Iran Presidential Poll Campaign Makes Low-Key Kick-Off

Iranian judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi submits his candidacy for the country’s presidential election in Tehran on May 15, 2021. (AFP)
Iranian judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi submits his candidacy for the country’s presidential election in Tehran on May 15, 2021. (AFP)
TT

Iran Presidential Poll Campaign Makes Low-Key Kick-Off

Iranian judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi submits his candidacy for the country’s presidential election in Tehran on May 15, 2021. (AFP)
Iranian judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi submits his candidacy for the country’s presidential election in Tehran on May 15, 2021. (AFP)

Iran's presidential election campaign officially kicked off on Friday, without fanfare and in an atmosphere of indifference as many say the result is a foregone conclusion.

On the streets of the capital Tehran, for now just occasional posters urge Iranians to vote on June 18 with a "single voice", for the future of an "eternal Iran".

Hamidreza, a 41-year-old engineer, said he was hesitant about voting for the moment.

"I don't even know if I'll vote or not," he said.

Like others AFP spoke to, he declined to provide his surname.

The vote comes amid widespread discontent over a deep economic and social crisis, and after the violent repression of waves of protests in the winter of 2017-18 and in 2019.

Only two reformist candidates, neither with broad national appeal, are facing five ultra-conservative runners.

Hamid, a 52-year-old insurance agent, indicated he had already made his choice: ultraconservative judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi.

Raisi "really worked well in the justice system and did a good job at fighting corruption", Hamid said.

Iran’s candidate-vetting Guardian Council this week approved seven candidates to run in the election from a field of about 600 hopefuls.

The council -- a conservative-dominated, unelected body -- disqualified moderate conservative Ali Larijani and first vice-president Eshaq Jahangiri, as well as firebrand former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The move appears to have cleared the way for a strong run by Raisi.

But it also unleashed a flood of criticism of the Guardian Council and is expected to lead to an increase in voter abstention.

"I prefer not to vote than to make the wrong choice, or to have to choose between bad and worst," said Arezou, a private sector worker.

Larijani, an adviser to supreme leader Ali Khamenei and former parliamentary speaker, was seen as the only person capable of challenging Raisi, according to local media.

Raisi won 38 percent of the vote in the 2017 presidential election but was defeated by incumbent President Hassan Rouhani, who is constitutionally barred from running for a third consecutive term.

Rouhani, a moderate who has governed with the support of reformists and also moderate conservatives like Larijani, has been an advocate of detente with the West and of ending Iran's international isolation.

Instead, Iran was plunged into a deep recession after former US president Donald Trump torpedoed Rouhani's signature achievement, the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers which offered sanctions relief in return for Tehran's pledge never to acquire an atomic weapon.

The deal galvanized ultra-conservative opposition.

But with negotiations underway in Vienna on reviving the accord, it is not expected to be the focus of the election campaign.

Khamenei, who has endorsed a continuation of the nuclear talks to secure the lifting of sanctions, has taken the issue out of the equation for the candidates, urging them instead to campaign on economic issues such as youth unemployment.



US-sanctioned ICC Head Warns Against 'Demise of International Rule of Law'

(FILES) Judge Tomoko Akane arrives prior to the announcement of an International Criminal Court (ICC) verdict. (Photo by Eva Plevier / ANP / AFP)
(FILES) Judge Tomoko Akane arrives prior to the announcement of an International Criminal Court (ICC) verdict. (Photo by Eva Plevier / ANP / AFP)
TT

US-sanctioned ICC Head Warns Against 'Demise of International Rule of Law'

(FILES) Judge Tomoko Akane arrives prior to the announcement of an International Criminal Court (ICC) verdict. (Photo by Eva Plevier / ANP / AFP)
(FILES) Judge Tomoko Akane arrives prior to the announcement of an International Criminal Court (ICC) verdict. (Photo by Eva Plevier / ANP / AFP)

International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane of Japan warned on Friday against "the demise of international rule of law" after the United States targeted her with sanctions.

Washington sanctioned Akane and trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal on Tuesday as part of the Trump administration's campaign against what it calls a "corrupt and fatally politicized" body.

"The sanction against me this time was something I had anticipated to an extent, so I'm not surprised," Akane said in a statement released on X by her publisher Bungei Shunju.

"The important thing is not to let this be the beginning of the demise of international rule of law,” AFP quoted her as saying.

The measures bar Akane and Seye from entering the United States and from carrying out transactions in the US financial system.

Akane's statement -- her first public comments since the sanctions -- comes after the ICC on Wednesday called the US measures a "flagrant attack" on the court's independence.

The United Nations rights chief Volker Turk and top EU officials threw their support behind Akane and her institution.

Washington's latest move follows sanctions it imposed on several ICC officials, seen as largely in response to the court's investigations involving Israel, a US ally.

Japan has also objected to the sanctions on Akane, with the foreign ministry saying it "consistently supported the ICC... in its efforts to prosecute and punish the most serious crimes of concern to the international community and to uphold the rule of law.”

Japan is the biggest funder of the ICC and a close US ally.

Established in 2002, the ICC prosecutes individuals accused of the gravest atrocities and acts as a last resort when countries do not have adequate legal systems to ensure accountability.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio earlier said in a statement, without providing examples, that the sanctioned "individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction.”

The United States signed the Rome Statute establishing the ICC but never ratified the treaty. Israel, Russia and China are not ICC members either.

In 2023, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin over the war in Ukraine, prompting Moscow to issue its own arrest warrants for senior court officials.

These included Akane, 70, an ICC judge since 2018 who was elected as the court's president in March 2024.

"Even if one judge were to die, we are easily replaceable, so there is really no value in targeting us," she said after the Russian announcement.


Thousands of Migrants in Ceuta Wait in Limbo While Spain Figures Out What to Do with Them

Moroccan migrant Wafae Atid sits on her inflatable mattress as men walk along the road near the Temporary Immigrant Reception Center (CETI) in Ceuta, Spain, August 16, 2026. REUTERS/Maria Alejandra Cardona
Moroccan migrant Wafae Atid sits on her inflatable mattress as men walk along the road near the Temporary Immigrant Reception Center (CETI) in Ceuta, Spain, August 16, 2026. REUTERS/Maria Alejandra Cardona
TT

Thousands of Migrants in Ceuta Wait in Limbo While Spain Figures Out What to Do with Them

Moroccan migrant Wafae Atid sits on her inflatable mattress as men walk along the road near the Temporary Immigrant Reception Center (CETI) in Ceuta, Spain, August 16, 2026. REUTERS/Maria Alejandra Cardona
Moroccan migrant Wafae Atid sits on her inflatable mattress as men walk along the road near the Temporary Immigrant Reception Center (CETI) in Ceuta, Spain, August 16, 2026. REUTERS/Maria Alejandra Cardona

For weeks, migrants in the Spanish territory of Ceuta had gathered on a beach away from the city center, sleeping on cardboard sheets, under reed huts and guarding their few possessions in tattered plastic bags.

They were gone by Thursday morning after Spanish police escorted them to makeshift shelters. But an hour later, other migrants were combing through the trash they had left behind for anything useful: an abandoned mattress, plastic chairs, sheets, a scrap of tarp, The Associated Press said.

The scene exemplified the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Ceuta, where up to 10,000 migrants remain in the city weeks after more than 72,000 people poured into the small Spanish territory neighboring Morocco. Three weeks later, Spanish authorities were struggling to shelter and attend to those who refused to leave — or even determine how many migrants were still in the city of 84,000.

Within days of the initial border rush, in which at least 90 people died, most migrants went back to Morocco, realizing the difficulties of staying in Ceuta and their slim chances of reaching mainland Europe. But thousands remained, hiding in the woods, on beaches and outside a migrant reception center.

City officials estimate that 9,000 to 10,000 migrants — including about 2,000 minors — could still be in the city, based on the number of daily food rations handed out by aid groups. Spain’s interior ministry puts the figure at roughly 5,000 people.

Shelter for some migrants while others roam the streets

The US refugee agency highlighted large humanitarian and operational challenges in Ceuta in an interview with The Associated Press, specifically around access to shelter, basic services and food. While most of those who crossed in late July are from Morocco, people from war-torn Sudan, Mali and Yemen also reached the Spanish exclave.

The UN refugee agency urged Spanish authorities to start processing their asylum claims as soon as possible, estimating that about 1,200 migrants in Ceuta could be eligible for international protection, according to Paula Barrachina, a spokesperson for the agency in Spain.

The Spanish government says it is working to house the remaining migrants in the city, and return a sense of normalcy to Ceuta. On Thursday, Spain’s Minister of Inclusion, Social Security and Migration Elma Saiz said the government had secured space to accommodate 1,800 migrants in a parking lot and a military facility sometimes used for religious events. It is looking for more space.

Even so, an Associated Press photographer on Thursday saw migrants still roaming the streets. Elsewhere, hundreds of women and minors were sheltering in makeshift centers run by locals.

Khadija Rifai, a 20-year-old woman from Morocco, acknowledged that some people were receiving help, but didn't know what Spain planned to do with adults like her.

“They help the minors and the youngsters, but they haven’t found any solutions for us,” she said Wednesday.

Rifai said her life in Morocco was “normal” but in late July, she and her husband swam to the Spanish territory in search of better opportunities and healthcare. Rifai's husband was sent back to Morocco, but she hid from authorities and stayed on. She now hopes to reunite with him and eventually move to mainland Spain, where she wants to have children.

“Even though we suffered here in Ceuta, we hope that once we reach the mainland, life will be good and we will have a house, a car, and everything we dreamed of," Rifai said.

Discontent grows in Ceuta

Ceuta Mayor Juan Jesús Vivas accused the national government, led by Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, of not doing enough to control the situation.

On Thursday, Spanish police escorted several hundred people, mostly men, through the city’s streets to a shelter. Hours later, Vivas, a member of the center-right Popular Party, said the government’s decision to move migrants from the beach to other locations in the city did not demonstrate "a will to fix the problem.”

Spain's migration ministry said the government has allocated 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) in emergency funds to help the city cope with the new arrivals. Speaking in Ceuta this week, Migration Minister Saiz praised the work of local organizations in Ceuta and said 4,000 meals had been distributed every day since Aug. 3.

A ministry spokesperson said the Spanish government has to process every case on an individual basis. Before that can happen, police must identify those who entered the city illegally, verify every migrant's nationality and background, determine who qualifies for international protection and establish who must leave, either voluntarily or by force, he said.

Those who crossed await a path forward

Migrants in Ceuta say they are willing to wait out the uncertainty. Hundreds had gathered earlier in the week in protest on a beach in Ceuta, carrying signs reading “Asylum” alongside Spanish flags.

Mohamed Yaqoub, 18, a migrant from Chad hid for days in the woods after Spanish soldiers chased him in late July, he said. He managed to stay and wishes to someday study in France.

Getting there will not be easy. Travelers leaving Ceuta and Melilla, Spain’s other territory in North Africa, are subject to exit checks at ports and airports, an obstacle for those who enter the territories illegally and hope to reach the European continent.

“We ask them to allow us entry and give us the necessary papers and documents,” Yaqoub told an AP photographer in a cellphone note. “The most important thing for us is to get the papers.”


UN: DR Congo Ebola Outbreak 'Growing Exponentially'

People wearing protective clothing carry a coffin during a burial at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
People wearing protective clothing carry a coffin during a burial at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
TT

UN: DR Congo Ebola Outbreak 'Growing Exponentially'

People wearing protective clothing carry a coffin during a burial at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
People wearing protective clothing carry a coffin during a burial at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE

The Ebola outbreak raging in the Democratic Republic of Congo is growing "exponentially,” the United Nations' senior Ebola coordinator warned Friday.

The Ebola outbreak is already the biggest in the country's history having killed more than 2,300 people from more than 5,000 cases, according to the African Union health agency.

The virus eruption is "growing exponentially," Julien Harneis told reporters in Geneva, speaking from DRC.

On Thursday, the World Health Organization said Congo has been allocated 70,000 doses of Merck's Ervebo vaccine for Ebola.

Last week Congo had requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile, managed by the International Coordinating Group (ICG) on Vaccine Provision, according to WHO.

The health agency said the group allocated 70,000 Ervebo doses ⁠for Congo, of ⁠which 20,000 shots will be used in a late-stage trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus.

Geneva-based global vaccine alliance Gavi said they would provide $7 million to fund the shipment to Congo along with another $6 million to help with ⁠vaccination efforts in high-risk areas.

The ongoing outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, which has no approved vaccines or treatments.

"It is not known whether Ervebo may be protective against the Bundibugyo virus in humans," WHO said, stressing the importance of clinical trials to provide new evidence.

Ervebo is approved to prevent disease caused by the more common Zaire ebolavirus strain.