Sudan Receives Ethiopia’s Interim Deal Proposal on GERD

Sudan’s Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Yasir Abbas during a press conference (AFP file photo)
Sudan’s Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Yasir Abbas during a press conference (AFP file photo)
TT

Sudan Receives Ethiopia’s Interim Deal Proposal on GERD

Sudan’s Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Yasir Abbas during a press conference (AFP file photo)
Sudan’s Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Yasir Abbas during a press conference (AFP file photo)

A senior Sudanese official confirmed receiving an agreement proposal from Ethiopia last week regarding the second filling of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

However, the draft meets only one of Sudan’s four conditions to accept an interim agreement, according to the official.

The official revealed new details regarding the Emirati initiative to resolve the conflict between Sudan, Ethiopia and Egypt.

He told local media that his country is ready to accept the interim agreement provided that political and legal guarantees are available, under the supervision of the international community.

He also indicated that the deal must be established according to previous agreements, and should not include any discussion about water sharing, adding that it should not exceed six months to reach a final binding agreement.

The Ethiopian draft proposal is subject to the authority’s evaluation and the negotiating delegation, said the official, stressing that the interim deal should include Egypt.

“Ethiopia sets impossible conditions as it insists on raising the issue of water sharing within the negotiating agenda on the filling and operating of the dam.”

He explained that the Emirati initiative was presented to the three parties, and the draft established a general framework towards reaching an agreement, but “we see the need to expand it in the presence of an effective mediation.”

Sudan considers the GERD a “means of cooperation between the three countries, and rejects the hegemonic approach imposed by Ethiopia as a fait accompli by continuing the second filling without a binding agreement,” said the official.

He stressed that his country coordinated with Egypt the move to request an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council, aiming to overcome the differences with a legal agreement binding to all parties.

Sudan has taken technical precautions in its water facilities in anticipation of any step by Ethiopia to continue the second filling, which the official deemed a violation of international law.

Meanwhile, a senior government official said that Sudan submitted last week a request for an urgent session of the UN Security Council to discuss the GERD.

In the letter, Khartoum called on the council to urge Ethiopia to stop the “unilateral” filling of the dam, “which exacerbates the dispute and poses a threat to regional and international peace and security.”

She stressed that the dam is a national affair, and Sudan is committed to international law to resolve outstanding issues so that they do not threaten its national security and stability.

She warned against the political exploitation of the file, noting that it is dangerous and will not achieve stability and security in the region.

When asked about resorting to the military option to resolve the issue, the official replied: “We do not want war, and we will not resort to it.”

The official called on the UN, the European Union, African Union and US to urge Sudan, Egypt and Ethiopia to agree to resolve the dispute over the GERD.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.