Libyan National Army Accuses Turkey of Sending Terrorists to Tripoli
Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman Ahmed al-Mismari revealed terrorist banners, belong to ISIS and al-Qaeda, supporters have started to emerge in the capital Tripoli.
Addressing a press conference Friday, he vowed that the LNA, commanded by Khalifa Haftar, will expel the militias from Tripoli in order to restore stability, security and the authority of the state.
Moreover, he accused Turkey of meddling in the battle by sending al-Nusra Front extremists from Syria to the capital to combat the LNA.
The LNA had launched on April 4 an operation to cleanse Tripoli of terrorist and criminal gangs.
Meanwhile, Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) chief Fayez al-Sarraj the United Nations Security Council’s failure to reach a resolution to call for a truce in Libya.
On Thursday, both the United States and Russia said they could not support a British-drafted resolution calling for a ceasefire “at this time”.
Sarraj warned that the failure to agree on a resolution may lead to “other consequences, such as ISIS exploiting instability in Libya.”
Separately, Washington announced Friday that Haftar had received a telephone call Monday from US President Donald Trump.
A White House statement said that in the phone call, Trump “recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources, and the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system”.
Mismari said Trump’s call showed the pivotal role of the LNA in fighting terrorism, Sky News Arabia reported.
Libyan and Egyptian sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the phone call was mediated by Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, who had met Trump at the White House last week before meeting Haftar in Cairo on Sunday.
White House national security adviser John Bolton also spoke recently to Haftar, revealed Reuters.