Wave of Assassinations in Iraq May Force Postponement of Elections

Mourners chant slogans as they march during a funerary procession for renowned anti-government activist Ehab al-Wazni in the city of Karbala on May 9, 2021 following his assassination. (AFP)
Mourners chant slogans as they march during a funerary procession for renowned anti-government activist Ehab al-Wazni in the city of Karbala on May 9, 2021 following his assassination. (AFP)
TT
20

Wave of Assassinations in Iraq May Force Postponement of Elections

Mourners chant slogans as they march during a funerary procession for renowned anti-government activist Ehab al-Wazni in the city of Karbala on May 9, 2021 following his assassination. (AFP)
Mourners chant slogans as they march during a funerary procession for renowned anti-government activist Ehab al-Wazni in the city of Karbala on May 9, 2021 following his assassination. (AFP)

The wave of assassinations that has targeted activists in Iraq’s anti-government movement has prompted it to declare a boycott of the upcoming elections, set for October.

The latest assassination victim was Ehab al-Wazni, one of the most prominent faces of the protest movement. He was killed in the city of Karbala on May 9, drawing widespread outrage and condemnation among the protesters.

Ensuing statements of condemnation declared a boycott of the polls, with activists seeking to make their voices heard on the streets rather than the ballots.

Iraqi researchers welcomed the move. Haidar Saeed said that Wazni’s assassination would persuade the “October forces” to refrain from backing the elections.

In contrast, however, the traditional political forces are more determined than ever to hold the elections on time.

As it stands, the elections will be held as scheduled and the traditional powers are on course for victory, dashing popular hopes for radical change in the country.

On the ground, small protests have continued. Last week, protesters in al-Hillah were seen running away from the security forces, which locals said have been ordered to crack down on rallies.

The security forces appeared determined to end the protests with force not seen in the city since the anti-government movement erupted in October 2019.

In a voice recording obtained by Asharq Al-Awsat, an activist said that the federal police and security forces chased the protesters to their homes in a bid to quell their movement. Over 35 people were arrested.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an Iraqi officer said the armed groups have decided to limit the popular anger sparked by Wazni’s killing to Karbala to prevent the development from becoming a spark that lights a broader protest movement.

“The gunmen are ready to open a broader front with the activists. You can say that their list of assassination targets is on the table,” he revealed.

Activists spoke to Asharq Al-Awsat of a sense of fear that has gripped the regions in the central and southern Euphrates regions.

The boycott of the elections stems from the desire to avert more assassinations, they added.

However, leaders of the protest movement confirmed that the boycott is also aimed at postponing the polls.

The leaders have ruled out the possibility of holding the elections amid the current state of instability and the armed groups’ tightening grip over the Shiite population that makes up the bulk of the protest movement.

The officer told Asharq Al-Awsat: “It is no surprise that the government is helpless at the moment. Its sovereign decision-making voice has disappeared and the scene has been left to commanders, who are sympathetic with the armed groups.”

In Karbala, a meeting was held by the protest movement leaders aimed at garnering support from social groups, such as academics and syndicates, in an effort to study the electoral boycott.

Meanwhile, the postponement of the elections may present Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi’s government with an opportunity to catch its breath after it has been pushed to the side and proven ineffectual in ending the assassinations and holding the perpetrators to account.



Far-Right Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir Visits Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque Compound

 Palestinians attend Eid al-Fitr holiday celebrations by the Dome of the Rock shrine in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, Sunday, March 30, 2025. (AP)
Palestinians attend Eid al-Fitr holiday celebrations by the Dome of the Rock shrine in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, Sunday, March 30, 2025. (AP)
TT
20

Far-Right Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir Visits Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque Compound

 Palestinians attend Eid al-Fitr holiday celebrations by the Dome of the Rock shrine in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, Sunday, March 30, 2025. (AP)
Palestinians attend Eid al-Fitr holiday celebrations by the Dome of the Rock shrine in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, Sunday, March 30, 2025. (AP)

Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir visited the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem’s Old City on Wednesday, his spokesperson said, prompting strong condemnation from Jordan and Palestinian group Hamas.

The firebrand politician was visiting the site, which is sacred to Jews and Muslims, in occupied east Jerusalem after returning to the Israeli government last month following the resumption of the war against Hamas in Gaza.

Ben-Gvir had quit the cabinet in January in protest at the ceasefire agreement in the Palestinian territory.

Since the formation of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government at the end of 2022, Ben-Gvir has made several trips to the Al-Aqsa compound, each time triggering international outcry.

In a statement, the Jordanian Foreign Ministry condemned Wednesday’s visit as a “storming” and “an unacceptable provocation.”

Hamas called it a “provocative and dangerous escalation,” saying the visit was “part of the ongoing genocide against our Palestinian people.”

“We call on our Palestinian people and our youth in the West Bank to escalate their confrontation... in defense of our land and our sanctities, foremost among them the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque,” it said in a statement.

The site is Islam’s third-holiest and a symbol of Palestinian national identity.

Known to Jews as the Temple Mount, it is also Judaism’s holiest place, revered as the site of the second temple destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.

Under the status quo maintained by Israel, which has occupied east Jerusalem and its Old City since 1967, Jews and other non-Muslims are allowed to visit the compound during specified hours, but they are not permitted to pray there or display religious symbols.

Ben-Gvir’s spokesperson told AFP the minister “went there because the site was opened (for non-Muslims) after 13 days,” during which access was reserved for Muslims for the festival of Eid al-Fitr and the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

In recent years, growing numbers of Jewish ultranationalists have defied the rules, including Ben-Gvir, who publicly prayed there in 2023 and 2024.

The Israeli government has said repeatedly that it intends to uphold the status quo at the compound but Palestinian fears about its future have made it a flashpoint for violence.