Saudi Candidate for WTO to Redevelop Mechanisms of Work Method

Saudi Arabia’s candidate to the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Mohammed al-Tuwaijiri presented development and reform visions (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Saudi Arabia’s candidate to the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Mohammed al-Tuwaijiri presented development and reform visions (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Candidate for WTO to Redevelop Mechanisms of Work Method

Saudi Arabia’s candidate to the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Mohammed al-Tuwaijiri presented development and reform visions (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Saudi Arabia’s candidate to the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Mohammed al-Tuwaijiri presented development and reform visions (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The working program of Saudi Arabia’s candidate to the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) aims at redeveloping the international body’s mechanisms of the work method, said Saudi officials on Saturday.

Advisor at the Royal Court Mohammed bin Mazyad al-Tuwaijiri arrived in Geneva last week to take part in the meetings of the WTO general council, and he presented his vision and working program before the representatives of the WTO member states and answered their questions on Friday.

Governor of KSA’s General Authority for Foreign Trade Abdulrahman al-Harbi said Tuwaijiri has addressed the problems and challenges facing the organization.

“He discussed its main tasks of negotiations, dispute settlement, notifications, and transparency,” Harbi noted, indicating that these points affirm the candidate’s approach to redevelop the organization’s work mechanisms.

Commenting on the trade challenges among various countries, Harbi said the organization, with its mechanism and work methodology, lacks an analysis of root problems.

He pointed to Tuwaijiri’s call to bolster communication and political support by member states and proposal to hold the ministerial conference annually instead of every two years.

According to Harbi, this would enable progress to be made in the organization’s achievements and cooperation with other international bodies.

The Kingdom’s candidate tackled the most prominent topics in the WTO, Harbi stressed.

“These include the challenges facing developing and least developed countries, the negotiation mechanism and dispute settlement bodies, as well as the challenges caused by the imbalance in the organization's methodology of work.”

The program presented has focused on two main aspects. The first is resolving the current challenges by restructuring the organization’s work mechanism so that it can function normally. And the second is not to neglect some quick wins in some of the organization’s existing issues and negotiations.

Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Dr. Khalid Manzalawi, for his part, said the Kingdom’s candidacy to preside the WTO comes in line with its efficiency in leading the world’s largest economies in its role as president of the G20 for 2020.

Tuwaijri holds an MBA with honors from King Saud University in business management.

He served in several important positions in the Kingdom, notably minister of economy and planning. He also served as a member of cabinet and a member of the economic and development affairs council from 2017 to 2020.

He also served as deputy minister of economy and planning, secretary-general of the financial committee at the Royal Court from 2016 to 2017. He was also vice president of the national development fun and president of the National Transformation Program. He also played a role in forming strategic partnerships in several countries.

Tuwaijri was also president of the National Privatization Program and is member of the board of Saudi Aramco and the Public Investment Fund. From 2007 to 2010, Tuwaijri was CEO of JP Morgan Saudi Arabia. He moved to HSBC, where he worked in various roles, including CEO of global banking and markets, regional head of service management, and group vice president and CEO of HSBC MENA and Turkey.



China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
TT

China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 

China's Russian oil imports are set to climb for a third straight month to a new record high in February as independent refiners snapped up deeply discounted cargoes after India slashed purchases, according to traders and ship-tracking data.

Russian crude shipments are estimated to amount to 2.07 million barrels per day for February deliveries into China, surpassing January's estimated rate of 1.7 million bpd, an early assessment by Vortexa Analytics shows.

Kpler's provisional data showed February imports at 2.083 million bpd, up from 1.718 million bpd in January, according to Reuters.

China has since November replaced India as Moscow's top client for seaborne shipments as Western sanctions over the war in Ukraine and pressure to clinch a trade deal with the US forced New Delhi to scale back Russian oil imports to a two-year low in December.

India's Russian crude imports are estimated to fall further to 1.159 million bpd in February, Kpler data showed.

Independent Chinese refiners, known as teapots, are the world's largest consumers of US sanctioned oil from Russia, Iran and Venezuela.

“For the quality you get from processing Russian oil versus Iranian, Russian supplies have become relatively more competitive,” said a senior Chinese trader who regularly deals with teapots.

ESPO blend last traded at $8 to $9 a barrel discounts to ICE Brent for March deliveries, while Iranian Light, a grade of similar quality, was last assessed at $10 to $11 below ICE Brent, the trader added.

Uncertainty since January over whether the US would launch military strikes on Iran if negotiations for a nuclear deal failed to yield Washington's desired results curbed buying from Chinese teapots and traders, said Emma Li, Vortexa's China analyst.

“For teapots, Russian oil looks more reliable now as people are worried about loadings of Iranian oil in case of a military confrontation,” Li said.

Part of the elevated Russian oil purchases came from larger independent refiners outside the teapot hub of Shandong, Li added.

Vortexa estimated Iranian oil deliveries into China – often banded by traders as Malaysian to circumvent US sanctions - eased to 1.03 million bpd this month, down from January's 1.25 million bpd.

 

 

 


Oil in Spotlight as Trump's Iran Warning Rattles Sleepy Markets

FILE - In this Oct. 21, 2013, file photo, smoke billows from an oil refinery in Kawasaki, southwest of Tokyo. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara, File)
FILE - In this Oct. 21, 2013, file photo, smoke billows from an oil refinery in Kawasaki, southwest of Tokyo. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara, File)
TT

Oil in Spotlight as Trump's Iran Warning Rattles Sleepy Markets

FILE - In this Oct. 21, 2013, file photo, smoke billows from an oil refinery in Kawasaki, southwest of Tokyo. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara, File)
FILE - In this Oct. 21, 2013, file photo, smoke billows from an oil refinery in Kawasaki, southwest of Tokyo. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara, File)

Oil prices stabilized on Tuesday as investors assessed supply disruption risks after Iran conducted naval exercises near the Strait of Hormuz ahead of nuclear talks with the United States later in the day.

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that he would participate "indirectly" in the Geneva talks, adding that he believed Tehran wanted to reach an agreement. Trump said at the end of the week that regime change in Iran would be the "best thing that could happen."

Brent crude futures fell 0.2 percent to $68.59 a barrel by 01:06 GMT, after rising 1.3 percent on Monday.

US West Texas Intermediate crude was at $63.73 a barrel, up 84 cents, or 1.34 percent, but that gain incorporated all price movement on Monday, as the contract was not settled that day due to the US Presidents Day holiday.

Many markets were closed on Tuesday for the Lunar New Year, including China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore.

"The market remains jittery amid ongoing geopolitical uncertainty," Daniel Hynes, an analyst at ANZ Bank, said in a research note.

He added: "Should tensions in the Middle East ease, or tangible progress be made on the Ukrainian situation, the risk premium currently embedded in oil prices may quickly dissipate. However, any negative outcome or further escalation could be positive for oil prices."

Iran began military exercises on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital international waterway and a major oil export route from Gulf countries, which have called for diplomacy to end the conflict.

Meanwhile, Citigroup said that if Russian supply disruptions continue to keep Brent crude within a range of $65 to $70 a barrel in the coming months, OPEC+ is likely to respond by increasing production from spare capacity.

Three sources in OPEC+ said the organization is inclined to resume increasing oil production from April, as the group prepares for peak summer demand, and higher prices are reinforced by tensions over US-Iranian relations.

"We expect, in the base case, that two oil deals will be reached, one with Iran and the other with Russia and Ukraine, by or during the summer of this year, which will contribute to a decline in prices to $60-62 a barrel of Brent," Citigroup said.


Greece… Chevron’s Gateway to Strengthening Europe’s Energy Security

The lease allows Chevron to lead the search for gas in four deep-sea blocks, south of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete (AFP)
The lease allows Chevron to lead the search for gas in four deep-sea blocks, south of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete (AFP)
TT

Greece… Chevron’s Gateway to Strengthening Europe’s Energy Security

The lease allows Chevron to lead the search for gas in four deep-sea blocks, south of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete (AFP)
The lease allows Chevron to lead the search for gas in four deep-sea blocks, south of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete (AFP)

A consortium led by US oil major Chevron signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding the United States' presence in the eastern Mediterranean. The deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks ‌to replace them.

Exxon ‌Mobil in November joined Energean and Helleniq to search ‌for ⁠gas in another ⁠offshore block in Western Greece. Monday's agreement allows Chevron - which also plans to expand production in Israel - to lead the search for gas in four deep-sea blocks, south of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete, stretching across 47,000 square kilometers (18,147 square miles). It follows Chevron and Helleniq Energy, Greece's biggest oil refiner, last year winning an international tender.

GREECE SEEKS TO BE A GATEWAY FOR US GAS

Greece, which ⁠has no gas production and relies on gas imports ‌for power generation and domestic consumption, has revived ‌its quest for gas exploration after a 2022 energy price shock driven by Russia's ‌invasion of Ukraine. It also aims to be a gateway for US ‌liquefied natural gas transported via the Vertical Gas Corridor, a route that carries gas from Greece to central Europe and Ukraine. US Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle said US LNG flowing through Greece had strengthened the alliance between the United States and Europe.

"It redraws, ‌quite simply, the energy map of Europe, creating a durable alternative to Russian gas not just for one season ⁠but for generations ⁠to come," Guilfoyle said during a presentation of the contracts in Athens. The European Union is building renewables capacity to cut greenhouse emissions, but has acknowledged the need for natural gas as a transition fuel to help stabilize the grid when intermittent wind and solar energy are not available.

The Greek parliament will need to approve the lease contracts before the Chevron-led consortium can start seismic research later this year. Greece has said the consortium has up to five years to locate potential recoverable deposits and any test drilling would not take place before 2030-2032.