From Rome to Rio: Where Fans Are Back in Stadiums and Where They Are Barred

 Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
TT

From Rome to Rio: Where Fans Are Back in Stadiums and Where They Are Barred

 Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images

France

The government on Wednesday announced a reduction in the number of fans allowed in grounds. Initially 5,000 had been permitted but rising Covid cases (from roughly 500 daily to more than 10,000) prompted a change to a maximum of 1,000. Clubs including Monaco, Lille and Bordeaux will allow 1,000 spectators this weekend, whereas Nice will play behind closed doors for the foreseeable future at their own volition; PSG said they too would not allow fans but reports have indicated their president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, will have the final say. Marseille, a coronavirus hotspot, had been given a government order to play behind closed doors but a local government directive has cleared them to have 1,000 fans at Saturday’s game against Metz.

Football in front of fans has got off to a wobbly start to say the least. Ligue 1 was the biggest league in Europe to curtail last season and the first match of the new campaign was beset by problems, with Saint-Étienne’s trip to Marseille postponed owing to a rash of positive cases among the hosts’ squad. At the time, the league’s policy was that matches could not be played if more than three players tested positive but that has been adjusted to allow games if 20 out of 30 players in a squad tested negative. Eric Devin

Germany

Three days before the start of the season, Bundesliga clubs were given the go-ahead to welcome back crowds to a maximum of 20% of stadium capacity. This was by no means a hard and fast rule – and it couldn’t be, with clubs bound by the health and safety rules set by their federal state. So Borussia Dortmund had 9,300 – less than an eighth of capacity – for their season opener against Borussia Mönchengladbach on Saturday, whereas state authorities decided late on to bar spectators from matches at Bayern Munich and Köln in response to rising rates of infection.

A survey by the broadcaster ARD this week in which 63% of those polled – not all football fans – were in favor of the return of fans suggested a shift in the national mood, but many supporters are lukewarm. Some ultras have declined to go back and Dynamo Dresden’s ultras this week said they would not create an “active atmosphere” or do choreographies while restrictions remained. Gladbach have tickets unsold for their 10,000-capacity weekend match with Union Berlin, as distancing measures leave friends and family members separated. The current six-week run with fans is a trial period, and clearly there are plenty of issues to iron out. Andy Brassell

Italy

Serie A teams were allowed 1,000 fans on the opening weekend, though the decision came so late that not all managed it. The sports minister, Vincenzo Spadafora, confirmed the regulations on Saturday – the day the season began.

He had announced one day earlier that the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome would be allowed that number for its semi-finals and final – marking a new policy for open-air sporting competitions. Events quickly overtook him, as the regional government in Emilia-Romagna interpreted this as meaning it could allow fans into football games that same weekend at Parma and Sassuolo. Spadafora had only intended for the initial decision to cover one-off events rather than ongoing ones such as a league season but ultimately extended the rule to cover all of Serie A.

The government hopes to increase the number of fans in stadiums soon, and the deputy health minister, Pierpaolo Sileri, has suggested teams may be allowed something close to one-third of capacity. The government hopes to increase the number of fans in stadiums soon. Regional leaders were consulted on Thursday and a proposal is being carried forward to allow for Serie A stadiums to be filled to 25% of their capacity, pending scrutiny from the government’s scientific committee. Nicky Bandini

At the back end of last season La Liga had begun preparing a protocol for fans to return to stadiums with the hope of 30% occupation in the first couple of months of the new season, but that has been put on hold indefinitely. With Covid numbers rising, Madrid subjected to heavy restrictions and likely to face another lockdown, and other regions seeing cases rise, few are even contemplating the return of supporters. It hasn’t even been much of a subject of debate, still less something that has been pushed. Indeed, rather than being celebrated, Sevilla playing the European Super Cup in front of fans this week was greeted with caution and concern.

Outside the first and second division, in what is usually called “amateur” football (even though it is not), clubs are set to be allowed to grant access to small numbers of fans (fewer than 1,000) depending on the health authorities in each province, although those leagues do not start until October and the plans are yet to be confirmed. In the top two divisions, by contrast, no one anticipates opening doors before Christmas. Sid Lowe

Selected others

In Budapest last weekend 7,000 people watched Ferencvaros thump Paksi 5-0 at the Groupama Arena. Hungarian football has been open to fans since the beginning of June and the capital’s other main stadium, the Puskas Arena, hosted the European Super Cup on Thursday with 20,000 fans in situ. Hungary has seen a dramatic growth in coronavirus cases since August. Hungarian rules require three out of four seats in a given stadia to be left empty and for every other row to be left clear.

In the Netherlands, fans have been allowed back into grounds as well but rules require that they not only comply with social distancing but refrain from chanting. In Denmark, crowds have also returned but in very small numbers: 240 watched Copenhagen’s home defeat by Brøndby last weekend.

On the other side of the world, Brazilian authorities this week announced their intention to fill their stadiums to a third of capacity, meaning up to 25,000 people could attend the Maracanã. There is no set date for fans’ return, however, with Brazil still in the middle of one of the world’s worst outbreaks of Covid-19. Paul MacInnes



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."