Egypt Adheres to Agreement Preserving Its ‘Water Rights’

Talks made significant progress in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam’s (GERD) technical matters. (AFP)
Talks made significant progress in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam’s (GERD) technical matters. (AFP)
TT

Egypt Adheres to Agreement Preserving Its ‘Water Rights’

Talks made significant progress in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam’s (GERD) technical matters. (AFP)
Talks made significant progress in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam’s (GERD) technical matters. (AFP)

Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan resumed negotiations on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) for the sixth day on Tuesday, in which “legal matters” were discussed.

Egypt adheres to signing “a comprehensive agreement to fill and operate the dam, legally binding Ethiopia to protect its water rights before starting the filling process of its reservoir early July, an official source told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The source stressed the importance of completing “all technical and legal aspects of the agreement, including the dispute settlement mechanism, before announcing any positive outcomes of the negotiations.”

Talks have been held via videoconference, in the presence of observers from the United States, the European Union, and South Africa (President of the African Union).

Egypt pre-empted Tuesday’s meeting by brandishing “other options” in case parties fail to reach an agreement.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said his country will have to discuss other options like resorting to the UN Security Council, affirming that Ethiopia’s position “doesn’t indicate positive results.”

Sudanese Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Yasser Abbas has earlier revealed differences in the legal aspects on the agreement’s obligations and means of amendment.

Yet, he later announced that talks have so far made “significant progress in the technical matters.”

He said great progress has been made in the technical matters related to the dam's safety, the first filling and long-term operation, the exchange of data and environmental studies, and the Technical Committee for Cooperation.

The amount of flowing water throughout the year determines the number of years the dam will be filled, Abbas stressed, noting that future studies and environmental impacts are included in the negotiation documents.

Sudan had proposed raising the negotiations to the level of premiers in case a consensus is not reached, but Ethiopia and Egypt preferred to continue the negotiations at the current level, the Minister said.

A statement by Sudan’s Ministry of Irrigation on Monday pointed to the agreement among the three delegations to assign the legal teams to continue deliberations, in the observers’ presence.

According to Ethiopia's official news agency, parties reached an understanding during the meeting on Monday on the “first stage of filling, the volume of environmental flow, guidelines for the first stage of filling, approach to drought management rules, dam safety rules, the environmental and social impact of the assessment studies, and the entry of guidelines and rules into effect.”

Ethiopia stressed “the necessity of adopting an approach that guarantees the joint responsibility of the three countries in case of drought, while preserving the optimal operation of the dam."



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.