Yemeni Rights Coalition Reports 73 Houthi Violations of Human Rights in 7 Weeks

Yemeni Rights Coalition Reports 73 Houthi Violations of Human Rights in 7 Weeks
TT
20

Yemeni Rights Coalition Reports 73 Houthi Violations of Human Rights in 7 Weeks

Yemeni Rights Coalition Reports 73 Houthi Violations of Human Rights in 7 Weeks

Yemen's "Rasd Coalition" for Monitoring Human Rights Violations (YCMHRV) said that the Houthi insurgents committed 73 violations against civilians in Sallah, Al Qahera, and Al Modafer districts in the city of Taiz, from November 1 to December 19.

The report shed light on indiscriminate shelling launched by the Houthi militia on densely populated areas that killed 11 civilians, including 6 children, and wounded 37 others, 21 of whom were children, in addition to four females.

YCMHRV revealed that the children who were victims of the Houthi shelling represent 55 percent of total casualties and 57 percent of total injuries. According to Rasd, this marks a dangerous indicator of the flagrant violations against children in Taiz by Houthis.

The shelling caused collateral damage to 11 homes, 5 stores, and three vehicles, according to the report.

YCMHRV ‘s Executive Director Mutahir Al-Butheji told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that the report entitled “Non-stop Shelling” is a human rights report that monitors flagrant violations committed by Houthis against civilians in Taiz.

Butheji said that releasing the report comes on the basis of investigative monitoring made by the alliance's team in Taiz in five populated areas targeted by the militia from their positions.

He reiterated that these are “imprescriptible crimes, stressing that the perpetrators will sooner or later be prosecuted and brought to justice.”



UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
TT
20

UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk on Thursday said he was appalled by reports of widespread extrajudicial killings of civilians in Khartoum following its recapture by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) on 26 March.

“I am utterly appalled by the credible reports of numerous incidents of summary executions of civilians in several areas of Khartoum, on apparent suspicions that they were collaborating with the Rapid Support Forces,” said Turk.

He then urged the commanders of the Sudanese Armed Forces “to take immediate measures to put an end to arbitrary deprivation of life.”

The UN Commissioner said his Office has reviewed multiple horrific videos posted on social media since 26 March, all of them apparently filmed in southern and eastern Khartoum.

“They show armed men – some in uniform and others in civilian clothes – executing civilians in cold blood, often in public settings. In some videos, perpetrators state that they are punishing supporters of RSF,” he said.

The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been battling the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, since April 2023.

Last week the army said it had retaken full control of Khartoum after weeks of attacks on the capital by the paramilitaries, though Daglo said his forces had only “repositioned.”

On Thursday, Sudan's paramilitary said they downed an Antonov military plane, the fourth this month, belonging to the Sudanese army near Al Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur State.

The RSF published a video that they said showed the plane wreckage. It said in a statement that the plane dropped “dozens of barrel bombs on innocent civilians in Al Fasher and other Sudanese cities.”

Meanwhile, an activist group said that the RSF killed at least 85 people in one week during attacks south of the capital Khartoum.

“For the seventh consecutive day, the Janjaweed militias continue their violent attacks on villages... west of Jebel Awliya, resulting in the deaths of more than 85 people and the injury of dozens,” said the Sudanese resistance committee, referring to the RSF by the name of its precursor.

Bashir’s Deputy Released

Also on Thursday, Sudanese authorities released former First Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh and Youssif Abdel Fattah, a former minister.

Saleh and Abdel Fattah are among some 30 officials who are standing trial for their involvement in the June 30, 1989 coup, that brought former Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir to power.

SAF leader Abdel Fattah al Burhan issued the decision based on a judicial ruling that stated the two men need to receive treatment due to deteriorating health conditions.