‘Settlement Agreement’ Displaces 150 Syrians to Al-Bab in the North

Buses carrying Syrians from the southern countryside of Quneitra to the North. (Horan News)
Buses carrying Syrians from the southern countryside of Quneitra to the North. (Horan News)
TT
20

‘Settlement Agreement’ Displaces 150 Syrians to Al-Bab in the North

Buses carrying Syrians from the southern countryside of Quneitra to the North. (Horan News)
Buses carrying Syrians from the southern countryside of Quneitra to the North. (Horan News)

About 150 people from Quneitra, southern Syria, are being displaced to areas under the control of Turkey's loyalists, according to an agreement reached between the opposition and regime and sponsored by the Russian air base in Hmeimim.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that three buses entered Um Batna in the central countryside of al-Quneitra, ahead of evacuating 30 individuals with their families to northern Syria.

The buses will head to al-Bab area in the northeastern countryside of Aleppo.

Local sources told the Observatory that the buses carried the individuals wanted by the authorities for their involvement in “terrorist activities”.

The convoy was accompanied by the Russian military police, headed to Abu al-Zendin crossing in al-Bab located in the Euphrates Shield areas, which are under the control of the opposition factions.

The agreement provides for the displacement of 30 wanted persons with their families, in exchange for ending the blockade, within five days.

The wanted persons asked Brigadier General Talal al-Ali in Sasa security branch to release two young men from their hometown, as part of the agreement, resulting in the immediate release of one of them. The second is set to be freed within few days.

The Horan Free League said that the displacement comes within the framework of the final agreement between the Sasa branch and the notables of the region.

A displaced person asserted that Iran played a role in the recent developments in Um Batna, and that the Iranian militias are working to empty the area of young men to tighten their control over the area near the Golan Heights.

The agreement was struck after an escalation earlier this month when gunmen attacked an Iranian military post in Doha village near the border.

The regime forces responded to the attack with artillery shelling from Tal al-Shaar, which led to the displacement of several people towards neighboring villages.

A blockade was imposed on Um Batna, and forces closed its entrances threatening to enter the village unless 30 wanted young men were handed over to the authorities.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.