Iran Reports More than 1,500 New Virus Cases

Iranians wearing protective masks cross a main road in Tehran on April 13, 2020 during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Getty Images)
Iranians wearing protective masks cross a main road in Tehran on April 13, 2020 during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Getty Images)
TT

Iran Reports More than 1,500 New Virus Cases

Iranians wearing protective masks cross a main road in Tehran on April 13, 2020 during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Getty Images)
Iranians wearing protective masks cross a main road in Tehran on April 13, 2020 during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Getty Images)

Iran warned Saturday that coronavirus infections were rising in the southwest despite falls in other regions, as it announced more than 1,500 new confirmed cases.

"All provinces are showing a gradual drop in new infections... except for Khuzestan, where the situation is still concerning," health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said in televised remarks.

The health ministry stopped publishing provincial figures for the coronavirus last month.

It has instead opted for a color-coded system of white for low-risk parts of the country, yellow for medium-risk and red for high-risk areas.

Latest reports have shown Khuzestan red along with a few other provinces, including the capital Tehran and the Shiite clerical center of Qom, where Iran reported its first cases in February.

Early last week, Iran's official daily caseload hit its lowest level since March 10, but it has since climbed again steadily.

Jahanpour said 1,529 new cases were confirmed in the past 24 hours, taking the overall total to 106,220.

There were 48 new deaths taking the overall toll to 6,589.

Of all those admitted to hospital, 85,064 people had recovered and been discharged.

Experts both at home and abroad have cast doubt on Iran's official figures, saying the actual number of cases could be much higher.



Russian Strikes Kill at Least Two People in Ukraine

Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Russian Strikes Kill at Least Two People in Ukraine

Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS

Russian strikes on Ukraine killed at least two people early Saturday, local authorities said, a day after a deadly attack on a busy shopping center.

Kyiv City Military Administration reported a fire in a warehouse in the capital's Darnytskyi district after issuing an alert for a ballistic missile.

"According to preliminary information, unfortunately, there is one person dead and several injured," the administration said on Telegram.

In the southern city of Zaporizhzhia, a Russian drone killed a man and wounded four people, according to the head of the regional military administration Ivan Fedorov.

The strikes came after a series of Russian bombings killed at least 20 people in Ukraine on Friday, including 16 in a daytime drone attack on a busy shopping center in President Volodymyr Zelensky's hometown Kryvyi Rih.

Rescue operations continued through the night, according to regional military governor Oleksandr Ganzha, who reported nine people missing, including two children.

Rescue services said the attack wounded 130 people, including 23 children.

The United Nations reported that the civilian death toll so far this year had risen to its highest level since the first months of the war.

Kyiv has repeatedly appealed to its allies for additional support as Russia steps up its strikes, with Ukrainian forces struggling in particular to intercept salvos of ballistic missiles.

Ukraine has also escalated retaliatory strikes on Russia in recent months, in part to pressure Moscow to the negotiating table to end Europe's deadliest conflict since World War II.

Diplomatic efforts have failed to move the two sides towards a deal, with Russia demanding sweeping territorial and political concessions from Kyiv.

Zelensky has ruled out agreeing to those terms, arguing it would amount to an effective capitulation that would leave his country exposed to another Russian attack.


More than 16,000 Doses of Ervebo Vaccine Arrive in Ebola-hit DRC

A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
TT

More than 16,000 Doses of Ervebo Vaccine Arrive in Ebola-hit DRC

A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)

More than 16,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine arrived in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) late Friday, an AFP journalist saw, as the country faces the deadliest Ebola outbreak in its history.

The DRC's 17th Ebola outbreak, which has killed thousands of people, was declared on May 15 but is thought to have been spreading for several weeks prior.

It has hit regions in the north and east where the presence of the state is weak, health infrastructure is largely lacking and myriad armed groups have roamed for decades.

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Thursday that the DRC would receive a total of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, produced in Germany.

The vaccine, developed by the pharmaceutical company Merck, is approved against the Zaire strain of the virus, but not against the Bundibugyo strain currently circulating in the country.

WHO experts still do not know whether Ervebo protects humans against the Bundibugyo strain, but early data, notably from animal trials, suggest it could offer some protection.

The Ervebo vaccine "has already been used several times, and in particular on a very large scale during the 2018-2020 outbreak", Samuel Roger Kamba, the DRC's minister of health, told the press.

He was speaking on the tarmac of Kinshasa airport, where a batch of 16,250 doses was delivered by plane on Friday.

Of the 70,000 doses made available to the DRC, 20,000 are intended for a clinical trial, and 50,000 for "frontline and health workers" in the DRC, the WHO explained on Thursday.

The Ebola outbreak in the DRC has already caused 2,516 deaths among 5,290 confirmed cases, according to the latest data published by the Congolese authorities.

It "is growing exponentially", warned Julien Harneis, the UN's senior Ebola coordinator, on Friday.

This month, WHO vaccine experts recommended a full-scale human trial of Ervebo, the only existing approved Ebola vaccine, to see if it offered cross-protection against the Bundibugyo strain.

Two vaccines specifically targeting the Bundibugyo strain are in clinical trial phases: one is being developed by the US-based group Moderna, which uses mRNA technology, and the other by Britain's University of Oxford.

In addition, an "rVSV Bundibugyo" vaccine, described by the WHO as "the most promising", is to be developed by Singapore-based Hilleman Laboratories.

Ebola, which is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids and causes fever, has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa over the past 50 years.


US, Iran Keep Up Hostile Rhetoric Ahead of New Sanctions

A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

US, Iran Keep Up Hostile Rhetoric Ahead of New Sanctions

A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)

The United States and Iran exchanged defiant messages ahead of Monday's scheduled announcement of new US economic sanctions that could impact the country and Tehran's most important trading partners including China.

As the war neared six months old, the two sides were not exchanging fire but also not pursuing peace talks. All the while, oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz have virtually halted as Tehran clings to its leverage by threatening to strike any unauthorized oil tankers that attempt to transit the narrow waterway.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent will hold a press conference on Monday amid promises to reveal "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran while also urging China to cooperate with Washington.

China buys more than 80% of Iran's ‌shipped oil, according ‌to 2025 data from analytics firm Kpler. Beijing urged diplomacy.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson ‌Esmaeil ⁠Baghaei said on Saturday ⁠that the imminent US announcement of new economic sanctions on Iran was an "assertion of extraterritorial sovereignty over every independent member state of the United Nations."

"Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law," he said in a post on X.

US President Donald Trump, who has warned of economic consequences against any country that provides "any type of lifeline to Iran," said on Friday that Washington was observing "what happens" in the conflict.

"They would love to make a deal, but they're not ready to make the right deal, in my opinion," Trump said of Iran.

HORMUZ TRAFFIC HALTED

While the US has ⁠effectively blockaded Iranian vessels in their ports, the Strait of Hormuz remained bottled ‌up with thousands of seafarers stranded on hundreds of vessels.

Only four ‌commodity ships sailed along the strait on Thursday, none of them large crude carriers or liquefied natural gas tankers, ship-tracking data ‌showed.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said the US military helped move a seven-day average of 8 million ‌barrels a day of oil through the strait. That's down from more than 20 million per day before the war or about one of every five barrels consumed worldwide.

US attacks have severely diminished Iran's economy and devastated its navy and air force, but Tehran maintains enough missile and drone capability to impede oil tanker traffic and attack regional countries.

Trump, meanwhile, has yet to ‌achieve objectives he set at the start of the war such as dismantling Iran's nuclear program - the state of which remains uncertain given that UN inspectors have ⁠been shut out since ⁠2025 - and creating conditions for Iranians to overthrow their clerical rulers.

Thousands have been killed, including 168 Iranian school children on the first day of the war. The US has reported more than 750 military personnel wounded and 18 killed.

IRANIAN ECONOMY DAMAGED

The chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, promised on Friday that Iran would respond to enemy threats militarily with "crushing, punishing and devastating responses.”

Still, President Masoud Pezeshkian called for a diplomatic solution.

"It would be better to end the war today, when we are powerful and have dignity, and the whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasizes that America, contrary to all regulations, attacked our schools, hospitals, and infrastructure and is hated in the world," Pezeshkian said, according to the ISNA news agency.

Iran's parliament speaker, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the country's main negotiator in mediated talks with the US, acknowledged the strain on Iran's economy in comments to Iranian and Iraqi businesspeople late on Thursday.

"No matter how much military power we have, we won't survive if people are hungry and we don't have financial turnover, economic growth and national production," Qalibaf said, according to official news agency IRNA.