One-third of Israeli Youth Avoid Military Service For ‘Mental Health' Reasons

Israeli soldiers carry their belongings in an area near the Israel-Lebanon border on January 29, 2015. REUTERS/Ammar Awad
Israeli soldiers carry their belongings in an area near the Israel-Lebanon border on January 29, 2015. REUTERS/Ammar Awad
TT
20

One-third of Israeli Youth Avoid Military Service For ‘Mental Health' Reasons

Israeli soldiers carry their belongings in an area near the Israel-Lebanon border on January 29, 2015. REUTERS/Ammar Awad
Israeli soldiers carry their belongings in an area near the Israel-Lebanon border on January 29, 2015. REUTERS/Ammar Awad

As Israeli General Yitzhak Barik continues to warn that the army isn’t prepared for a new war, a leaked report revealed Sunday that one-third of the Israeli males and 44% of females avoid being drafted into the military.

Army chief of staff Aviv Kochavi ordered to set up an emergency plan to tackle this situation. The report, which was published in Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper, said the phenomenon of dodging conscription has widely spread.

To avoid the mandatory service, Israelis rely on a military law that allows recruits to receive an exemption on grounds of medical or health issues. According to Israeli law, any individual whose health standard is less than 21 points is exempted from the military service.

Some pretend to be suffering from anoia or disability to score low grades; an act seen by the Israeli army as extremely dangerous.

Army Personnel Directorate Head Maj Gen Moti Almoz dispatched a letter to the mental health officers over the matter, stressing that any exemption over an individual’s mental health should be made on professional and responsible bases.

The newspaper noted that the number of evaders continues to rise. In 2007 it was recorded at 25% and then it rose gradually from 26.9% in 2015 to 30% in 2018, reaching 32.9% last year.

Meanwhile, as one-third of youths get a mental exemption, a total of 15% of soldiers escape from the army during their service. The statistics indicate that around half of the Israeli youths don’t serve in the army or don’t finish their military service.

The newspaper also published a confidential report revealing that the 319th military intelligence battalion suffers a huge shortage which makes it incapable of stepping into battles. There is also a shortage of military vehicles that are used to transfer equipment.

Barik commented over the soldiers’ complaints, saying that they don’t want to admit that the army isn’t prepared for war.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.