One Person Killed in Shooting at Airport in Canadian City of Vancouver

A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)
A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)
TT
20

One Person Killed in Shooting at Airport in Canadian City of Vancouver

A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)
A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer after a shooting outside Vancouver International Airport yesterday. (AP pic)

One person was killed in a shooting on Sunday at the main terminal at the international airport in the Canadian city of Vancouver, authorities said.

Vancouver International Airport said earlier in a post on Twitter that it was working with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and responding to reports of a police incident outside the airport's main terminal.

It later said on Twitter the situation had been contained.

"A man was shot and killed this afternoon near the domestic departure terminal," the police Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said on Twitter.

It did not provide more details but media reported that police were looking for one or more suspects in connection with the shooting.

Paramedics at the airport responded and two ground units were dispatched, according to CBC News.

The airport said that it was "open and safe for airport workers and those who needed to travel" but recommended that passengers check with their airline on their flight status.

"Our thoughts are with those impacted by today's incident", the airport said in a statement.



Rubio Arrives for NATO Talks as Allies Wait to Learn of US Plans for a Likely Drawdown in Europe

US' Secretary of State Marco Rubio steps off the plane as they arrive for a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels on April 3, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US' Secretary of State Marco Rubio steps off the plane as they arrive for a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels on April 3, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
TT
20

Rubio Arrives for NATO Talks as Allies Wait to Learn of US Plans for a Likely Drawdown in Europe

US' Secretary of State Marco Rubio steps off the plane as they arrive for a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels on April 3, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)
US' Secretary of State Marco Rubio steps off the plane as they arrive for a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels on April 3, 2025. (Photo by Jacquelyn Martin / POOL / AFP)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the Trump administration’s new envoy to NATO arrived Thursday in Brussels, where the alliance’s top diplomats are hoping they’ll shed light on US security plans in Europe.

European allies and Canada are deeply concerned by President Donald Trump’s readiness to draw closer to Russian leader Vladimir Putin, who sees NATO as a threat, as the US works to broker a ceasefire in Ukraine, The Associated Press said.

Recent White House comments and insults directed at NATO allies Canada and Denmark — as well as the military alliance itself — have raised alarm and confusion, especially with new US tariffs targeting US friends and foes alike.

Since Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth warned last month that US security priorities lie elsewhere — in Asia and on the US's own borders — the Europeans have waited to learn how big a military drawdown in Europe could be and how fast it may happen.

In Europe and Canada, governments are working on “burden shifting” plans to take over more of the load, while trying to ensure that no security vacuum is created if US troops and equipment are withdrawn from the continent.

These allies are keen to hear from Rubio what the Trump administration’s intentions are and hope to secure some kind of roadmap that lays out what will happen next and when, so they can synchronize planning and use European forces to plug any gaps.

In a statement, newly confirmed US ambassador to NATO Matt Whitaker said that “under President Trump’s leadership, NATO will be stronger and more effective than ever before, and I believe that a robust NATO can continue to serve as a bedrock of peace and prosperity.”

But he added: “NATO’s vitality rests on every ally doing their fair share.”

Whitaker affirmed the US commitment to NATO’s collective security guarantee, which says that an attack on any ally must be considered an attack on them all, but that his brief would also be to encourage Europe to lead on “peace, security, and the rebuilding of Ukraine.”

The statement said allies should demonstrate that NATO takes seriously threats from China.