Yemen Urges International Community to Act on 'Safer' Crisis, Avert Disaster

 Yemeni FM Ahmed Awadh bin Mubarak received on Thursday in the temporary capital Aden the Deputy Head of the UN's Mission to support Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) Daniela Kroslak (saba news agency)
Yemeni FM Ahmed Awadh bin Mubarak received on Thursday in the temporary capital Aden the Deputy Head of the UN's Mission to support Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) Daniela Kroslak (saba news agency)
TT

Yemen Urges International Community to Act on 'Safer' Crisis, Avert Disaster

 Yemeni FM Ahmed Awadh bin Mubarak received on Thursday in the temporary capital Aden the Deputy Head of the UN's Mission to support Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) Daniela Kroslak (saba news agency)
Yemeni FM Ahmed Awadh bin Mubarak received on Thursday in the temporary capital Aden the Deputy Head of the UN's Mission to support Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) Daniela Kroslak (saba news agency)

The Yemeni government renewed Thursday its calls on the international community to force the Houthi militias to grant access for the technical UN team tasked with examining the decaying Safer oil tanker anchored off the coast of Yemen since 2015.

The Yemeni Foreign Ministry issued a statement over the issue following a UN report warning that the Houthi group's delay in granting security guarantees for the UN experts could lead to a major leakage, causing a major environmental and economic catastrophe.

“It is not surprising that Houthis backed down from allowing international engineers access to a dangerously decaying Yemeni oil tanker to repair it and save the Red Sea marine life,” the Yemeni Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

“The Yemeni government had repeatedly warned of the terrorist Houthi militia’s delay tactics and the use of the tanker - laden with more than one million barrels of crude and seen as a time bomb - as a bargaining tool despite the high risks of a leakage or an explosion that will leave very devastating and far-reaching impacts on the Red Sea marine life, the livelihoods of fishermen and more impacts hitting beyond Yemen."

The Houthis have promised UN experts access to the vessel and backed down several times including in July 2020.

Earlier on Tuesday, Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General Stéphane Dujarric said that Houthi officials have advised the UN to pause certain preparations pending the outcome of a "review" of their formal approval of the mission to deploy.

In this context, the timeline of deployment of the UN technical mission remains uncertain and dependent on the continued facilitation of all stakeholders involved, he said.

Meanwhile, Yemeni Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Dr. Ahmed Awadh bin Mubarak received on Thursday in the temporary capital Aden the Deputy Head of the UN's Mission to support Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA) Daniela Kroslak.

The meeting discussed the Houthi group blocking of Hodeidah Agreement and its provocative and irresponsible actions on the UNMHA.

Bin Mubarak blamed the Houthis for spoiling the agreement, adding:" We're responsible for Hodeidah and all Yemeni cities and the Yemeni people, we want to see tangible results on the ground, not obstacles that impede the implementation".

Yemen’s Saba news agency said that Bin Mubarak asked Kroslak to report about the spoilers of the agreement.

"We are well aware that the insurgent militia prevents your movement to implement the agreement but we want you to speak out and name the spoilers", he stressed.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.