Algerian Judiciary Investigates Properties of Gaid Salah’s Family

File photo: Ahmed Gaïd Salah. AP
File photo: Ahmed Gaïd Salah. AP
TT
20

Algerian Judiciary Investigates Properties of Gaid Salah’s Family

File photo: Ahmed Gaïd Salah. AP
File photo: Ahmed Gaïd Salah. AP

Algeria’s security services have launched a thorough investigation into properties and investments made by the family of late Ahmed Gaid Salah, the powerful Algerian general and army chief.

Salah died on Dec. 23 last year. He was the country's deputy minister of defense and had supported protesters who called for the resignation of president Abdelaziz Bouteflika.

A report published Thursday by Al Watan newspaper said that the Dar El Beida Tribunal in Algiers banned the two sons of Gaid Salah, Adel and Boumediene, from travelling abroad.

It said both men are now subject to a judicial inquiry into the properties and companies, which Gaid Salah’s family owned when the Algerian army chief was in power.

A judicial source said that the prosecution placed a number of Gaid Salah family members and other figures and businessmen on the list of persons banned from travelling on suspicion of corruption.

The same source said that a decision was taken to launch investigations with Gaid Salah’s two sons after their names came up during the interrogation of Guermit Bounouira, a former private secretary to Gaid Salah, who fled Algeria on March 5 to seek asylum in exchange for highly sensitive information and documents.

Bounouira was handed over by Turkey to the Algerian authorities last month. He is in detention in the military prison of Blida on charges of high treason.

The newspaper said that investigations with Gaid Salah’s family revolve around their properties in the eastern town of Annaba.

The family also owns a number of buildings and a newspaper, Edough News, run by Adel Gaid Salah.



Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
TT
20

Rubio Says US is Revoking all Visas Held by South Sudanese Passport Holders

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gestures as he addresses the audience during a statement as part of the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs at NATO's headquarters in Brussels on April 4, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States was revoking all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders, accusing the African nation's government of “taking advantage of the United States.”
“Every country must accept the return of its citizens in a timely manner when another country, including the United States, seeks to remove them,” Rubio said in a statement, adding that “South Sudan’s transitional government has failed to fully respect this principle."
Besides revoking visas, Rubio said the US would "prevent further issuance to prevent entry into the United States by South Sudanese passport holders.”
South Sudan’s political landscape is fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed opposition groups has escalated tensions, The Associated Press said.
Last week, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged regional and international leaders to prevent South Sudan from falling “over the abyss” into another civil war.
Guterres warned that the world’s newest and one of its poorest countries is facing “a security emergency” with intensifying clashes and a “political upheaval” culminating with last week’s arrest by the government of First Vice President Riek Machar.