Worsening Conditions Bring Lebanese Back to the Streets

A man gestures as he takes part in a protest over Lebanon's economy and politics in Beirut, Lebanon December 23, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
A man gestures as he takes part in a protest over Lebanon's economy and politics in Beirut, Lebanon December 23, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
TT

Worsening Conditions Bring Lebanese Back to the Streets

A man gestures as he takes part in a protest over Lebanon's economy and politics in Beirut, Lebanon December 23, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
A man gestures as he takes part in a protest over Lebanon's economy and politics in Beirut, Lebanon December 23, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

The wave of demonstrations returned to a number of Lebanese regions, amid the persistent failure of the political class to form a new government and face the worsening economic crisis.

However, the popular movement’s vision for the next stage is still unclear.
 
The dynamism of the movement that started on October 17 has suffered more than a setback, which requires, according to one of the activists, “correcting its tracks.”

This would renew popular movements and put Lebanon on the path of confronting collapse with steady steps, according to the activist.
 
University Professor Dr. Walid Fakhreddin told Asharq Al-Awsat that the renewed demonstrations were not surprising given that the country is still in a state of alert.

“The expulsion of some officials from public places is an indicator, so are movements in front of official institutions and banks,” he said.
 
“The most important reason remains the deteriorating economic situation, with the crises of gas, diesel and electricity, the tightening of banks’ grip on depositor funds and the spread of unemployment, along with the delay in forming the government,” he underlined.
 
Fakhreddin does not rule out the influence of regional developments, noting that demonstrations in Baghdad helped motivate Lebanese protesters to regain some of the momentum that had been missed during the holidays and because of the stormy weather.
 
Another activist told Asharq Al-Awsat that protests have not stopped since October, although at a lower participation rate.

“This is because the Lebanese people see a glimmer of hope with the designation of Hassan Diab to form the new government,” he remarked.
 
But with the constant failure of the political class to form a government, the aggravation of the problems, increased banking restrictions on depositors, and the shortage of medicine, electricity and fuel, the Lebanese returned to the street over the past few days.
 
“Today, the Lebanese took to the streets with greater anger, after being disappointed by the grace period that they gave to the political class,” the activist said.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.