Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
TT

Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters

As statements of intent go Chelsea’s signing of Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, confirmed on Thursday, is the clearest signal yet of their determination to rub shoulders with Europe’s elite again. A striker coveted by Bayern Munich and Liverpool will be wearing a blue shirt next season and, while Frank Lampard’s side still have to make sure they can offer their newest addition Champions League football, it is hard not to feel that Chelsea’s ruthless touch is returning after a tepid few years in the transfer market.

The mood has changed. Six months ago Lampard cut a frustrated figure. He made it clear he wanted attacking reinforcements after Chelsea’s transfer embargo was halved in December and struggled to hide his disappointment when nobody arrived in January. A team low on creative inspiration following the sale of Eden Hazard to Real Madrid last summer needed an injection of class and Lampard’s concerns looked justified when Bayern won 3-0 at Stamford Bridge in February.

Chelsea have not made it past the last 16 of the Champions League since 2014 and are unlikely to improve that record when they visit Bayern for the second leg in August. Even so the growing sense is of a club on the up again, with the recruitment department and the head coach on the same wavelength and Roman Abramovich willing to provide funds to land key targets. Shortly after that quiet deadline day Chelsea agreed a £37m deal to sign Hakim Ziyech from Ajax in the summer and now they have pulled off another coup, sharpening their attack after winning the race for Werner.

“It is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club,” Werner told Chelsea’s website, which said he would link up with the squad in July, subject to a medical. That means, as anticipated, he will not play in the Champions League for Leipzig. Werner predicted “a very successful future” at Stamford Bridge.

Whereas Bayern and Liverpool dithered, Chelsea pounced. They have paid £47.5m for Werner and, with the coronavirus pandemic potentially affecting budgets at other clubs, see an opportunity to make some decisive leaps. They have not used the £105m received for Hazard, Atlético Madrid are due to spend £48.5m to make Álvaro Morata’s loan permanent and further sales could boost the budget. All being well more new faces will follow Werner and Ziyech. Lampard wants Kai Havertz – a tricky one to pull off given that Bayer Leverkusen want at least €100m (£90m) for the 21-year-old winger – and likes the Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell.

It could come down to choosing between Havertz and Chilwell. Both will be costly. Leicester are tough negotiators and although Chilwell fancies the move, Ajax’s Nicolás Tagliafico and Porto’s Alex Telles are cheaper alternatives at left-back.

The most inexperienced manager in the Premier League has made some shrewd moves so far. He was wise to move on quickly after venting on 31 January and has protected his relationship with Marina Granovskaia, the powerful director. He played a key role in landing Ziyech, the gifted Moroccan playmaker, and also laid on the charm when it came to nabbing Werner, whose 32 goals in all competitions this season mark him out as one of the finest forwards in Europe.

Ziyech has said Lampard bombarded him with texts to convince him to join, an approach that Werner will recognize. Before lockdown Lampard and Petr Cech, appointed as the club’s technical and performance adviser last summer, met Werner in Germany. They laid out their plans and struck up a rapport with the 24-year-old.

Sources have said Cech has been heavily involved in the deal. Cech and Lampard, teammates for a decade, combined to convince Werner. After a season of frustration in the final third, Chelsea have their marquee forward – a player capable of playing through the middle or on the left, with the ability to operate alone or in a two, and the awareness to take and create chances. Although they could do with more oomph in central defense, there is no doubt that buying Werner is a step in the right direction.

The German’s versatility will allow him allow him to play as a lone forward or work in tandem with Tammy Abraham or Olivier Giroud, and he keeps going when he misses chances. Werner comes back for more – no doubt there will be plenty of opportunities with Ziyech in midfield – and his determination to hit the ground running can be seen in his willingness to move to London in July and miss Leipzig’s Champions League quarter-final.

It is a coup for Lampard, who inherited a squad in need of renewal last summer. He has given the kids a chance but Chelsea need more conviction. Although they have impressive options in central midfield, an overhaul is overdue in other positions. Willian and Pedro, both of whom are out of contract on 30 June, are coming to the end. There are doubts over Ross Barkley, Marcos Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson Palmieri, and Michy Batshuayi. Tiémoué Bakayoko, a dud signing, has no future at the club.

Chelsea must work hard to catch Liverpool and Manchester City at the top of the league. Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic, young wingers with potential, are unproven. Mason Mount is learning and Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on his way back from a serious injury. Lampard should not settle if there are big deals to be done. Havertz, a target for Bayern, Madrid, Liverpool and United, would enhance his side’s threat.

Do not rule out Havertz. Chelsea mean business. They have short-term targets to meet, a place in the top four to protect, but Lampard wants trophies. The spending is unlikely to stop with Werner.

(The Guardian)



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.