1 Turkish Soldier Killed in Explosion along Syria’s M4 Highway

Turkish and Russian military vehicles take part in a joint patrol in the northern Idlib province, Syria, April 15, 2020. (Reuters)
Turkish and Russian military vehicles take part in a joint patrol in the northern Idlib province, Syria, April 15, 2020. (Reuters)
TT
20

1 Turkish Soldier Killed in Explosion along Syria’s M4 Highway

Turkish and Russian military vehicles take part in a joint patrol in the northern Idlib province, Syria, April 15, 2020. (Reuters)
Turkish and Russian military vehicles take part in a joint patrol in the northern Idlib province, Syria, April 15, 2020. (Reuters)

One Turkish soldier has died from an explosion along the M4 highway in Syria’s Idlib, the last opposition stronghold in the country.

In a statement Wednesday, the Turkish defense ministry said the soldier was wounded in an explosion and died later in a hospital. It said the explosion took place in an area about 250 meters (820 feet) south of a road patrolled by Turkish forces.

The cause of the explosion was not immediately clear.

Video footage posted online showed smoke billowing from a building along the M4 highway before a large explosion along the road where the patrol was taking place.

Turkey and Russia, which back opposing sides in Syria’s war, agreed on a ceasefire on March 5 following weeks of clashes that brought them to the brink of direct confrontation. Ankara backs opposition factions fighting against Bashar Assad’s regime, and Moscow supports Damascus.

Fighting in Idlib, which escalated starting in December, has displaced nearly a million people and raised concerns of a fresh wave of migrants towards Turkey, which currently hosts nearly 4 million refugees.

Since the deal, Turkey and Russia have conducted 12 patrols along the M4, some of which were cut short due to security concerns, according to Russia’s Defense Ministry.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan last month accused Assad’s forces of violating the ceasefire, warning that they would suffer “heavy losses” if it persisted. He added that Ankara would not allow any “dark groups” in the region to violate the ceasefire either.

At least 66 Turkish soldiers have been killed in Idlib this year.



Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is establishing a new security corridor across the Gaza Strip.

In a statement on Wednesday, he described it as the Morag corridor, using the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis, suggesting it would run between the two southern cities.

His comments came as Palestinian officials at hospitals inside Gaza said Israeli strikes overnight and into Wednesday had killed more than 40 people, nearly a dozen of them children.

The Israeli government has long maintained a buffer zone just inside Gaza along its security fence and has greatly expanded since the war against Hamas began in 2023. Israel says the buffer zone is needed for its security, while Palestinians view it as a land grab that further shrinks the narrow coastal territory, home to around 2 million people.