Lebanon: Questions Raised over FPM’s Strategic Alliance with Hezbollah

Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah (L) shakes hands with Christian leader Michel Aoun during a news conference in Beirut, Feb. 6, 2006. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah (L) shakes hands with Christian leader Michel Aoun during a news conference in Beirut, Feb. 6, 2006. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
TT

Lebanon: Questions Raised over FPM’s Strategic Alliance with Hezbollah

Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah (L) shakes hands with Christian leader Michel Aoun during a news conference in Beirut, Feb. 6, 2006. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah (L) shakes hands with Christian leader Michel Aoun during a news conference in Beirut, Feb. 6, 2006. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

The relationship between Hezbollah and the Free Patriotic Movement (FPM) has once again raised questions, with striking statements by the head of the FPM, MP Gebran Bassil, who said that the Mar Mikhael agreement signed by Lebanese President Michel Aoun with the party’s secretary general in 2006 “succeeded in preventing sedition but failed to build a nation.”

In recent media comments, Bassil announced that the presence of arms outside the authority of the Lebanese Army “is not normal, but an exceptional situation that must not continue.”

His remarks came following leaked information about differences between him and the representatives of the Shiite duo – Amal Movement and Hezbollah – over the formation of a new government.

Sources close to Hezbollah refused to comment on Bassil’s words.

“It is not the first time that Bassil launches such positions and it will not be the last; but our policy in dealing with our allies is not to comment in the media, but during our private meetings, if any,” the sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

On the other hand, FPM sources denied disputes between the movement and Hezbollah, saying Bassil had already spoken about the failures and the achievements of the Mar Mikhael agreement.

The sources explained that Bassil admitted that the presence of weapons outside the framework of the Lebanese army was not normal, “but at the same time he stressed that (Hezbollah)’s arms have protected Lebanon.”

“Discussing the defense strategy today is not a priority in light of all the economic, political and social crises that Lebanon is suffering from,” they added.

In comments to Asharq Al-Awsat, political analyst Qassem Kassir said that the head of the FPM “is trying to preserve all political options internally and externally.”

“Through his declared positions, Bassil wants to show that he is keen on his relationship with the party, but at the same time he puts forward new ideas that may open new opportunities for him.”

In response to a question about the party’s position on Bassil’s approach, Kassir said: “The party is keen on maintaining a good relationship with the FPM and does not want to pressure it at the moment.”

On the other hand, Lebanese Forces MP Wehbi Qatisha described Bassil’s words as “Hollywood stances.”

“When Bassil’s popularity erodes due to the alliance with Hezbollah - as we head towards the parliamentary elections - he resorts to such positions, which do not reflect his real stance,” Qatisha said.

“He is allied with the party but wants to send a message to his supporters to tell them that there are differences [with Hezbollah]. This is not true,” he added.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.