Algeria, Mauritania Coordinate Efforts on Cross-Border Terrorism

Algerian Army Chief of Staff Said Chengriha
Algerian Army Chief of Staff Said Chengriha
TT

Algeria, Mauritania Coordinate Efforts on Cross-Border Terrorism

Algerian Army Chief of Staff Said Chengriha
Algerian Army Chief of Staff Said Chengriha

Algerian Army Chief of Staff Said Chengriha has called on his Mauritanian counterpart, Major General Mohamed Bamba Meguett, to coordinate efforts in facing regional security challenges and strengthening cooperation on the border of the countries of the Sahel region.

Terrorism, smuggling, and the arms trade have been active in the Sahel countries since the outbreak of the Libyan crisis in 2011.

Chengriha received the Mauritanian Chief of Staff who is in Algeria for the first time on a three-day visit, according to a statement issued by the Algerian Defense Ministry.

Chengriha said that boosting military cooperation is crucial to meet security challenges. He noted that both military establishments should consider means to enable the armies to carry their duties in such a situation fraught with dangers and threats.

It is feasible to make greater use of the available security cooperation mechanisms, especially the Joint Military Staff Committee, which will help in exchanging information and coordinating actions, according to the Commander.

He underlined his country’s desire to boost the bilateral military relations to face the various security challenges that threaten the Maghreb and Sahel regions.

Chengriha indicated that Meguett's visit is an opportunity to enhance the cooperation between both armies in areas of common interest, and will allow the development of bilateral relations.

The Mauritanian official discussed with Algerian military and security commanders the developments in the Guerguerat crossing, especially clashes between Moroccan forces and Polisario Front soldiers.

They also addressed intelligence collaboration against extremism, human trafficking, as well as goods, drugs and weapons smuggling across the border.

The Joint Military Staff Committee was established in 2009 in Tamanrasset, southern Algeria.

It includes the chiefs of staff of the armies of Mali, Mauritania, Niger, and Algeria. It was launched to confront terrorism threats from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, and its affiliates.

The committee doesn’t pursue terrorist groups in the desert, which the four Saharan governments are unable to monitor.

Its weakness was evident when France took the lead in launching a war on terrorism in northern Mali in early 2013, instead of the armies of the four countries.

Security observers believe that there is no point for the committee to meet, given its inaction.

Security affairs experts agree that the Joint Committee is a doomed project, claiming that the four leaders promoted the initiative while they were not prepared to face the serious security challenges of militias.

When it was first launched, the project was expected to carry out military operations in extremist strongholds. However, that wasn’t the case.

Observers also say that the ongoing war in Mali between the local government and extremists has finally put an end to this project.

A spokesman for the Algerian Foreign Ministry told Asharq Al-Awsat earlier that the Joint Staff Committee was created to exchange information and coordinate security efforts, and the aim was never to launch military operations.

He also denied that the project was terminated after the French military intervention, stressing that it is still effective.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.