Arjen Robben: Master of the Expected Who Brought Joy, Trophies

 Arjen Robben celebrates in May after winning the last of eight Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich. Photograph: Lukas Barth-Tuttas/EPA
Arjen Robben celebrates in May after winning the last of eight Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich. Photograph: Lukas Barth-Tuttas/EPA
TT

Arjen Robben: Master of the Expected Who Brought Joy, Trophies

 Arjen Robben celebrates in May after winning the last of eight Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich. Photograph: Lukas Barth-Tuttas/EPA
Arjen Robben celebrates in May after winning the last of eight Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich. Photograph: Lukas Barth-Tuttas/EPA

Defenders knew what Robben would do but still could not stop him and his retirement after 10 years at Bayern is a shame

There is beauty in the unexpected but sometimes even more so in the expected. Everyone knew what Arjen Robben would do, yet they could do nothing to stop him.

He would pick up the ball on his right flank, feign to go down towards the byline, then cut inside and score. And then he would do it again. True, there were variations. Sometimes he would score at the near post and sometimes he would take a few more steps inside the penalty area, or just outside it, and score at the far post. Sometimes he would shoot low and sometimes he would shoot high.

It may sound simple but it wasn’t. And here’s the thing: it was a pleasure to see him do it. Over and over again.

On Thursday the Dutchman, who left Bayern Munich at the end of last season, announced that he was retiring at the age of 35 after 19 years of professional football.

In a statement he said that injuries had taken their toll and that it no longer made sense to carry on. “My love for the game and the conviction that I can still take on the world was up against the reality … that I’m no longer a youngster of 16 who has no idea what injures can do to you,” he said.

He added that it was time to “spend more time with my wife and children and enjoy all the good things that lie ahead for us” and it makes sense. Robben has won the Champions League, the Eredivisie, the Premier League, La Liga and no fewer than eight Bundesliga titles.

He reached the World Cup final in 2010 and finished third four years later. He has won 16 cup finals and several individual awards. There was nothing more for him to achieve, especially with injuries starting to slow him.

His career, despite all the trophies, was not straightforward. After joining Chelsea from PSV Eindhoven he had a cancer scare when doctors said they had found a lump in one of his testicles and decided to operate.

He was given the all-clear but, after two Premier League titles in three years, he left for Real Madrid. In Spain he had two seasons proving his undoubted quality but once Florentino Pérez arrived and signed Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaká in the summer of 2009 his time was up.

Robben joined Bayern Munich that summer and that turned out to be his last club. In many ways he will be remembered as a Bayern player. Apart from his eight Bundesliga titles he scored an 89th-minute winner when Bayern beat Borussia Dortmund in the 2013 Champions League final at Wembley.

That was his most important goal and, funnily enough, it was not scored by cutting inside and unleashing a left-footed shot but by straying inside, beating two defenders to a loose ball, taking two touches and scoring with what can only be described a scuffed shot.

After the final whistle he was in tears, and asked why he said: “Well, we had been to two finals in the last three years and lost both and in the end you don’t want to be a loser.”

He will not be remembered as a loser, far from it, although there were certainly times when he was accused of simulation, and rightly so. At one stage of his career in Germany he was known as the “Schwalben-König”, the king of dives, and was widely mocked for taking a tumble against Mexico in the 2014 World Cup.

Overall though, the exaggerated falls in the penalty area became less and less frequent and he will be remembered fondly by most. On Thursday former teammates expressed admiration for the Dutchman and sadness that he would never play professionally again.

David Alaba said on Twitter that he was proud to have played with Robben: “Your game was something else, your character more than special”, while Phillip Lahm wrote: “Farewell to a special athlete”.

Lahm’s and Alaba’s gratitude towards Robben shows what a special player he was, but it was not only teammates and opponents who were able to enjoy his skill; it was the fans too.

And that is why I tell my son to sit down and watch five minutes of Arjen Robben cutting inside and scoring when looking for inspiration before one of his under-10 games rather than the fancy Leo Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo videos he prefers.

He rolls his eyes but then we sit down and watch Robben do his stuff. And soon we go: “Woah, did you see that? and, ‘How did he score from there’ before we just sit in silence and watch that beautiful flight of the ball after it has departed his left foot.

And we’d be smiling. And that is what Robben did: he made people smile. And there can hardly be higher praise than that.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.