day, because calls from Spain asked him to help sought out a “mess”. Rubiales had been through bankruptcy and administration before, leading a Levante squad that had gone unpaid and unprotected; now all-too-many others were facing the same crisis and wanted his help.

He left having made less impact on Scotland than Scotland had on him, and he talks about “an atmosphere there that still reflects the roots of football”. In Spain the problems were serious; he returned and began a process that led him to the presidency of the Spanish Players’ Union. In May 2018 he won elections to the presidency of the Spanish FA, after almost 30 years under the former Fifa vice-president Ángel María Villar, who was arrested on suspicion of embezzlement. Villar denies wrongdoing.

Rubiales hadn’t even been in charge for a month when he was told that the Spain manager Julen Lopetegui was going to Real Madrid – five minutes before Madrid made the announcement public and two days before the World Cup. The following day, he sacked his coach. It was some start. “I tried to act with honesty, according to our ethics. There’s no point in going back over it; we’re in the Luis Enrique era, and I’m convinced that we’re going to be very proud of the team.”

It’s an era that begins at Wembley. Hours before the game, Rubiales will step on to the pitch right foot first and will cross himself just like he always did. “Football is the staging of a battle with rules and those of us who have been ‘warriors’ don’t like to lose the smell of that,” he says, so he maintains a player’s routine before heading to the directors’ box.

Theirs is an image that must change, he says. “A lot of damage has been done [by the former regime at Fifa and the RFEF]. The situation is difficult, but while we must distance ourselves from that we must also afford them the presumption of innocence. What we have done is impose new rules, external checks, audits, commissions, regulations to protect integrity and transparency.

“I’m in love with football and when you’re in love you tend to cover up defects but as a president you can’t. Football itself, the actual game, is a healthy sport. As for what’s around it, there are some elements I don’t like.”

Saturday’s visit to Wembley raises a contrast with Spain, where there is no national stadium. “It’s a lovely concept, but it’s not viable: we can’t spend hundreds of millions on a stadium like Wembley to use it so few times,” he says. “And there’s another question which is even more important: Spain belongs to all Spaniards; we have to take it all around the country.”

At least if there was a stadium, they wouldn’t have the tedious annual argument about where the Copa del Rey final is played. “We won’t anyway,” Rubiales shoots back. “We’re going to open up a bidding process so that stadiums over 45,000 can ask to hold it in two-year cycles.”

It would have helped too with this summer’s Spanish Super Cup, which the RFEF took to Tangiers. Some were angered but Rubiales claims he had little choice given the late obligation to play it over one leg, not two, and rejects comparisons to the league’s plan to take a match to Miami – announced without consultation with the federation, players’ union, clubs or fans’ groups.

“Javier Tebas [the president of La Liga] spoke to everyone except the people he had to speak to,” Rubiales says. “It’s a total lack of respect, unfaithful and incomprehensible. This president demands a lot from others when his own behaviour frankly leaves a lot to be desired. We’ve not had even a single call. I haven’t seen the contract, so I can’t say much but I will say this: the Fifa president protects domestic competition and taking competition somewhere else represents an invasion of that country. He has totally ignored the players and even the clubs, signing a contract with a private country for ten or fifteen years. His behaviour was terrible, but very much like Javier Tebas: very much lacking in respect.”

Tebas gave a six-point response in which he noted that non-US teams play in MLS, that this was a single game in 380 and that the agreement with Relevent Sports does not oblige the league to play a game in the US, only that it would attempt to do so and that no clubs would be forced to participate. “La Liga is perfectly conscious of that fact that to play in the US, it needs the authorisation of the US Federation,” Tebas said. “The RFEF president knows of our intention to play a game in abroad because we told him that as a result of the game in Tangier.”

Rubiales insists: “[Tebas] does this with everything. Put bluntly, he’s rude. He has signed an agreement that it is not up to him to sign. What he has signed is worthless. It means nothing without our authorisation, so we’ll see what happens to this game.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.