Iran Mobilizes Forces on Iraqi-Kurdish Border

Khosrawi border crossing between Iraq and Iran (File photo: AFP)
Khosrawi border crossing between Iraq and Iran (File photo: AFP)
TT
20

Iran Mobilizes Forces on Iraqi-Kurdish Border

Khosrawi border crossing between Iraq and Iran (File photo: AFP)
Khosrawi border crossing between Iraq and Iran (File photo: AFP)

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) mobilized a large force on the border with the Iraqi-Kurdistan region, threatening to attack bases of Kurdish opposition groups if they continue to pose a threat to Iran.

The Kurdish media network Rudaw reported that during a meeting at the Mariwan border region, IRGC’s Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour said his troops were targeting sites of hostile forces within Iraqi territories and the Kurdistan region, adding that they will continue to do so in the future.

“We would strike any location where terrorists are present, organized, and stationed… We will vigorously continue to cleanse the region of terrorists,” stressed Pakpour.

The Brigadier General indicated that the Kurdistan region and Iraq should enhance their monitoring of the borders, asking residents to stay away from the areas near the sites targeted by Iran.

Rudaw reported that a few days ago, IRGC began transporting heavily armed forces to the border areas between Iran’s Mariwan and Iraq’s Penjwen. It also warned the residents against approaching these areas until the end of this week.

On Tuesday, IRGC announced it was conducting major maneuvers in the Mariwan region, with the participation of ground and air forces, drones, and special task forces.

Meanwhile, the leadership of the Eastern Kurdistan Protection Units, the military wing of Kurdistan Free Life Party (PJAK), announced that Iran mobilized large forces on the border villages of Mariwan and established large military bases.

The Units issued a statement saying the Iranian forces ordered shepherds to leave those areas, adding that drones flew over the area and artillery units shelled border areas for two hours Tuesday morning.

The Kurdistan Democratic Party announced that the Revolutionary Guard started to establish military bases in the villages on the border of Sardasht, adding that the Corps is also pushing residents towards fighting among its ranks.

Meanwhile, Turkey continues its “Claw-Tiger” operation to neutralize Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), in northern Iraq.

Last week, Baghdad summoned the ambassadors of Turkey and Iran protesting their ongoing military actions and violations of Iraqi sovereignty.



Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
TT
20

Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States was revoking all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders, accusing the African nation's government of “taking advantage of the United States.”
“Every country must accept the return of its citizens in a timely manner when another country, including the United States, seeks to remove them,” Rubio said in a statement, adding that “South Sudan’s transitional government has failed to fully respect this principle."
Besides revoking visas, Rubio said the US would "prevent further issuance to prevent entry into the United States by South Sudanese passport holders.”
South Sudan’s political landscape is fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed opposition groups has escalated tensions, The Associated Press said.
Last week, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged regional and international leaders to prevent South Sudan from falling “over the abyss” into another civil war.
Guterres warned that the world’s newest and one of its poorest countries is facing “a security emergency” with intensifying clashes and a “political upheaval” culminating with last week’s arrest by the government of First Vice President Riek Machar.