Houthis Kidnap Medics for Refusing to Treat Wounded Fighters at Battlefronts

Houthi fighters in Yemen's capital Sanaa on December 9, 2020. (AFP)
Houthi fighters in Yemen's capital Sanaa on December 9, 2020. (AFP)
TT

Houthis Kidnap Medics for Refusing to Treat Wounded Fighters at Battlefronts

Houthi fighters in Yemen's capital Sanaa on December 9, 2020. (AFP)
Houthi fighters in Yemen's capital Sanaa on December 9, 2020. (AFP)

Houthi militias in Yemen are back to kidnapping health workers, Sanaa-based medics told Asharq Al-Awsat. The abduction campaign was likely restarted after physicians refused to help the Iran-backed group treat its injured fighters at frontlines.

Public hospitals, like Al Thawra General Hospital, are being targeted for the capture of their doctors and workers, the sources reported.

Taha Al-Mutawakil, the health minister of the Houthi self-styled government, had ordered a number of hospitals to put together teams of combat medics that would deploy to battlefronts and provide emergency medical treatment to wounded soldiers.

The directive, however, was snubbed by many in the health sector. Their rejection forced Houthis to resort to kidnapping health staffers, sources noted.

In the last few days, more than 12 doctors and 17 healthcare givers have been abducted from hospitals in Sanaa, they revealed.

What is more is that Houthi authorities fired a number of administrative officials in the health sector and replaced them with their loyalists.

After Al-Mutawakil’s call for enlisting emergency medics, registration was open for deployment to battlefronts in the governorates of Marib, Al-Jawf, Dhale and Hajjah.

Disregarding the strains weighing down on the local health sector, which has been weakened by years of wars, Houthis are exploiting resources at hospitals, kidnapping physicians and stealing medical aid sent by international relief organizations.

“At a time when the coronavirus is killing dozens, if not hundreds, of Yemenis living under militia rule, Houthis are pushing for more exploiting of health institutions and workers to serve their war effort,” a Sanaa-based health worker, who requested anonymity, complained to Asharq Al-Awsat.

Last week, the UN warned of the “imminent collapse of the health situation in Yemen”.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Twitter: “20.1 million people in Yemen are in need of medical assistance.”

It added that 51 per cent of the country's health facilities were fully functioning, noting that “67 out of 333 districts do not have doctors.”



Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 


Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.