Israel ‘Pursues’ Iran in Iraq with US approval, in Syria Under ‘Russian cover’

Smoke rises after an explosion in al-Balad military base in Salahuddin province on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 (Iraq News)
Smoke rises after an explosion in al-Balad military base in Salahuddin province on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 (Iraq News)
TT

Israel ‘Pursues’ Iran in Iraq with US approval, in Syria Under ‘Russian cover’

Smoke rises after an explosion in al-Balad military base in Salahuddin province on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 (Iraq News)
Smoke rises after an explosion in al-Balad military base in Salahuddin province on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 (Iraq News)

News has been confirmed on Israel’s bombing of Iranian weapons and missile warehouses in Iraq three times over the past few weeks thanks to a US-Russian understanding.

The understanding stipulates that “Israel’s security is a priority as well as pursuing Iran in Iraq and Syria,” according to Western diplomatic sources.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the understanding stresses that Tel Aviv should not officially declare its raids, in order to control regional tension.

A weapons depot belonging to the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) at al-Balad military base in Saladin province was rocked by explosions on Tuesday night, leaving the base engulfed in flames, Iraqi media reported.

Tel Aviv’s willingness to target Tehran’s ballistic missile sites and warehouses in Iraq dates back to mid-2018, coinciding with dozens of raids against Iranian bases in Syria.

The first sign was detected in June 2018, when Israel targeted an Iranian site eastern Syria, near the borders with Iraq, according to sources.

Last year, Western countries were being informed of Israel’s political decision to “expand its pursuing operations of Iran from Syria to Iraq.”

However, there were three obstacles facing this decision.

The first obstacle was Washington’s concern about the impact on the US presence in Iraq, the war against ISIS, and the future of Iraq's political scene.

The second obstacle was the tension between Moscow and Tel Aviv after anti-Syrian aircraft hit a Russian aircraft during Israel's bombing of west Syria in September 2018.

While the third obstacle was the military potential and its connection with the readiness of F-35 fighter jets.

By mid-2019, the process of implementing the political decision had begun, and Israeli Air Force commander Amikam Norkin announced in May that Israel is the first to use the US-made F-35 jets in combat operations after their country of origin.

This announcement was made few weeks after the airstrikes carried out by Israeli aircraft on several locations inside Syria, reportedly Iranian.

“Israeli F-35 fighter jets fly throughout the Middle East, and we are the first to use them in combats,” he said.

This coincided with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s visit to Russia during which he was scheduled to meet President Vladimir Putin in order to establish military re-coordination in Syria and reduce tension, following the downing of the Russian plane over the Mediterranean.

This coordination lies in operating the hotline between Tel Aviv and the Hmeimim base and obtaining Russian assurances that the developed S-300 missile system, which arrived in Syria after the downing of the Russian plane, would not be operated.

Meanwhile, the major step was Putin's agreement to hold a tripartite meeting in West Jerusalem, including White House national security adviser John Bolton, Israeli national security adviser Meir Ben-Shabbat, and secretary of the Russian Security Council Nikolai Patrushev, late June.

According to Western diplomatic sources, the meeting was “symbolic and a translation of the outcomes of the summits held between Putin and US President Donald Trump, giving priority to Israel's security in Syria and Iraq, with the continued Russian presence and the possibility of a US withdrawal from the region.”

They added that Washington had provided the “green light” for this step within the policy of maximum pressure on Iran, without affecting its current presence in Iraq, in addition to the possibility of operational coordination between the US and Israel due to the US presence in Iraq.

As a result, Israel’s targeting has moved to a new level in Syria, including Iraq.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.