India Arrests 9 Qaeda Militants Planning Attack in New Delhi

An Indian Army soldier displays a seized rifle during a news conference in Srinagar, August 2, 2019. REUTERS/Danish Ismail
An Indian Army soldier displays a seized rifle during a news conference in Srinagar, August 2, 2019. REUTERS/Danish Ismail
TT
20

India Arrests 9 Qaeda Militants Planning Attack in New Delhi

An Indian Army soldier displays a seized rifle during a news conference in Srinagar, August 2, 2019. REUTERS/Danish Ismail
An Indian Army soldier displays a seized rifle during a news conference in Srinagar, August 2, 2019. REUTERS/Danish Ismail

India's National Investigation Agency (NIA) said on Saturday it has arrested nine al-Qaeda militants who were planning attacks in several locations including the capital New Delhi.

"The group was planning to undertake terrorist attacks at vital installations in India with an aim to kill innocent people and strike terror in their minds," the country's main counter-terrorism arm said in a statement.

Those arrested "were motivated to undertake attacks at multiple places" including the capital region, Reuters reported.

Six of the militants were arrested in the eastern state of West Bengal and while three in the southern state of Kerala, the NIA said, adding the individuals were "associated with Pakistan sponsored module of al Qaeda".

The militants will be produced in court for police custody and further investigation.

India has stepped up an offensive against militants in Kashmir and elsewhere. Last year, Indian forces killed the leader of an al Qaeda-affiliated militant group.

In the latest raids, the NIA seized sharp weapons, domestically made firearms and locally fabricated body armor.



Military Confrontation Seems Inevitable If No New Iran Nuclear Deal, France Says

 France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot speaks during the Forum d'affaires Franco-Chinois in Shanghai on March 28, 2025. (AFP)
France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot speaks during the Forum d'affaires Franco-Chinois in Shanghai on March 28, 2025. (AFP)
TT
20

Military Confrontation Seems Inevitable If No New Iran Nuclear Deal, France Says

 France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot speaks during the Forum d'affaires Franco-Chinois in Shanghai on March 28, 2025. (AFP)
France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot speaks during the Forum d'affaires Franco-Chinois in Shanghai on March 28, 2025. (AFP)

The window to reach a new deal to curb Iran's nuclear program is narrow and if it is not achieved then a military confrontation seems "almost inevitable", French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on Wednesday.

"We only have a few months until the expiration of this (2015) accord," he told a parliamentary hearing. "In case of failure, a military confrontation would seem to be almost inevitable."

Barrot added that new European Union sanctions on Tehran linked to the detention of foreign citizens in Iran would also be approved in the coming weeks.