Algerian Lawyers Demand Release of Prisoners Infected with Coronavirus

Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
TT

Algerian Lawyers Demand Release of Prisoners Infected with Coronavirus

Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo

Algerian lawyers demanded the release of retired Major General Ali Ghediri, who went on a hunger strike last week and which was suspended when he tested positive for the coronavirus.

Ghediri’s lawyer, Khalid Burayo, told Asharq Al-Awsat that his client's condition is stable.

He asked the prison administration to transfer him to a hospital for treatment, and urged the authorities to issue orders for the judiciary to temporarily release him, pending his trial.

In June 2019, authorities convicted Ghediri, and then army chief of staff Lieutenant-General Ahmed Gaid Saleh ordered his imprisonment.

Burayo stressed that Ghediri’s infection with the COVID-19 disease is a strong reason for the authorities to release him, especially since he has been in pretrial detention for over a year, and his charge does not require him to be kept in prison.

Ghediri, 65, has been accused of “treason and spying for the benefit of foreign powers” and “attempting to weaken the army’s morale.”

A few months ago, he was acquitted of the first charge, and Burayo said the second is “political” after Ghediri made a few media statements concerning the army, which didn’t appease the military leadership, in reference to Gaid Saleh, who died of a heart attack at the end of last year.

The lawyer confirmed that Ghediri’s case has all the conditions for a temporary release, which is a legal mechanism that compensates pretrial detention for defendants who are not involved in serious crimes.

He wondered if giving political statements is a crime that deserves imprisonment.

Ghediri is a former official of the Defense Ministry and ran for the presidential elections in 2019.

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Miloud Brahimi stated that his clients, former Trade Minister Amara Benyounes and former director general of a state tourism company, Hamid Melzi, contracted the coronavirus a week ago. Both were prominent officials during the rule of Abdelaziz Bouteflika, and are accused of corruption.

The lawyer confirmed that the former chief of protocol at the presidency, Mokhtar Reguieg, was transferred from his cell to the prison clinic after showing symptoms of COVID-19. Reguieg, a top Bouteflika aide, is also accused of corruption.

Brahimi, one of the founders of the Algerian League for the Defense of Human Rights (LADDH), said that putting hundreds of prisoners in pretrial detention increases the possibility of infection spreading among them.

He called on President Abdelmadjid Tebboune to release those who do not pose a threat to society.

Last week, the family of former minister Musa Benhamadi accused the prison administration of negligence after he died in prison from COVID-19.

In addition, two former prime ministers, Ahmed Ouyahia and Abdelmalek Sellal, who are both convicted with heavy sentences, have suffered complications due to the coronavirus and have been in hospital for the past week.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.