The New Must-Have Museum Souvenir: Face Masks

Mothlike creatures on masks from the Stedelijk art museum in Amsterdam.Credit...Iris Duvekot, via Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
Mothlike creatures on masks from the Stedelijk art museum in Amsterdam.Credit...Iris Duvekot, via Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
TT

The New Must-Have Museum Souvenir: Face Masks

Mothlike creatures on masks from the Stedelijk art museum in Amsterdam.Credit...Iris Duvekot, via Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
Mothlike creatures on masks from the Stedelijk art museum in Amsterdam.Credit...Iris Duvekot, via Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam

On Monday lunchtime, a steady trickle of people wandered into the gift shop of the National Gallery in the British capital, browsing souvenirs to mark their first visit to a museum since Britain started emerging from lockdown.

Staying socially distanced, visitors glanced around the racks that held National Gallery umbrellas, National Gallery gin and National Gallery pencil cases. But many were quickly drawn to the museum’s range of face masks.

“They’re really cool,” said Jessica Macdonald, a 16-year-old student, as she grabbed one featuring Vincent Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers,” on sale for 9.50 pounds, about $12. “My mum’s been trying to find nice ones for ages so we don’t have to wear these,” she added, pointing at the blue medical mask she was wearing.Lorna May Wadsworth, 40, an artist, also bought a mask, featuring a floral painting by Ambrosius Bosschaert the Elder, despite saying that with her highly patterned outfit it made her look “like a Christmas tree.”

The masks have been some of the gift shop’s biggest sellers since the museum reopened on July 8, said Yumi Nakajima, a store assistant. Although not everyone was impressed. Alison Ripley, 66, said she thought that the floral choices were tame.

As museums start to reopen in Europe and the United States, and many countries require people to wear masks to halt the further spread of the coronavirus, masks on sale at gift shops are likely to become a frequent sight. The British government said on Tuesday that masks would have to be worn in shops in England, with fines handed out to those who refuse. (Museums were not expressly included in the new mask regulations. The National Gallery has asked visitors to wear them but is not enforcing the rule.) The same day, in France, President Emmanuel Macron said that masks would soon have to be worn in all enclosed public spaces.

In the US, many states have face-covering orders in effect that, in general, require people to wear masks in public places where distance cannot be maintained.

Judith Mather, the National Gallery’s buying director, said in a telephone interview that the decision to sell masks was quite a last-minute decision. In June, she said, she was in a supermarket, and, “I was looking around at people and their masks looked so surgical and so ugly,” she said. “I just thought some art would be really different and striking.”

For the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, there’s also been a financial incentive. Leanne Graeff, a senior manager in the museum’s product development team, said in a telephone interview that masks were an easy way for people to give money to museums. The Met is already selling four masks online, featuring impressionist paintings and New York scenes, and a larger range is expected when the museum reopens in late August.

Mask designs at museums vary widely. The Uffizi in Florence has stamped its logo all over its masks, reminiscent of the way Italian fashion houses do the same on handbags. The Tate, which runs several museums in Britain, has prepared a range of masks that feature paintings such as Turner’s “The Lagoon near Venice, at Sunset.”

The museum that has arguably had the most success in selling face masks so far is the Klimt Villa in Vienna, a museum housed in one of Gustav Klimt’s former studios. In March, the museum had to close when Austria went into lockdown, according to Baris Alakus, the museum’s director, and it was soon in desperate need of money. “We’re a private museum so we don’t get any support from the government,” Mr. Alakus said. “It was a very critical situation.”

Then Brigitte Huber, a fashion designer and Klimt’s great-granddaughter, suggested making masks to help raise funds. She came up with a simple navy design with a touch of white embroidery reminiscent of Klimt’s paintings, and made them out of the same material used to make his painting overalls.

The museum, which reopened in May, has sold over 6,000 so far, at 20 euros each, about $23. “With the money, we’ve paid all the bills,” Mr. Alakus said.

Not every museum is selling masks to raise money for their own operations. The Stedelijk art museum in Amsterdam is selling masks designed by Carlos Amorales, a Mexican artist whose exhibition at the museum was suspended by the pandemic. The masks feature a mothlike creature that moves when the wearer breathes in or talks, and the profits are being used by Mr. Amorales to make masks for Mexican street workers.

The Stedelijk might commission more artists to design masks, said Rein Wolfs, the museum’s director, in a telephone interview. “It’s a perfect opportunity when artists are struggling,” he said.

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has also teamed up with a charity for its face masks, which — somewhat bizarrely — feature a wide-eyed self-portrait by Rembrandt. “Since this is a face mask, we thought we should put a face on it,” Philine Hofman, the head of the museum’s shop, said in a telephone interview. “We thought, ‘If you have to wear it, let’s at least have some humor to it,’” she added.

In the National Gallery in London on Monday, several visitors said they liked the idea of more unusual mask designs.

Sue Bucknell, 72, said that she and her husband had seen a good potential image for a mask while touring the museum: Gerrit van Honthorst’s 17th-century painting of Saint Sebastian pierced by arrows. “He’s meant to prevent plague so I thought that’d be appropriate,” Ms. Bucknell said, laughing. “It’s like saying, ‘Keep away!’”

Despite that idea, she bought the “Sunflowers” mask. It was better than her existing boring masks, she said. “And it supports the gallery, which clearly needs it right now,” she added, waving her hand in the direction of the museum’s half-empty rooms.

The New York Times



17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
TT

17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)

A 17th century Swedish Navy shipwreck buried underwater in central Stockholm for 400 years has suddenly become visible due to unusually low Baltic Sea levels.

The wooden planks of the ship's well-preserved hull have since early February been peeking out above the surface of the water off the island of Kastellholmen, providing a clear picture of its skeleton.

"We have a shipwreck here, which was sunk on purpose by the Swedish Navy," Jim Hansson, a marine archeologist at Stockholm's Vrak - Museum of Wrecks, told AFP.

Hansson said experts believe that after serving in the navy, the ship was sunk around 1640 to use as a foundation for a new bridge to the island of Kastellholmen.

Archeologists have yet to identify the exact ship, as it is one of five similar wrecks lined up in the same area to form the bridge, all dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

"This is a solution, instead of using new wood you can use the hull itself, which is oak" to build the bridge, Hansson said.

"We don't have shipworm here in the Baltic that eats the wood, so it lasts, as you see, for 400 years," he said, standing in front of the wreck.

Parts of the ship had already broken the surface in 2013, but never before has it been as visible as it is now, as the waters of the Baltic Sea reach their lowest level in about 100 years, according to the archaeologist.

"There has been a really long period of high pressure here around our area in the Nordics. So the water from the Baltic has been pushed out to the North Sea and the Atlantic," Hansson explained.

A research program dubbed "the Lost Navy" is underway to identify and precisely date the large number of Swedish naval shipwrecks lying on the bottom of the Baltic.


China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
TT

China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)

Fifteen years ago, Beijing's Liangma riverbanks would have been smog-choked and deserted in winter, but these days they are dotted with families and exercising pensioners most mornings.

The turnaround is the result of a years-long campaign that threw China's state power behind policies like moving factories and electrifying vehicles, to improve some of the world's worst air quality.

Pollution levels in many Chinese cities still top the World Health Organization's (WHO) limits, but they have fallen dramatically since the "airpocalypse" days of the past.

"It used to be really bad," said Zhao, 83, soaking up the sun by the river with friends.

"Back then when there was smog, I wouldn't come out," she told AFP, declining to give her full name.

These days though, the air is "very fresh".

Since 2013, levels of PM2.5 -- small particulate that can enter the lungs and bloodstream -- have fallen 69.8 percent, Beijing municipality said in January.

Particulate pollution fell 41 percent nationwide in the decade from 2014, and average life expectancy has increased 1.8 years, according to the University of Chicago's Air Quality Life Index (AQLI).

China's rapid development and heavy coal use saw air quality decline dramatically by the 2000s, especially when cold winter weather trapped pollutants close to the ground.

There were early attempts to tackle the issue, including installing desulphurization technology at coal power plants, while factory shutdowns and traffic control improved the air quality for events like the 2008 Olympics.

But the impact was short-lived, and the problem worsened.

- Action plan -

Public awareness grew, heightened by factors like the US embassy in Beijing making monitoring data public.

By 2013, several international schools had installed giant inflatable domes around sport facilities to protect students.

That year, multiple episodes of prolonged haze shrouded Chinese cities, with one in October bringing northeastern Harbin to a standstill for days as PM2.5 levels hit 40 times the WHO's then-recommended standard.

The phrase "I'm holding your hand, but I can't see your face" took off online.

Later that year, an eight-year-old became the country's youngest lung cancer patient, with doctors directly blaming pollution.

As concerns mounted, China's ruling Communist Party released a ten-point action plan, declaring "a war against pollution".

It led to expanded monitoring, improved factory technology and the closure or relocation of coal plants and mines.

In big cities, vehicles were restricted and the groundwork was laid for widespread electrification.

For the first time, "quantitative air quality improvement goals for key regions within a clear time limit" were set, a 2016 study noted.

These targets were "the most important measure", said Bluetech Clean Air Alliance director Tonny Xie, whose non-profit worked with the government on the plan.

"At that time, there were a lot of debates about whether we can achieve it, because (they were) very ambitious," he told AFP.

The policy targeted several key regions, where PM2.5 levels fell rapidly between 2013 and 2017, and the approach was expanded nationwide afterwards.

"Everybody, I think, would agree that this is a miracle that was achieved in China," Xie said.

China's success is "entirely" responsible for a decline in global pollution since 2014, AQLI said last summer.

- 'Low-hanging fruits' gone -

Still, in much of China the air remains dangerous to breathe by WHO standards.

This winter, Chinese cities, including financial hub Shanghai, were regularly among the world's twenty most polluted on monitoring site IQAir.

Linda Li, a running coach who has lived in both Beijing and Shanghai, said air quality has improved, but she still loses up to seven running days to pollution in a good month.

A top environment official last year said China aimed to "basically eliminate severe air pollution by 2025", but the government did not respond when AFP asked if that goal had been met.

Official 2025 data found nationwide average PM2.5 concentrations decreased 4.4 percent on-year.

Eighty-eight percent of days featured "good" air quality.

However, China's current definition of "good" is PM2.5 levels of under 35 micrograms per cubic meter, significantly higher than the WHO's recommended five micrograms.

China wants to tighten the standard to 25 by 2035.

The last five years have also seen pollution reduction slow.

The "low-hanging fruits" are gone, said Chengcheng Qiu from the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA).

Qiu's research suggests pollution is shifting west as heavy industry relocates to regions like Xinjiang, and that some cities in China have seen double-digit percentage increases in PM2.5 in the last five years.

"They can't just stop all industrial production. They need to find cleaner ways to produce the output," Qiu said.

There is hope for that, given China's status as a renewable energy powerhouse, with coal generation falling in 2025.

"Cleaner air ultimately rests on one clear direction," said Qiu.

"Move beyond fossil fuels and let clean energy power the next stage of development."


Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
TT

Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)

A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.

The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.

A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.

The animals -- including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks -- were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.

"Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women's handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes," the statement said.

The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.

Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.

The New South Wales government's environment department said that "the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime", harming conservation and stripping the state "and Australia of its unique biodiversity".