Israel’s ‘Shadow War’ on Iran’s Nuclear Facilities Gets More Complicated

A number of new generation Iranian centrifuges are seen on display during Iran's National Nuclear Energy Day in Tehran (Reuters)
A number of new generation Iranian centrifuges are seen on display during Iran's National Nuclear Energy Day in Tehran (Reuters)
TT
20

Israel’s ‘Shadow War’ on Iran’s Nuclear Facilities Gets More Complicated

A number of new generation Iranian centrifuges are seen on display during Iran's National Nuclear Energy Day in Tehran (Reuters)
A number of new generation Iranian centrifuges are seen on display during Iran's National Nuclear Energy Day in Tehran (Reuters)

Israel’s shadow war on nuclear facilities in the depth of Iranian territories is getting more complicated as Tehran announced last Wednesday it foiled a sabotage operation against one of its centrifuge manufacturing sites before Israeli sources confirmed the attack has caused considerable damage.

Quoting an Iranian familiar with the operation and a senior intelligence official, The New York Times said Thursday that the attack was carried out by a small quadcopter drone and it targeted one of the country’s main manufacturing centers for the production of centrifuges used at the two nuclear facilities, Fordow and Natanz.

According to the newspaper, the drone took off from inside Iran, from a location not far from the site and hit the structure. However, the person familiar with the attack did not know what, if any, damage had resulted.

Later, other media outlets hinted that Israel was behind the attack on the Iranian factory, which is believed to produce aluminum blades for use in Natanz and Fordow.

Channel 13 said Israel was behind the attack, describing it as the first operation carried out by Tel Aviv against Iran under the new government of Naftali Bennett.

The Jerusalem Post said that the sabotage operation against Iran’s nuclear facilities has caused major damage, despite Iranian denials.

It wrote that a 2017 Institute for Science and International Security report by founder and director David Alrbight and former International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) official Olli Heinonen stated that in 2011, the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran revealed the location as one of Iran’s centrifuge manufacturing sites, near the city of Karaj, referred to as the TABA site.

In its article, the New York Times said that although no one claimed responsibility for the attack, the Iranian centrifuge factory, known as the Iran Centrifuge Technology Company, or TESA, was on a list of targets that Israel presented to the Trump administration early last year.

The newspaper said that among the targets presented to Trump’s administration at the time, were attacks on the uranium enrichment site at Natanz and the assassination of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh in November and an attack on the Natanz plant the following April, damaging a large number of centrifuges.



France Plans to Take Iran to Int’l Court over Citizen Detentions

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025.  EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025. EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
TT
20

France Plans to Take Iran to Int’l Court over Citizen Detentions

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025.  EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025. EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET

Two French citizens held in Iran for almost three years have not had consular services for more than a year prompting Paris to prepare a complaint at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), France's foreign ministry said on Thursday.
Cecile Kohler and her partner Jacques Paris have been held since May 2022. Iranian state television aired a video later that year with them appearing to confess to acting on behalf of French intelligence services, something categorically denied by Paris.
Held in Tehran's Evin prison, France has accused Iran of keeping them in conditions akin to torture.
French officials have toughened their language towards Iran, notably over the advancement of its nuclear program and regional activities, but also the detention of European citizens in the country.
Speaking after a rare cabinet meeting to broadly discuss Iran on Wednesday, France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot indicated Paris would soon take the matter of violating the right to consular protection to the ICJ.
"We are putting together a complaint that we will file at the ICJ," Foreign ministry spokesman Christophe Lemoine told reporters at a news conference on Thursday, adding that the Kohler and Paris were being held in "shocking" conditions.
According to Reuters, Lemoine declined to say when it would be filed and acknowledged that procedures at the ICJ were long, but insisted that Tehran needed to be called out on the issue because the embassy and consulate had not had access to their citizens for more than a year.
"It's in violation of Iran's obligations," he said, citing the Vienna convention on consular relations.
In recent years, Iran's Revolutionary Guards have arrested dozens of dual nationals and foreigners, mostly on charges related to espionage and security.
Rights groups have accused Iran of trying to extract concessions from other countries through such arrests.
Iran, which does not recognize dual nationality, denies taking prisoners to gain diplomatic leverage.