Iraq’s PMF to Form Air Force Directorate

PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
TT
20

Iraq’s PMF to Form Air Force Directorate

PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo

Deputy chief of the Popular Mobilization Forces Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes announced Thursday the formation of the air force directorate, weeks after growing air strikes against PMF locations in Baghdad and other provinces that its officials have blamed on Israel.

An official letter said that Salah Mahdi Hantoush was appointed acting director of the air force directorate.

The order was signed by the PMF deputy chief and not by Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi or PMF chief and national security adviser Faleh Fayyad, a sign of growing inter-PMF disputes.

Last month, Mohandes held Israel responsible for the blasts on PMF camps and depots, threatening to respond to the attacks.

However, Fayyad respected the position of the Iraqi government, and said he would wait for the release of final results of investigations conducted by a fact-finding committee tasked with probing the explosions.

Iraqi security expert Hashem al-Hashemi said the formation of a new air force is an embarrassment for the Iraqi PM, mainly if the air defense system was bought without the approval of the Defense Ministry.

“Only Iranians will accept to sell weapons to the PMF without coordinating with the Defense Ministry,” the expert said.

Meanwhile, Iraqi Defense Minister Najah Al-Shammari referred on Thursday several officers and commanders to military courts on corruption charges.

In a brief statement, the Ministry said: “Defense Minister Najah Al-Shammari ordered the transfer of some high-ranking officers and commanders to the competent military courts on charges related to corruption.”



Libya's Anti-NGO Push Seen as Diversion from Internal Failures, Analysts Say

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah - File Photo
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah - File Photo
TT
20

Libya's Anti-NGO Push Seen as Diversion from Internal Failures, Analysts Say

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah - File Photo
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah - File Photo

Libya's suspension of 10 international humanitarian groups, part of a broader crackdown on African migrants, is aimed at masking domestic failures and securing external concessions, particularly from Europe, analysts have said, AFP reported.

Libya's Tripoli-based authorities announced on Wednesday a decision to suspend the Norwegian Refugee Council, Doctors Without Borders (MSF), Terre des Hommes, CESVI and six other groups, accusing them of a plan to "settle migrants" from other parts of Africa in the country.

War-torn Libya is a key departure point on North Africa's Mediterranean coast for migrants, mainly from sub-Saharan African countries, risking dangerous sea voyages in the hope of reaching Europe.

Anas al-Gomati, director of the Tripoli-based Sadeq Institute think tank, said "this isn't about NGOs -- it's about creating enemies to distract from failures".

The UN-recognized government of Abdulhamid Dbeibah is "tapping into conservative anxieties while masking their inability to provide basic services", he told AFP.

The ultimate goal, according to Gomati, is to "extract concessions from Europe which, fearing potential migration surges, will offer new funding packages and prop up the government in Tripoli".

On Wednesday, Rome announced the allocation of 20 million euros to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to finance "voluntary repatriations" for 3,300 sub-Saharan migrants who arrived in Algeria, Tunisia and Libya.

"This isn't coincidence -- its coordination. The Libyan authorities shut down NGOs providing monitoring and protection (for migrants) precisely as Italy announces 20 million euros for 'voluntary' returns," said Gomati.

"Italy gets to claim they're funding 'voluntary' returns while Libya gets to demonstrate 'sovereignty', all while vulnerable migrants face extortion in detention before being labelled 'volunteers' for deportation."

Libya analyst Jalel Harchaoui noted that the Tripoli government is adopting a similar tone to Tunisian President Kais Saied, who in early 2023 denounced what he called "hordes of sub-Saharan migrants" who threatened to "change the country's demographic composition".

Harchaoui, of the London-based Royal United Services Institute, said Dbeibah was facing considerable difficulties, particularly in gaining access to public funds, and his once pragmatic relationship with the Haftar family in the east had deteriorated.

Following the NGO ban, aid groups have expressed concern for both their Libyan colleagues and the migrants who have been made more vulnerable in a country that, according to the IOM, is home to more than 700,000 residents from sub-Saharan countries.

The International Commission of Jurists on Friday condemned the "recent collective expulsions, arrests, violent attacks and the surge of hate speech, including that which constitutes incitement to violence, against migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in Libya".

The organization noted that the Libyan interior ministry has pledged "the deportation of 100,000 migrants every four months".