Iran Says AI, Satellite-controlled Gun Killed Top Nuclear Scientist

In this picture released by the Iranian Defense Ministry and taken on Nov. 28, 2020, caretakers carry the flag-draped coffin of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh during a funeral ceremony in Mashhad, Iran. (AP)
In this picture released by the Iranian Defense Ministry and taken on Nov. 28, 2020, caretakers carry the flag-draped coffin of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh during a funeral ceremony in Mashhad, Iran. (AP)
TT
20

Iran Says AI, Satellite-controlled Gun Killed Top Nuclear Scientist

In this picture released by the Iranian Defense Ministry and taken on Nov. 28, 2020, caretakers carry the flag-draped coffin of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh during a funeral ceremony in Mashhad, Iran. (AP)
In this picture released by the Iranian Defense Ministry and taken on Nov. 28, 2020, caretakers carry the flag-draped coffin of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh during a funeral ceremony in Mashhad, Iran. (AP)

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) revealed that artificial intelligence and satellite-controlled gun was used to kill nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.

IRGC Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said that 13 bullets were fired and one of them targeted Fakhrizadeh's back, injuring his spinal cord.

The top scientist's convoy was attacked on November 27 while traveling through Damavand province, east of Tehran.

Speaking during the National Student Day ceremony at the University of Tehran, Fadavi explained that 11 IRGC servicemen were accompanying the late scientist, adding that the Nissan car exploded at the scene aiming to eliminate the protection.

No hitman was present at the scene, he noted, saying a machine gun equipped with a “satellite-controlled smart system” and installed on a pickup fired the 13 shots, while all the other bullets were fired by the security guards.

The system controlling the machine gun zoomed in on Fakhrizadeh's face, while the head of the security team had been shot after shielding Fakhrizadeh. His wife, who was only "25 centimeters away", was unharmed.

Asked about Iran’s response to the assassination of General Qassem Soleimani in early January, the deputy chief said, “We will choose how to take revenge.”

He indicated that the country has been at war with the US since 1986, saying that Washington was unable to achieve any victory ever since.

Fadavi noted that the US wanted to deter Iran, however, its responses were weak and it never assumed responsibility for any attack, adding that the US President was the first to do so.

In response to a question on IRGC's suggestions to avenge Soleimani's death which were all rejected by the government, Fadavi asserted that the Corps does not follow the cabinet's policies, but rather the orders of the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.

Iran accuses the Israeli Mossad and the exiled Mujahedin Khalq of carrying out a complicated operation using a “completely new” assassination method to kill the nuclear scientist.



Arrests Made in Türkiye over Calls for Shopping Boycott to Support Istanbul's Imprisoned Mayor

Fine art university students shout slogans as they march past an Expresso Lab coffee bar during a peaceful protest after Istanbul's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu was arrested and sent to prison, in Istanbul, Türkiye, Thursday, March 27, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
Fine art university students shout slogans as they march past an Expresso Lab coffee bar during a peaceful protest after Istanbul's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu was arrested and sent to prison, in Istanbul, Türkiye, Thursday, March 27, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
TT
20

Arrests Made in Türkiye over Calls for Shopping Boycott to Support Istanbul's Imprisoned Mayor

Fine art university students shout slogans as they march past an Expresso Lab coffee bar during a peaceful protest after Istanbul's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu was arrested and sent to prison, in Istanbul, Türkiye, Thursday, March 27, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
Fine art university students shout slogans as they march past an Expresso Lab coffee bar during a peaceful protest after Istanbul's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu was arrested and sent to prison, in Istanbul, Türkiye, Thursday, March 27, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

Turkish police detained 11 people Thursday for supporting a shopping boycott as part of protests against the imprisonment of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s main rival, state-run media reported.

The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants for 16 suspects in an investigation into “hatred and discrimination” and “inciting hatred and hostility” among the public, the Anadolu news agency said.

Among the detained was actor Cem Yigit Uzumoglu, who played Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror in the Netflix docuseries “Rise of Empires: Ottoman,” the Actors’ Union said.

The suspects were held over social media posts calling on people to not to spend money on Wednesday and for businesses to shut their doors in solidarity during the daylong boycott, The AP news reported.

Large-scale anti-government protests began last month after the arrest of Istanbul's opposition Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu on corruption charges that critics say are politically motivated. The government insists the judiciary is independent and free of political interference.

Istanbul prosecutors on Tuesday launched a criminal investigation into earlier boycott calls by Imamoglu’s party targeting companies it alleges support the government. In particular, the opposition identified media firms that did not air images of protests in which hundreds of thousands of people flooded the streets to call for Imamoglu’s release and an end to democratic backsliding.

The leader of Imamoglu’s Republican People’s Party, or CHP, issued a warning after authorities blocked social media accounts supporting Wednesday's boycott.

“We know that you have closed hundreds of pages to date,” Ozgur Ozel wrote on X. “If you become a tool for anti-democratic practices today, if you implement access ban demands, think carefully about what this nation will do to you!”

While in prison, Imamoglu has been confirmed as the CHP's presidential candidate. The next election is currently scheduled for 2028 but is likely to take place earlier.

According to the independent ANKA News Agency, some 2,000 people have been detained since Imamoglu was arrested on March 19, with 316 jailed pending trial. Most face charges relating to participating in protests.

Lawyers for imprisoned protesters on Wednesday said many had suffered mistreatment. The government has not responded to the allegations but on Thursday the police issued a statement denying claims that women had been sexually assaulted in custody as “vile slanders.”