WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
TT

WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.

The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomed on Thursday Saudi Arabia’s decision to allow only 60,000 residents vaccinated against COVID-19 to perform this year’s Hajj.

WHO representative to Saudi Arabia Dr. Ibrahim El-Ziq said the UN body supports the measures taken by the kingdom for this year’s holy pilgrimage because they are based on “scientific evidence to assess the risks.”

This reflects its good management of the health crisis, he said, describing Saudi Arabia’s response to the pandemic as “impressive” and the best in the region “if not the whole world.”

He also commended its mass vaccinations, noting that 70 percent of the residents have already received the first jab and will take the second shot in July.

His remarks were made Thursday during a virtual media briefing by the WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office (EMRO) on the COVID-19 situation in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and preparations for the Hajj.

WHO Regional Director for the EMRO Dr. Ahmed al-Mandhari, Director of Program Management at the WHO EMRO Rana Hajjeh, Deputy Saudi Minister of Health for Public Health Hani Jokhdar, El-Ziq and Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR Program Area Manager at WHO Dr. Dalia Samhouri took part in the virtual event.

“As of June 22, there have been around 179 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, including more than 3.9 million deaths, reported globally to WHO,” Mandhari said.

The Eastern Mediterranean region has reported around 10.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and around 213 500 deaths, he added.

He said the number of cases is declining for the 10th consecutive week, with the number of deaths stabilizing or declining slightly.

However, he said six countries in the region reported an increase in new cases last week, compared to the previous one.

The case increase in Oman and Yemen exceeded 20 percent, and Afghanistan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen have reported a more than 20 percent increase in the number of deaths.

Mandhari attributed these increases to the spread of variants of concern, non-compliance to preventative measures and vaccine inequity, which, along with vaccine hesitancy, is being witnessed globally and across the region.

“As of June 21, 2.4 billion vaccine doses had been administered globally, of which approximately 83 million were administered in the region, covering only 11 doses per 100 people (as of June 20).”

“While a handful of countries have high vaccination rates, eight of our 22 countries have vaccinated less than one percent of their population,” he noted.

Mandhari further stressed that the region still needs over 400 million doses to vaccinate priority groups – who make up 40 percent of the region’s population – by the end of the year.

“If countries immediately share doses with the COVAX Facility and if manufacturers prioritize COVAX orders, we will be in a better position to achieve WHO’s targets to vaccinate at least 10 percent of the population of every country by September, and at least 40 percent by the end of the year,” he explained.

The senior official pointed out that the COVAX Facility is playing an effective role in delivering vaccines to ensure the fastest, most equitable rollout of safe and effective vaccines to all.

“As of June 8, the COVAX Facility has shipped over 90 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to 131 countries, including to 21 countries in our region.”

More doses will be made available through COVAX this month to countries of the region, he revealed, especially to countries that have so far not received quantities sufficient to their needs.

He warned that variants of concern continue to circulate across the region.

“To date, 17 countries have officially reported detection of the VOC Alpha, 11 countries have reported the VOC Beta, three countries have reported the detection of the VOC Gamma, and seven countries have reported the VOC Delta.”

The WHO continues to observe how vaccine efficacy is affected by these new variants, but so far, vaccines are still proving effective against all new variants, he said.



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.