Super-Agent Mino Raiola Is a Player’s Dream and a Manager’s Nightmare

 The Italian-born Dutch football agent Mino Raiola is detested by Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola. Photograph: Valéry Hache/AFP/Getty Images
The Italian-born Dutch football agent Mino Raiola is detested by Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola. Photograph: Valéry Hache/AFP/Getty Images
TT

Super-Agent Mino Raiola Is a Player’s Dream and a Manager’s Nightmare

 The Italian-born Dutch football agent Mino Raiola is detested by Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola. Photograph: Valéry Hache/AFP/Getty Images
The Italian-born Dutch football agent Mino Raiola is detested by Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola. Photograph: Valéry Hache/AFP/Getty Images

One morning in late 1992, at Ajax’s old training ground, Bryan Roy arrived to clear out his locker and say his goodbyes. After four years with his hometown club, he was on his way from Amsterdam to join Foggia in the first of Mino Raiola’s many significant transnational deals between football clubs. The previous evening, when Ajax had played Feyenoord, a fan held up a hand-lettered placard. “Bryan bedankt,” it said. Thanks, Bryan.

Not always have football fans expressed such gratitude on the departure of one of Raiola’s clients. This summer, depending on how things work out, Manchester United’s supporters are unlikely to send Paul Pogba on his way with warm wishes for a successful future in Madrid or Turin. The prospect of that £100m-plus deal became more likely last week when, during a promotional visit to Japan, the French midfielder volunteered his readiness to accept a “new challenge” away from Old Trafford. Some might think that helping Ole Gunnar Solskjær to rescue a great club from the doldrums represents enough of a challenge for anyone, but that would not be Raiola’s way.

A controversial figure, particularly in Manchester, where he is detested by both Alex Ferguson (who once called him a “twat” during face-to-face negotiations) and Pep Guardiola, the agent is free to negotiate on Pogba’s behalf only because the court of arbitration for sport upheld his appeal against a worldwide three-month ban from all football activities imposed by Fifa in May. The sanction was first imposed by the FIGC, the Italian football association, but the nature of the alleged irregularities was never officially disclosed.

On the other hand, Ajax may yet be grateful for the agent’s part in negotiating a supersize fee for Matthijs de Ligt, their 19-year-old captain. According to a report in the Sunday Times at the weekend, Juventus – a club with which Raiola has often done business – are the favourites to pay around £75m, with the size of Raiola’s commission a factor in the negotiations.

There are plenty of big-time agents operating in football – sharing, for example, the £260m that members of the Premier League alone paid out to them last year – but the 51-year-old Carmine Raiola is among those who seem to incarnate most clearly the shift in the relationship between clubs and players. Having moved as a child from a small town near Naples to Haarlem in the Netherlands, where he helped with the family’s pizza restaurant, he enfolds his players in an embrace that goes beyond business meetings. Two years ago, having just moved Pogba from Juventus to United for a world record fee of £89m, he articulated this approach in an interview with Simon Kuper of the Financial Times. “I don’t see him as a client at all,” he said of the Frenchman. “In fact I dare to say, family.”

Raiola’s football family is at the centre of this summer’s activity. While De Ligt appears to have his pick of almost all the top clubs, will Pogba join his compatriot Zinedine Zidane in a restoration project at the Bernabéu, or rejoin Juventus, where he won four consecutive Serie A titles and felt at home?

If his methods have earned him the dislike of some powerful men, Raiola’s network of contacts, built up over the decades, has given him considerable influence. More than a quarter of a century ago Roy’s departure from Amsterdam cemented the ambitious young agent’s relationship with Zdenek Zeman, Foggia’s head coach. Two years later, when Zeman moved on to Lazio, Raiola brought him Pavel Nedved, much in demand after his performances with the Czech Republic at Euro 96. In 2001 Raiola moved Nedved on to Juventus, where he won the Ballon d’Or. In 2004 Raiola introduced another player to the club: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the beginning of an odyssey that would take the Sweden striker to Internazionale, Barcelona, Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United and LA Galaxy as Raiola surfed the shifting currents of the football market.

In Ibrahimovic, barely out of his teens when they met at Ajax, Raiola found the perfect new member of his family. “I realised straight away that he was an arrogant bastard – in other words, just like me,” the agent said in an interview for the player’s most recent autobiography, the modestly titled I Am Football. But there was more to it. Raiola taught Ibrahimovic to curb his dissent on the pitch (“Tell me one single time when a referee has walked over and said he was wrong and you were right”) and, at Juventus, to follow the example of Nedved, who trained with obsessive diligence.

“The things I learned from Pavel Nedved, I transferred to Zlatan,” Raiola said, “and what I learned from Zlatan I taught Paul Pogba. Paul saw in Zlatan what he sees in himself – a lad from the streets, big in stature but extremely technical – and he recognised the attitude: win, win, win.”

Not much of that commitment to winning was on view in a red No 6 shirt during the final stages of United’s season. But players are individuals, and do not always react according to a template. Raiola’s major failure was with another man who saw himself as a kid from the streets, big in stature but extremely technical; the trouble with Mario Balotelli was that actually playing football took second place to the things his talent brought him.

For a Balotelli, a Pogba, a De Ligt or an Ibrahimovic, there is only one career, and they depend on a Mino Raiola to ensure that the rewards last a lifetime. For Raiola himself, this is just another summer of playing the market, of spotting weaknesses to which he can supply the antidote, and of counting the proceeds.

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.