Egypt Says to Adopt Measures to Avoid GERD Water Crisis

Satellite image of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (AFP)
Satellite image of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (AFP)
TT

Egypt Says to Adopt Measures to Avoid GERD Water Crisis

Satellite image of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (AFP)
Satellite image of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (AFP)

Egypt has hinted at taking measures against any expected risks of a water crisis resulting from the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), as the negotiations have failed to reach a final agreement regulating the mechanism for filling and operating the dam on the main tributary of the Nile River.

Irrigation Minister Mohamed Abdel-Aty asserted that Egypt will prevent a water crisis, nor will it accept illegitimate unilateral moves, warning that Cairo can adopt a number of measures in response, without revealing further details.

The negotiations between Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan stopped after the last round held in early April in Congo failed to reach any solutions.

The two downstream countries, Sudan and Egypt, are demanding a binding legal agreement that ensures their rights.

Ethiopia began constructing the 1.8-kilometer-long GERD in 2011 to generate power, which it says is necessary to meet the electricity needs of its 110 million people.

Addis Ababa intends to begin the second filling of the reservoir during the rainy season in July.

Last week, the US Department of State said the GERD negotiations mediated by the African Union (AU) “must resume urgently.”

“The United States is committed to providing political and technical support to facilitate a successful outcome” to these negotiations, the statement added.

However, Abdel-Aty said that the US has not presented any proposals to resolve the dispute, adding that negotiations remain deadlocked despite the efforts exerted by the Chairman of the AU.

The minister emphasized that tripartite cooperation and data sharing are needed to ensure the downstream countries will not be harmed by GERD.

Egypt suffers from an acute shortage of water resources, and according to Abdel-Aty, wastewater is being filtered more than four times to face the water problem in the country.

He reported that Egypt is building more than 120 water mixing stations to make up for the shortage, and the High Dam reservoir will only be used in cases of drought.

He noted that there would be a “water shock” if Ethiopia started the second filling process, indicating that the dam holds 27 percent of the water share reaching the downstream countries.

The official also indicated that Egypt has taken several measures to ensure there won’t be a water crisis.

However, Abdel-Aty confirmed that Ethiopia's filling of the dam last year without coordination stirred problems with Egypt and Sudan, noting that Addis Ababa seized within one week, 4.5 billion cubic meters of water without informing the two countries.

Abdel-Aty stressed Egypt's keenness to reach an agreement on filling and operating the dam with a fair and binding mechanism for resolving disputes.

He pointed out that Cairo presented many scenarios that guarantee Ethiopia’s right to development without harming Egypt's water interests, including guaranteeing 80 percent of its electricity generation needs, but Ethiopia refused.

Abdel-Aty called on the Egyptian people to save water.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.