David Wagner Can Hold Head High After End of Huddersfield Love Affair

David Wagner became Huddersfield manager in November 2015 and led them to an improbable promotion to the Premier League less than two years later. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images via Reuters
David Wagner became Huddersfield manager in November 2015 and led them to an improbable promotion to the Premier League less than two years later. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images via Reuters
TT

David Wagner Can Hold Head High After End of Huddersfield Love Affair

David Wagner became Huddersfield manager in November 2015 and led them to an improbable promotion to the Premier League less than two years later. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images via Reuters
David Wagner became Huddersfield manager in November 2015 and led them to an improbable promotion to the Premier League less than two years later. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images via Reuters

When football clubs and their managers part by “mutual consent” the consent is invariably a lot more mutual on the part of one side than the other. Social media being as it is, it came as little or no surprise when the reaction of many Huddersfield Town fans and neutrals to Monday’s announcement by the club’s Twitter account that David Wagner and the club had severed ties in just such a fashion was one of mouth-foaming outrage based on the incorrect assumption the German had been fired.

For those who actually took the time to read the accompanying statement, it was soon clear the agreement on this parting of the ways seemed genuinely reciprocal. The conversation that ultimately led to his departure was initiated by Wagner, who offered to stand down at the end of the season citing his need for a break “from the rigors of football management”. It was eventually decided between the hierarchy and manager that it would be best for the club if he left immediately. Now they find themselves marooned at the bottom of the Premier League without the man who masterminded their unlikely passage to the top tier. One of top-flight football’s few genuinely warm and gloopy romances has come to an amicable but ultimately sad end.

“I know the term ‘mutual consent’ is often a byword for the manager being sacked in professional football, but this is a truly joint decision,” said Huddersfield’s chairman, Dean Hoyle, who had repeatedly insisted he would not sack Wagner and reiterated the sentiment in a statement that suggests his relationship with his former manager remains genuinely warm. Who the club will turn to remains to be seen, but what is certain is that the coach in question will have extremely big boots to fill.

Wagner was appointed in November 2015, with Huddersfield 18th in the Championship having won three league games out of 15. “David’s football philosophy is directly in line with ours; he fits for what we need,” said Hoyle at the time of a man who had resigned from his role with Borussia Dortmund’s under-23s one month previously. “He is the club’s first [head coach] from outside the UK and he brings a new approach and new ideas.”

Those ideas took a while to implement and Huddersfield finished 19th that season. However, following a net outlay of less than £3m, they finished fifth in the following campaign and secured one of the more unlikely promotions in living memory through the playoffs. Their fairytale rise was secured by a spot-kick in a shootout against Reading scored by their then £1.8m record signing, Christopher Schindler. In a division where the net spend of a comparatively unsuccessful team such as Aston Villa was around £40m, it crowned an extraordinary achievement. Unwilling to gouge the club’s supporters, Hoyle announced there would be no rise in season-ticket prices.

Few gave Huddersfield the proverbial snowball’s chance in hell of staying up and Guardian writers were kinder than most in predicting a finish of 19th. Wagner had turned down more lucrative offers in order to see out the adventure and a raft of new record signings, purchased collectively for less than the price of a Manchester City full-back, helped secure seven points from the first nine available and lay the foundations for extremely unlikely survival. A win over Manchester United was arguably the highlight of their season, before safety was secured with a game to spare courtesy of back-to-back draws at Manchester City and Chelsea. This led to Wagner signing a new three-year deal worth £7.5m, when – perhaps with the benefit of hindsight – he might have been better advised considering offers from elsewhere. West Ham, Leicester City and Everton were reported to be interested, while the antennae of several clubs from Germany were also believed to be twitching.

While Huddersfield stayed up on their own merits, it’s hardly unfair to say they were helped by the proliferation of comparatively rich but terrible teams swirling around the Premier League plughole. Upon signing his latest deal, Wagner made clear the club had by no means consolidated their position in the top flight. “We still have a lot of work to do as we adapt to life in the Premier League,” he said. “But this club and its people have the ambition, desire, and attitude to take this challenge on.”

The ambition, desire, and attitude, certainly. But on the face of all available evidence this season, not the ability. Huddersfield have won two games out of 22, scoring 13 goals. While the effort of Wagner’s players cannot be faulted, and was often praised in defeat by their manager, their inability to score with anything approaching regularity suggests the collective is just not good enough. For every goal they do score, they concede almost three and, eight points adrift of safety, such numbers are simply not sustainable.

Following a recent defeat against Fulham their players looked mentally broken, and their most recent match against Cardiff ended with Wagner embarking on a post-match rant against the referee Lee Mason that was uncharacteristically embittered. It was difficult to avoid the suspicion he knew the jig was up.

Beyond almost certain relegation, what the future holds for Huddersfield could scarcely be more unclear. The suddenness of Wagner’s departure suggests a replacement has almost certainly not been lined up, while Sam Allardyce, that noted firefighter and unimaginative bookies’ favorite to take over, has ruled himself out of a job he seems unlikely to have been given by an owner as progressive as Hoyle.

For the time being, Mark Hudson has been promoted from his position as under-23 coach to take charge of Sunday’s home match against Manchester City. Baptisms don’t get much more flammable and victory could herald a new chapter in the recent fairytale.

Meanwhile, Wagner leaves with his reputation untarnished and will almost certainly find himself in lucrative, gainful employment as soon as he decides he is ready to return.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.