2 Majors, Lieutenant Accused of Killing Protesters in Baghdad

Two Iraqis are pictured on July 27, 2020, at the spot where a protest tent was burned the previous night in Baghdad's Tahrir Square. Ahmad Al-Rubaye/AFP
Two Iraqis are pictured on July 27, 2020, at the spot where a protest tent was burned the previous night in Baghdad's Tahrir Square. Ahmad Al-Rubaye/AFP
TT
20

2 Majors, Lieutenant Accused of Killing Protesters in Baghdad

Two Iraqis are pictured on July 27, 2020, at the spot where a protest tent was burned the previous night in Baghdad's Tahrir Square. Ahmad Al-Rubaye/AFP
Two Iraqis are pictured on July 27, 2020, at the spot where a protest tent was burned the previous night in Baghdad's Tahrir Square. Ahmad Al-Rubaye/AFP

The Iraqi Judiciary arrested on Thursday three security officers, including two majors and a lieutenant, on charges of killing protesters in central Baghdad early this week, using hunting rifles.

Iraqi Interior Minister Othman Al-Ghanemi revealed the news in a press conference held in the capital. He gave the names of the policemen and displayed the arms and ammunition they had used.

Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi had ordered the country’s security forces to investigate the deaths of several anti-government protesters in central Baghdad on Monday.

“The two martyrs fell as a result of the use of personal hunting rifles by two officers of the rank of a major, a lieutenant, and an associate, and that Major Ahmed Salam Khadir admitted using his personal weapon," Ghanemi said in a press conference.

He added that during questioning with Lieutenant Hussein Jabbar, he admitted to using a hunting rifle to confront the demonstrators. The third is Alaa Fadel.

According to the Minister, the judge decided to arrest the accused officers in line with Article 406/1 of the Penal Code, and investigations are ongoing to refer them to the competent court.

Ghanemi said an investigation had been opened because the federal police had deployed "to fire live rounds in the air", contravening orders not to use live fire by the PM, who heads the armed forces.

He called on the demonstrators to commit to peace, and security services to protect the demonstrators.

In a tweet, Kadhimi confirmed that he will proceed with opening a probe with all those involved in the bloodshed of demonstrators.

"We promised our people to reveal the facts about the incidents of Tahrir Square within 72 hours, and we did,” he said.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.