Iran Limits its Plans in Syria, Says Israeli Report

A picture taken early on January 21, 2019 shows Syrian air defense batteries responding to Israeli missiles targeting Damascus. (Getty Images)
A picture taken early on January 21, 2019 shows Syrian air defense batteries responding to Israeli missiles targeting Damascus. (Getty Images)
TT

Iran Limits its Plans in Syria, Says Israeli Report

A picture taken early on January 21, 2019 shows Syrian air defense batteries responding to Israeli missiles targeting Damascus. (Getty Images)
A picture taken early on January 21, 2019 shows Syrian air defense batteries responding to Israeli missiles targeting Damascus. (Getty Images)

Israel's raids and various military operations in Syria, as well as the economic situation in Iran, prompted Tehran to give up a large part of its plans and limit its objectives in Syria, according to Israeli intelligence sources.

The sources said that Iran did not change its strategic objectives in the region, but it had to “let go” of some of these objectives. At the same time, Tehran increased its expectations in Iraq to overcome the decline of its status in Syria.

The sources told Israel's Maariv newspaper on Thursday that it is possible to see a change in Iran's performance over the past year.

The sources pointed out that the purpose of the Israeli operations during the last year was to cause a crisis in Iran's al-Quds Force based on the estimates that it would damage Tehran’s position in the region.

Moreover, top Israeli intelligence officials believe that the Israeli operations in Syria will slow down the Lebanese Hezbollah’s growing power and the party’s armament with developed weapons.

The newspaper quoted Israeli political officials as saying that tightening US sanctions on Iran will deepen this crisis greatly and will further damage al-Quds Force’s plan in the region.

As Iran’s dream in Syria fades away, it shifted its attention to Iraq, where it has been increasing its influence, drawing Israel’s concern.

Sources in Tel Aviv described the developments on January 20 as a changing point. On that day, Israel carried out a raid on an Iranian position in Syria, prompting the firing of a missile from Syria towards Israel Mount Hermon in the Golan Heights.

Israel responded by launching a large-scale aerial attack against Iranian targets, especially at Damascus International Airport whose very large warehouses were being used by the Quds Force as a logistics center.

The report said that the attack on the airport was the main part of this military operation and a clear message to the Syrians. Although the Israeli air force has attacked Damascus airport in the past, the attack this time was very wide.

Last year’s air force operations in Syria have been the most extensive and continuous since Israel’s creation, perhaps excluding major wars, one Israeli officer was quoted as saying. But both sides have military experience, and it would be an underestimation “for me to say that their performance has not improved.”

"The vast majority of weapons and logistical equipment are being transported from Iran to Syria by air," an Israeli Air Force officer was quoted as saying.

The officer told Maariv that the aim was to target this transport system.

Another air force officer stated that the attack was aimed to send a clear message to Syrian authorities and the regime of Bashar Assad that the damage would not only be inflicted on the Iranians, but would threaten the entire regime.

The officer claimed that in the wake of this aerial military operation, the Israeli army noted that Iranians stopped using the airport.

The logistics center at the facility was badly damaged and most of their activity was transferred to the T4 airport. This transition places difficulties for the Iranians and makes their logistical activity in Syria more complicated.

A third officer claimed that the Syrian regime forces received high-level orders not to target at the aircraft.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.