Morocco PM Says Western Sahara Wall at Center of Dispute Completed

The UN-patrolled ceasefire line in Western Sahara runs deep inside the sparsely populated desert interior. (AFP)
The UN-patrolled ceasefire line in Western Sahara runs deep inside the sparsely populated desert interior. (AFP)
TT
20

Morocco PM Says Western Sahara Wall at Center of Dispute Completed

The UN-patrolled ceasefire line in Western Sahara runs deep inside the sparsely populated desert interior. (AFP)
The UN-patrolled ceasefire line in Western Sahara runs deep inside the sparsely populated desert interior. (AFP)

Morocco has finished building a sand barrier in a UN-monitored buffer zone in Western Sahara, Prime Minister Saad Eddine El Otmani told Reuters on Tuesday, after the Polisario Front movement withdrew from a ceasefire.

The Moroccan army entered the buffer zone on Friday to open a road linking Western Sahara with Mauritania which had been blocked by Polisario supporters and fighters, leading the group to quit the 29-year-old truce agreement.

Speaking in an interview with Reuters, El Otmani reiterated that Morocco was sticking to the ceasefire and said there had been only "skirmishes and sporadic fighting" in recent days as concerns grew that a long-frozen conflict could reignite.

The Polisario says it has repeatedly bombarded Moroccan positions on the sand wall that Rabat built in the 1980s along much of the frontier running for hundreds of miles through the desert.

The United Nations mission "continues to receive reports of shots being fired during the night at various locations along the berm", UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Tuesday.

El Otmani said the wall had now been extended to the Mauritanian border "with the goal of securing once and for all civilian and commercial traffic in Guerguerat between Morocco and Mauritania".

The Guerguerat crossing is in a demilitarized buffer zone under UN observation set up as part of the 1991 ceasefire agreement.

Morocco described the blocking of the road by Polisario supporters, backed by armed fighters, as a breach of the ceasefire. The Polisario said the Moroccan army's entry into the buffer zone had fatally undermined the ceasefire.

El Otmani said the Moroccan army had orders to respond to attacks. "Up to now, there is nothing to worry about along the security wall and in the Moroccan Sahara in general," he said.

The Polisario front seeks Western Sahara's independence from Morocco, which has held the vast desert region since Spain quit in 1975 and regards it as an integral part of its own land.

Rabat has said the most it can offer as a political solution to the dispute is autonomy. The Polisario reject this and say they want a referendum, with independence for Western Sahara as one of the options.



Arab Parliament Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque

Arab Parliament
Arab Parliament
TT
20

Arab Parliament Condemns Israeli Minister's Storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque

Arab Parliament
Arab Parliament

Arab Parliament Speaker Mohammed Ahmad al-Yamahi strongly condemned the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by the Israeli minister of national security, describing the act as an incitement and a provocation to the feelings of millions of Muslims around the world, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

Al-Yamah added that the Israeli minister’s acts clearly disregard the international community, international law, and the internationally legitimate resolutions.

In a statement, al-Yamahi emphasized that any attempts to alter the historical and legal status quo on Jerusalem’s holy sites are rejected and invalid, and that such actions constitute a flagrant violation of international law and relevant United Nations resolutions and contribute to increasing escalation, tension, and instability in the region.