Why Eduardo Camavinga Is the Most Exciting Teenager in World Football

Eduardo Camavinga celebrates after scoring for Rennes against Montpellier on Saturday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
Eduardo Camavinga celebrates after scoring for Rennes against Montpellier on Saturday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
TT

Why Eduardo Camavinga Is the Most Exciting Teenager in World Football

Eduardo Camavinga celebrates after scoring for Rennes against Montpellier on Saturday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
Eduardo Camavinga celebrates after scoring for Rennes against Montpellier on Saturday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images

Eduardo Camavinga handles pressure better than most. “I remember the fire as if it were yesterday,” Camavinga told Ouest-France in May. “I was at school and through the windows I saw the firefighters. I saw the damage with my own eyes, the burned house.” His family had moved from Angola and built that house themselves. Now they were watching it burn. “Things were really not going well for my family,” said Camavinga. After relocating the family to a new home, Camavinga’s father turned to his 10-year-old son and said: “Eduardo, you are the hope of the family, it is you who will raise us up.” He has not let his father down.

Many children would find such expectations difficult to bear, but Camavinga took it in his stride. “At the time it made me laugh,” he says. “I was carefree. I didn’t necessarily take it seriously.” Now, however, he takes a great deal seriously. The 17-year-old’s focused, magnetic, and domineering performances helped Rennes qualify for the Champions League and he has now been rewarded with his first call-up to the France squad.

Modern midfielders are often divided into neat categories, but defining Camavinga’s natural role is a little tricky. He can do it all. Saying a player is “versatile” usually implies that, even though their skillset is broad, they do not really impress in any particular area. Camavinga, however, is excellent in each midfield department.

He is a dynamic and mobile athlete who can play a box-to-box role. Despite his lean physique, he can play a more physical game, bullishly protecting Rennes’ back four as a firefighting sentinel. He is also graceful, precise on the ball, and blessed with the technical gifts to play as a deep-lying No 10, where he can astutely pick passes and create opportunities for teammates. On top of all that, he is quick enough to play directly and skillful enough to bamboozle defenders with his sleight of foot. When speaking about his style earlier this year, he said: “I love playing passes to my teammates, but a great tackle, visually, it’s beautiful too. Before [last] season, I’d never played No 6 but I learned to love this position. No 8, I like it too. I like to have spaces.”

His wide range of abilities have already been on show this season under Julien Stéphan, who initially recruited Camavinga for the Rennes youth system before moving up to the first team and taking the teenager with him. Rennes largely have Camavinga to thank for the four points they have accrued so far in the league. On the opening weekend, he was introduced after an hour against Lille and shifted a tight encounter towards the visitors. With Rennes a goal behind and both sides a man down, Camavinga dominated, displaying an impressive level of control for one so young. His near post-flick-on set up Damien Da Silva’s equalizer.

With Camavinga restored to the team this weekend, Rennes outplayed a sluggish looking Montpellier to win 2-1. Camavinga again led the charge and put the game beyond reach with a great goal – the standout strike of the weekend in Ligue 1. Having exchanged passes with Faitout Maouassa, he darted into the penalty area before a multitude of body-swerves, shoulder-drops, and stepovers left Montpellier center-back Pedro Mendes on the turf and Camavinga with the space to fire a low shot past keeper Jonas Omlin.

Despite that slaloming run and finish (which was similar to the winning goal he scored against Lyon last season), goalscoring remains an area where Camavinga can improve. In his 45 appearances for Rennes he has only scored twice and picked up three assists. He will push on this season, especially if he keeps playing alongside Steven N’Zonzi, who will allow him to be more adventurous. Camavinga has already become the player his team relies upon to instigate attacks, unbalance defenses early in a move, or contribute a key pass or dribble in the buildup to a chance. He is playing in a Champions League-level squad that includes a World Cup winner, Ligue 1 stalwarts and other talented youngsters yet “Iceman” – as his teammates call him – has quickly become Stéphan’s most important player.

Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, and other clubs are reportedly interested in signing Camavinga but, with Champions League football guaranteed this season, he has confirmed he will stay at Roazhon Park this summer. If he keeps developing at his current trajectory and avoids a major injury or too many dips in form, he will probably leave next summer as an 18-year-old with 100 senior games under his belt.

He already exudes maturity in both his style of play and his personality. “I like to run for my teammates,” he said earlier this year. “If I don’t work on the pitch, my mother will tell me, my father too.” There are obvious roadblocks in his path – he could lose fitness, form, confidence, or drive – but Camavinga’s potential ceiling is the highest of any teenager in world football. He has the talent to ensconce himself at the top of the European game for the next 20 years.

If Camavinga makes his international debut against Sweden or Croatia in the Nations League matches later this month, he will become the youngest player to earn a France cap in more than a century, beating Kylian Mbappé by nearly six months. Comparisons between the two players are more than apt. So much so that, after a game last season, an opposition player joked with Camavinga that they should swap shirts quickly “before you move to Real Madrid.” Such pressure might easily destabilize a young footballer, but Camavinga remains typically focused. His rise so far? As he said himself: “It’s a good start.”

(The Guardian)



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.