Saudi Food Security Safely Overcomes Repercussions of COVID-19

Photo by AZIZ SHAH/AFP/Getty Images
Photo by AZIZ SHAH/AFP/Getty Images
TT
20

Saudi Food Security Safely Overcomes Repercussions of COVID-19

Photo by AZIZ SHAH/AFP/Getty Images
Photo by AZIZ SHAH/AFP/Getty Images

The Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture revealed a comprehensive integrated system that contributed to adequate food security despite the severe impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on worldwide food supply chains and the shortage faced in some countries,

The ministry said that it did not face any disruption in the supply chains or a shortage of stock during the crisis, but rather confirmed that the Kingdom had a reliable food chain with a daily production capacity that can meet all of consumers’ needs and with high quality.

Saudi Arabia has the largest storage capacity in the Middle East for wheat and flour, according to Minister Abdul Rahman Al-Fadhli, who issued on Monday a detailed statement that assesses the state of Saudi food security.

“The Kingdom presented a great model in implementing the food security strategy, cooperating with the private sector, and guaranteeing responsible consumption in sales outlets,” he emphasized.

The measures and precautions that were taken during the pandemic came as a result of a pre-emptive action planned with all government sectors more than 4 years ago, he added.

The minister also stressed that the citizens’ awareness and confidence in the efforts made by the state were one of the main reasons for the availability of these products throughout the day, at reasonable prices.

He noted that the Kingdom has achieved high rates of self-sufficiency in many agricultural products, mainly dates (more than 125 percent of sufficiency), vegetables and poultry (60 percent), eggs (116 percent), in addition to fresh milk and its derivatives (109 percent) and fish (55 percent).

Al-Fadhli stressed that the Kingdom was moving forward in developing a sustainable agricultural system in a way that enhances its food security and preserves natural resources, in addition to expanding agricultural investment abroad in countries that enjoy relative advantages.



OPEC+ Speeds Up Oil Output Hikes

FILE PHOTO: OPEC logo is seen in this illustration taken, October 8, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: OPEC logo is seen in this illustration taken, October 8, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT
20

OPEC+ Speeds Up Oil Output Hikes

FILE PHOTO: OPEC logo is seen in this illustration taken, October 8, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: OPEC logo is seen in this illustration taken, October 8, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Eight OPEC+ countries agreed on Thursday to advance their plan to phase out oil output cuts by increasing output by 411,000 barrels per day in May.

Eight members of OPEC+, which includes the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allies led by Russia, had been scheduled to raise output by 135,000 barrels per day in May as part of a plan to gradually unwind their most recent layer of output cuts.
But after a meeting of the eight countries held online on Thursday, the group announced it would boost output by 411,000 bpd in May. OPEC cited "continuing healthy market fundamentals and the positive market outlook."
"This comprises the increment originally planned for May in addition to two monthly increments," OPEC said in a statement referring to the volume. "The gradual increases may be paused or reversed subject to evolving market conditions."
The eight OPEC+ countries will meet on May 5 to decide on June output, OPEC's statement said.

They are Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq, UAE, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Algeria, and Oman.