Everton Show the Way by Promoting Community Rather than Gambling

Everton publicized their Everton in the Community program on their shirts for the game against Crystal Palace. (Everton FC via Getty Images)
Everton publicized their Everton in the Community program on their shirts for the game against Crystal Palace. (Everton FC via Getty Images)
TT

Everton Show the Way by Promoting Community Rather than Gambling

Everton publicized their Everton in the Community program on their shirts for the game against Crystal Palace. (Everton FC via Getty Images)
Everton publicized their Everton in the Community program on their shirts for the game against Crystal Palace. (Everton FC via Getty Images)

In a climate of serious concern finally rising about football’s drenching with gambling adverts, Everton showed a glimpse of a better future at their home match with Crystal Palace on Saturday. Rather than promoting to the watching world Everton’s sponsor, the Kenyan betting giant SportPesa, the players wore a name across their shirts that looked very much more appropriate for the self-styled “people’s club”: their own Everton in the Community program.

It was a one-off, Everton taking advantage of the single match a season when clubs generally can promote a good cause rather than their commercial sponsor, which, for 10 of the 20 Premier League clubs, is an online gambling company. Palace were wearing the name of theirs, ManBetX, reported to be a Filipino-owned sports betting and casino outfit, operated by a company registered in Malta.

Sporting the name of their well-regarded community program looked right for Everton and a clear solution to two major challenges for the Premier League highlighted by the new chief executive, Richard Masters, in his first media interviews last week. First and most obviously, as the government begins its review into gambling regulation, which was unleashed so dramatically in 2005 after decades of behind-frosted-glass restrictions, it would be such a better look for clubs.

Masters talked about resisting any moves to ban gambling sponsorships, saying football and betting have a long association – which felt like an unattractive, unconvincing line the league has decided to take. He acknowledged that “governance” should be stronger, “particularly to protect the vulnerable”, but said that overall the Premier League is not “sniffy or judgmental” about its embrace by gambling.

It seemed an oddly casual approach. The alarm is being sounded more strongly than ever now about the transformation of sport’s traditionally controlled association with gambling into relentless marketing online, on shirts, on hoardings, on television.

The legal relaxations coincided with the revolution in mobile phone use, which has made gambling, mostly on apps, much more immediate and, some experts say, more addictive. Dr. Darragh McGee of the University of Bath has warned of the “gamblification” of football after he studied the lives of young men who could no longer watch a game without betting on it and suffered dire consequences to their finances, mental health and relationships.

One of the most heart-wrenching campaigns for stronger regulation is Gambling with Lives, set up by Charles and Liz Ritchie after their son Jack, a sociable, “normal” young man and football lover, killed himself in 2017 aged 24, having become addicted to gambling.

The other challenge for Masters, to which Everton’s shirt on Saturday presented a clear solution, was his corporate mission to gain more recognition for the community work the clubs do. Before the long, blighted search for a chief executive to replace Richard Scudamore was called off with Masters’ in-house elevation from caretaker to the job itself, a senior Premier League source told the Guardian that this was part of the brief. The clubs spend significant resources on their community programs – the most recent figure provided was 3.6% of the last £8.4bn three-year TV deals – and they want more recognition. The programs have developed to work at the sharp end: with police, education authorities and social inclusion agencies to help disadvantaged people in tough neighborhoods.

The area around Goodison Park is one of the country’s most deprived and the community program works with residents, refugees and people who are homeless or suffering addiction problems.

The club’s chief executive, Denise Barrett-Baxendale, ran the community program first and Everton are committed to continuing this work when they move to their planned new stadium on Bramley Moor Dock. Barrett-Baxendale acknowledged at the club’s AGM last month that “in an ideal world” they would prefer a “different type of sponsor” than a gambling company.

SportPesa grew and became vastly profitable in the relatively unregulated gambling environment of Kenya, where senior politicians soon became alarmed at the levels of addiction and indebtedness of young people drawn into online betting.

Masters and the clubs are more likely to gain the wider appreciation they seek if their good works are not perceived to be jarring with commercial voraciousness, evidenced most clearly by selling their shirts to gambling companies. If the clubs turn such sponsorships down and promote their own programs, their claim to have their communities at the heart of who they are will be more credible, and mean more, because they will have put their money on it.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.