Houthis Evict Academics from University Housing in Sanaa

Houthi gunmen ride a military vehicle in Sanaa. AFP
Houthi gunmen ride a military vehicle in Sanaa. AFP
TT
20

Houthis Evict Academics from University Housing in Sanaa

Houthi gunmen ride a military vehicle in Sanaa. AFP
Houthi gunmen ride a military vehicle in Sanaa. AFP

Iran-backed Houthi militias have evicted several academics from on-campus accommodations at universities in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, sources have said.

“Last week, Houthis arbitrarily removed 20 scholars along with their families and children from their assigned housing units at university campuses,” Sanaa-based sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“Houthis are looking to bring their loyalists to replace the expelled academics,” they warned, recounting how armed vehicles had stormed faculty residences a few days ago.

Despite growing public discontent, the group has stepped up its clearance campaign targeting academics and their families across Sanaa universities.

“A four-day notice was handed out to those compelled to leave,” sources revealed, adding that Houthis threatened to use force if the academics refused to comply with the eviction deadline.

Houthis have included the widows and orphans of dead professors in their evictions.

At a time when a crippling economic crisis has taken over the lives of many Yemenis, university housing is proving indispensable to the disadvantaged dependents of deceased academics trying to keep a roof over their heads.

“Academics living on campus have been doing so without receiving any salaries,” sources noted, stressing that those thrown out of university housing will not be able to pay rent anywhere.

Reports dating back to early March reveal that Houthis had ruthlessly dislodged 40 academics and their families in a matter of days.

So far, Houthis have carried out the expulsion of around 150 academics and their families from university accommodations across Sanaa, sources revealed.

Since overrunning Sanaa in 2014, Houthis have committed a series of heinous abuses and crimes against higher education institutions in the capital and other areas they control.

Academics, students, and administrative staff in both public and private universities have been targeted by Houthis.



UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
TT
20

UN Appalled by Extrajudicial Killings in Khartoum

A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 
A Sudanese army soldier gestures from the back of a vehicle as it drives past damaged cars lying along a street in Khartoum on Thursday (AFP photo) 

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk on Thursday said he was appalled by reports of widespread extrajudicial killings of civilians in Khartoum following its recapture by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) on 26 March.

“I am utterly appalled by the credible reports of numerous incidents of summary executions of civilians in several areas of Khartoum, on apparent suspicions that they were collaborating with the Rapid Support Forces,” said Turk.

He then urged the commanders of the Sudanese Armed Forces “to take immediate measures to put an end to arbitrary deprivation of life.”

The UN Commissioner said his Office has reviewed multiple horrific videos posted on social media since 26 March, all of them apparently filmed in southern and eastern Khartoum.

“They show armed men – some in uniform and others in civilian clothes – executing civilians in cold blood, often in public settings. In some videos, perpetrators state that they are punishing supporters of RSF,” he said.

The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been battling the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, since April 2023.

Last week the army said it had retaken full control of Khartoum after weeks of attacks on the capital by the paramilitaries, though Daglo said his forces had only “repositioned.”

On Thursday, Sudan's paramilitary said they downed an Antonov military plane, the fourth this month, belonging to the Sudanese army near Al Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur State.

The RSF published a video that they said showed the plane wreckage. It said in a statement that the plane dropped “dozens of barrel bombs on innocent civilians in Al Fasher and other Sudanese cities.”

Meanwhile, an activist group said that the RSF killed at least 85 people in one week during attacks south of the capital Khartoum.

“For the seventh consecutive day, the Janjaweed militias continue their violent attacks on villages... west of Jebel Awliya, resulting in the deaths of more than 85 people and the injury of dozens,” said the Sudanese resistance committee, referring to the RSF by the name of its precursor.

Bashir’s Deputy Released

Also on Thursday, Sudanese authorities released former First Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh and Youssif Abdel Fattah, a former minister.

Saleh and Abdel Fattah are among some 30 officials who are standing trial for their involvement in the June 30, 1989 coup, that brought former Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir to power.

SAF leader Abdel Fattah al Burhan issued the decision based on a judicial ruling that stated the two men need to receive treatment due to deteriorating health conditions.