Libya: COVID-19 Forces Sabha Residents to Isolate Themselves
Libya's National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) called on all citizens to remain in Sabha city until those who were in direct contact with individuals recently tested positive for COVID-19 were traced and the epidemiological situation stabilized.
The number of people infected with the COVID-19 virus in Sabha has increased Tuesday, after 10 new cases had been recorded in the city, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 168, with 52 recoveries and five deaths.
NCDC advised the residents of Sabha, south of Libya, to follow the preventative measures, including, curfew, social distancing, and rigorous adherence to personal hygiene to help stem the spread of the pandemic.
The Center indicated that its epidemiological monitoring and investigation teams as well as the rapid response teams are doing their best to track and identify cases.
It dedicated a free-of-charge emergency number for citizens who have any inquiry or suspect they have any of the virus’ symptoms.
Meanwhile, Justice Ministry of the Government of National Accord (GNA) said that the Ministry's health care unit continues to distribute a number of medical and preventive equipment to prisons and rehabilitation centers in Tripoli, including hand sterilizers and disinfectants.
The Ministry noted that these efforts aim to contain the pandemic and prevent its outbreak in prisons.
The supreme committee to combat coronavirus in the eastern region imposed a general lockdown in from 7 PM till 6 AM to help limit the spread of the virus.
The medical consultative committee said that 74 citizens left their hotel in Benghazi after 14 days of quarantine.
On Tuesday, the US Embassy in Libya announced that the US government has committed an additional $6.5 million in support of Libya’s COVID-19 response, which include helping municipalities formalize their crisis response functions, develop emergency management plans, and train teams in crisis emergency response.
The embassy noted that this additional support will also help to expand public awareness and provide assistance to migrants and refugees in Libya during the pandemic.
“The US Government continues to support Libya’s response to COVID-19, totaling over $12 million in assistance committed since the beginning of the outbreak.”