KSA: Tightening Precautionary Measures Portends Return to Curfew

General view of deserted streets, during the 24 hours lockdown to counter the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Ahmed Yosri
General view of deserted streets, during the 24 hours lockdown to counter the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Ahmed Yosri
TT

KSA: Tightening Precautionary Measures Portends Return to Curfew

General view of deserted streets, during the 24 hours lockdown to counter the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Ahmed Yosri
General view of deserted streets, during the 24 hours lockdown to counter the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Ahmed Yosri

Life began to return to normal in Saudi Arabia as of June 2020, following a three-month lockdown that aimed to curb the spread of the coronavirus, but this return lasted no more than seven months, as the rate of infections increased, foretelling a new confinement scenario.

Two weeks after the mid-term school vacation in January, the indicators of Covid-19 infections began to register a significant increase, pushing the Ministry of Health to call for committing to precautionary measures.

On social media platforms, many began to sense the danger of the virus, and even expect the lockdown to be imposed with the rise of infections.

Several measures taken by the Saudi authorities this week reminded of the beginning of the outbreak of the virus, when travel to and from several countries was suspended temporarily.

Earlier this week, the Kingdom banned the entry of travelers from 20 countries to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Exceptions to the ban, which began on Wednesday, included diplomats, and medical staff and their families.

In addition, Saudi authorities prohibited the holding of events and parties, including weddings, corporate meetings and banquets for an extendable period of 30 days.

The difference between today and last year, when the virus began to hit the country, is the experience that created knowledge and awareness in society, so that repercussions could be anticipated and thus prevented.

This was reflected in various sectors, as many commercial activities and restaurants suspended direct services out of a sense of responsibility, private companies resorted to remote work without an official decision that compels them to do so, while markets and stores required their customers to have the dedicated Tawakkalna application on their phones.



Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
TT

Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)

Saudi Arabia said it would not allow the Hajj to be used for any activity that strays from its religious purpose, as more than 1.5 million pilgrims arrived from abroad by Friday afternoon.

He made his statement during a press conference by Hajj security commanders at the Unified Security Operations Center (911) in the Makkah region.

Officials outlined security, traffic, and organizational plans for this year’s holy pilgrimage, along with related instructions and guidelines.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami, director of Public Security, said the Hajj security system was fully ready to carry out its duties.

“Our goal is for pilgrims to reach their destination, perform their rituals, and return home safely,” he stressed.

Al-Bassami said crowd management plans focused on regulating pilgrim flows and minimizing overlap between routes. Technology, he said, was playing a key role alongside security personnel on the ground.

He said authorities were prepared for various scenarios based on risk assessments, following extensive drills and field exercises to test the readiness of all security agencies.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Omari, commander of the Special Emergency Forces at the Presidency of State Security, described the security plans as “integrated, proactive and flexible.” He said security forces were deployed in the central area and the holy sites to protect pilgrims.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Hammoud Al-Faraj, director general of Civil Defense, said preparations for the Hajj season were complete.

“We trained all bodies involved in serving pilgrims on self-protection,” he said, adding that male and female volunteers were working alongside Civil Defense personnel across all tasks and operations.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Saleh Al-Murabba, commander of the Passports Forces for Hajj, said the “Makkah Route” initiative accounted for 30% of arriving pilgrims. He said 1,518,153 pilgrims had arrived from outside Saudi Arabia by Friday afternoon.


Saudi, Pakistani Interior Ministers Discuss Security Cooperation

Saudi Minister of Interior Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
TT

Saudi, Pakistani Interior Ministers Discuss Security Cooperation

Saudi Minister of Interior Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Interior Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz received on Friday a telephone call from his Pakistani counterpart Mohsin Naqvi for talks on issues of common interest.

They also reviewed aspects of security cooperation and coordination.


Saudi Leadership Congratulates Yemen on Unity Day

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Congratulates Yemen on Unity Day

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent on Friday a cable of congratulations to Chairman of Yemen's Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Mohammed Al-Alimi on the occasion of his country's Unity Day.

King Salman wished the president continued good health, and the government and people of Yemen further security and stability.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, sent Al-Alimi a similar cable on the occasion.